Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300 2009 - replace adaptive struts with normal KYB struts?

lapausa

Hi guys,

I am currently driving a facelifted Lexus GS300 (08+ model). My struts are adaptive, I believe the car came with them, but I might need to change them soon.

New adaptive struts are very expensive, and makes no sense for me to invest in them. They would account for probably at least 12% of the current car's valuation, add to that labor.

Is it possible to replace those with normal Gas-a-just struts from KYB? They go way cheaper and it makes (economical) sense.

I rarely control the dampers anyways, and I believe KYB will be in between the two modes.

This guy seems to have done exactly that - Replacing Lexus GS450H 2007 shocks with GS300 save some money and keep old car running a bit longer - YouTube

I have looked into this and apparently it can be done. I think I am going to do the rears with them as the cheapest I can currently find are about £300 each and i can get a pair of KYB for GS300 for £149 the pair! I think I can get the whole car done with new KYB GS300 shocks for a little more than 1 of the Lexus GS450h OEM rear shocks. 

I am just really doing some parts to the car to get a bit more life out of it till I can get some money saved up to change it a couple of years down the line. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI anyone thinking of doing this. I have tried 3 different companies that were apparently showing stock of these KYB shocks even had a confirmation email from one stating they had stock and if I ordered I could get them for the weekend. On every occasion I have had the order cancelled and refunded. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 1:18 PM, ZXSpectrum said:

I have looked into this and apparently it can be done. I think I am going to do the rears with them as the cheapest I can currently find are about £300 each and i can get a pair of KYB for GS300 for £149 the pair! I think I can get the whole car done with new KYB GS300 shocks for a little more than 1 of the Lexus GS450h OEM rear shocks. 

I am just really doing some parts to the car to get a bit more life out of it till I can get some money saved up to change it a couple of years down the line. 

Let me know how if goes. If you are having problems with your order, I would go through the German AutoDoc Group - https://www.autodoc.co.uk/

If you order through the app, you get more discount. Make sure to set your country in the app settings as "United Kingdom" to show you what parts can be delivered to you. I have never had issues with them, the delivery might take a week or 10 days, but that's fine with me.

Thanks for that. The only issue I have with using Autodoc is that everyone I know that has used them have had over a month wait for parts. 

currently I am considering BC Racing Coilovers from Driftworks. 

I am really doubtful it would take a month. No way. Today they are running a -35% and a KYB one comes at 93GBP. Delivery will be 5 more GBP or so. Racing Coilovers are something different, I would not go with such a solution tbh. But in any case, keep us updated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links