Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shell Optimax

Maz

can you guys tell me if the Shell Optimax fuel the same as the Super Unlead you get from other petrol stations? as i been told that my car will now need to run on Shell Optimax, but there isnt any Shell garage where i live, but they do do Super Unleaded, that why i need to know the different....thank guys....

There is a difference, Normal super unleaded is 97 RON, whereas optimax is 98RON

Thank matey, now i have to find a Shell garage that is as close to me as possible to feed my car with some Optimax then.... :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Maz,

you must use optimax if you don't you may have problems....

Bet shell have a map of all there stations locations on the internet.

You could use octane booster as well (spk to mark)

Thank Dave, how easy its to add octane booster? and which type?

Maz,

you must use optimax if you don't you may have problems....

Bet shell have a map of all there stations locations on the internet.

You could use octane booster as well (spk to mark)

Thank Dave, how easy its to add octane booster? and which type?

Just pour it in the tank when you fill up (put it in first)

Pop over @ Gaydon & i'll show you a tin so you can get some sourced

I use it as well as Optimax :whistling:

If it helps MAZ, I get around an extra 40-50 miles a tank more on Optimax than anything else i have used.

and i have to go out my way a bit to get it too :(

I never bother with BP round my way, its cheaper for me to do the shell trip.

Im going to give optimax a go next fill up. In past posts hasnt it been advised to reset the ecu or something before filling up with optimax, i have tried to find the relevant post but have had no joy. Anyone of you helpful fellas advise or send me in the right direction.

Try Sainsburys super unleaded, it's as good as Shell optimax, i reckon...

This is what I use too mate, will have to give the Optimax a go but it's a bit far away from where I live (and Sainsburys is about a mile away....). think it's only 97 RON though whereas Optimax is 98 so should be a better performer?

Slightly off topic I know - fuel's cheaper in the USA but I read somewhere that it's also a much lower RON rating and that the car's over there are tuned slightly different to cope with this?

I think the US uses 92, 94 and 96 RON.

And the 92 does suck :ph34r:

But i didnt care.....wasnt my car :)

My mate lives in Tampa, and his wife had a warning light come on, she went to the dealers and they told her it was because she was putting in the cheap stuff.............and they were right, the light never came on again.

And reg Optimax, it took 3-4 tankfulls before i really noticed the dif. (no i didnt reset it :) )

The US don't use the RON rating. The pumps are normally labeled with PON rating which is the average between RON and MON.

A 95RON (normal unleaded in the UK) has something like a MON of 87 and therefore the US pumps will show as 91 PON.

So somebody putting in 92 in the US is using better fuel than most poeple in the UK. Basically don't use 87 or 89 fuel in the US.