Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 Petrol.

bawdie

Hi to all in the club,
                                I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed as yet so here goes.
I have a 1997 very low mileage(68,000) Mk 1 GS300 Sport and I can't find out if my car would be able to run on the new E10 petrol as opposed to the standard un-leaded petrol.I've owned the car for 22 years and I'm reluctant to get rid of it so if anyone has any information on this could you please let me know.I guess I could give Lexus service a call and see what they recommend.
Thanks in advance.
Steve Bawden.

6 minutes ago, bawdie said:

I’ve tried that Herbie but it only goes back to 1998 on the Lexus models and that would be a Mk2 GS300.

And that would be telling you that your car can't use E10 then.

You'll be able to still run it on Super Power or whatever each brand calls their 'top' petrol though because that'll still be around for a long time yet. Sadly, it'll mean paying more but at least you'll be able to still enjoy your car.

15 minutes ago, Herbie said:

And that would be telling you that your car can't use E10 then.

You'll be able to still run it on Super Power or whatever each brand calls their 'top' petrol though because that'll still be around for a long time yet. Sadly, it'll mean paying more but at least you'll be able to still enjoy your car.

I’m slightly confused by this as I’m sure the Mk2 GS300’s have the same engine as mine.

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It 'should' be okay but the information only goes back to 1998 so we cannot be certain. Lexus GB won't be able to help you either 😞 

Thanks Colin.Lexus would be able to tell me if the Mk2 GS300 has the same engine and fuel system as my Mk1 hopefully.

7 minutes ago, bawdie said:

Thanks Colin.Lexus would be able to tell me if the Mk2 GS300 has the same engine and fuel system as my Mk1 hopefully.

It doesn't. The engine itself isn't a problem (although the MK1 and MK2 have different revisions of the same engine so aren't the same). But the fuel pump, injectors, rails are all different.

9 hours ago, bawdie said:

Oh ok Colin so it sounds as if I will have to run on the expensive petrol.

As I say, it should be okay but we just don't know. The changes made were because of general improvement and a complete redesign of the vehicle, not to make it compatible with E5 or E10 fuel.

But certainly the safest option is to use super unleaded whilst it is readily available.