Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This has more than likely been done quite a few times before but I'll ask again😬

So I'm looking for a another LS400 MK3 , mainly because I have lots of spare parts for the mk3 and I think the MK3 is the best looking of the LS400's (just my opinion of course)

It's difficult to find a good LS400 mk3 or even mk4 without paying the earth for one so my mind has wandered to the LS430 as there seems to be more 'apparently' good ones available. I have searched and know about the possible issues with the LS430, air suspension, radiator/transmission issue, delaminating windows and more electrics/electronics to go wrong etc.

There are varying opinions as to whether the LS430 is better than the LS400 or the LS400 Mk4 is the best of the LS400. If anyone has owned both models I would like your opinion on this if possible please? Once I had sorted all the issues out, the LS400 mk3 I had was without doubt the smoothest, quietest, most well engineered car I have ever owned or driven, the audio system was also the best I've heard in any car. Is the LS430 just as smooth, quiet and well engineered or better or is it not as good in those areas? I can of course have a test drive in an LS430, which I will, but a test drive isn't enough for me compared to owning, running and driving one.

Its a difficult one as everybody has different opinion on this one - the ultimate answer lies in you driving one!

Mine is a facelfit with 18 inch wheels

When I upgraded I thought the LS430 would be quiter and even smoother - its Not. 

In the LS430 the ride does not feel wallowy like in the LS400 and you may find that a negative. It fells well planted on the road though.

Postitives for me:

• Modern looks and interior
  • Keyless entry and starts - priceless
  • Soft closing doors and boot - love that so much that I find normal door slamming annoying,.
  • Smoother gear changes
  • No thud when engaging Drive on cold start
  • Materials and build quality is on par if not better and wears very well
  • Best headlights (light up) I have seen

Things to consider when buying:

• Delaminating windows applies on to pre-facelift
  • exhaust in not stainless - backboxes tend to rust - mine is still original at 157k
  • drivers side door rusts from inside
  • steering motors tend to fail
  • bonnet and boot struts are common failures

If you are happy to address the issues like you mentioned then they are just as reliable -  I have had 2 in 9 years and had no suspension issues. No electrical issues.

For me going back to 400 would be a downgrade and I don't know what would be considered an upgrade from this car.

Hope this helps

2 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Hope this helps

Thanks Mark, that does help. I will drive one of course which should give me an idea, so long as the LS430 is as quiet and smooth then that's good enough for me.

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

and the Ls400 Mk3 was the last with real glass headlamps too :wink3:

Malc

Good point malc - my 430 ones are starting to cloud at the top and infact I was googling the other for " glass lS430 headlights" knowing very well there is no such thing

Having had a 1998 Ls400 for about 10 years and put over 140K miles on it (for a total of 228K miles when the transmission quit), followed by a 2005 Ls430 for about 1 year (then written off by white van man) and now a 2007 LS600HL, I can say without the slightest hesitation that the LS400 was the best: it was the most comfortable of the three, it had the best ride, best all around visibility, the most space.  Major problem(for me anyway): I could no longer get the parts (not even from Lexus) to keep it going... Having said that the LS430 is a good car and has more technical toys.  One I had a problem with was the satnav screen which was playing up: nothing serious you might think except that on the LS430 many of the controls (a/c for instance) are accessed via the satnav screen.  Example : while you can change the a/c temperature via the dashboard buttons you cannot turn on the defrost, etc.  I changed the radiator as soon as I purchased the car.  I bought the LS600HL only because I couldn't find a decent LS430 at the time.  It has a bit more space in the cabin but the boot is so small you cannot imagine but here's the comparison: in the boot of the LS430 I could fit all 4 tyres (18in) in the boot of the LS600HL  I cannot fit one tyre (19in)!!!

It's a real difficult decision as they are all old cars and the parts situation will not improve...  

• Like 2

I've had both, I had a 2004 ls430, but then bought my old mk4 Dhp ls400 back. I bought some rear upper arms from yourself last year and got them fitted, had the cambelt and water pump done last August too, new rear brake cables and pads, discs and shoes. The ls430 is a nice car, the cabin is a very nice place to be in, but I had to get rid of it because I missed the ls400, why? It just feels better, its feels better built too, has road presence, it feels more comfortable, plus, you don't get the expensive issues the ls430 brings up.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your thoughts and experience, that’s exactly what I was after. I’ll keep looking for a mk3 LS400, the right one will come along eventually, although I may not be fit to drive by then😀

• Haha 1

That's very nice. They do look very special in darker colours.

Another indication of where the prices of these cars are going. I'll keep polishing mine :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Yep, seen that one and it is a good example. That’s how you would expect the 15k miles example to look.

Very true, when it says “MOTED” I personally think it’s mis-spelt and should say “MOATED” because it appears to have sat in one for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mk3 (I think it's a mk3 1995) LS400 for sale. good condition as well.  obviously a few age related marks. but I'm certainly not looking for 8k! like the one above! 

20210707_120257.jpg

20210707_120122.jpg

20210707_120050.jpg

20210707_115959.jpg

20210707_115933.jpg

Just now, Mbish91 said:

I'm fitting a new alternator to it friday as well! 

How much did you want for it? I have a mk4, but I also like shape of the mk1 2 and 3

Marcus hi, have you had her long ?  Reason I'm asking is the MOT notes about severe corrosion etc and perished tyre(s)

Thanks

Malc

Hey Malc, I have had her a total of 2 days... I checked underneath and only really saw any considerable corrosion in the rear arms and the rust bubble on the front left arch. as for the tyres they've started to show signs of perishing but still have 4mm all round and to be honest not bad at all, The mileage hasn't been much so it's sat around a bit as you'll see in the MOT intervals. Ran fine when I took it home. there are some lights on the dash, but these are washer fluid level, oil level, rear bulb and Battery. I'm hopefully fitting a new alternator this friday, changing the oil and washer fluid this weekend and getting up on a ramp to check he brakes properly.  

Also I've read elsewhere all those warning lights listed above, show when the alternator has failed. I've checked everything relating to them and everything is working strangely with no issue?!

43 minutes ago, Mbish91 said:

Also I've read elsewhere all those warning lights listed above, show when the alternator has failed. I've checked everything relating to them and everything is working strangely with no issue?!

Usually, its the Battery light that stays on, that would indicate alternator problem

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links