Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

EMV to non EMV conversion

Delp

Hi all wanting to update my EMV to more modern unit. Know done bit of reading it does seem quite complex and lengthy. Wondering if any members have done this conversion and what head unit they have used and shroud as would be a gap. Any hell be appreciated. 

Cheers

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Delp said:

Electro Multi Vision

Never heard it called that before, more usually infotainment or multimedia head unit.

I've never had a GS430 so I can't help, but good luck.

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

Never heard it called that before, more usually infotainment or multimedia head unit.

It's an older term that was more appropriate before in-built screens displayed video or allowed multiple source inputs such as iPod, Bluetooth, USB etc.

The challenge you have with the GS430 is that the climate control system is operated via the screen, without any physical buttons, so you cannot lose that functionality. So you need a unit that fits in place of the old system but has enough room to accommodate all the existing computer system, plus accepts the input of the old system so you can still operate the climate. I'm sure there are systems out there but I'm not aware of them.

The other option is a unit such as the GROM VLine which will use the existing display but give you additional functionality - the problem there is the very small and low resolution of the factory installed LCD screen:

https://www.gromaudio.co.uk/products/vl1-infotainment-upgrade/lexus-toyota-2003-2005-grom-vline-infotainment-system-upgrade-video-interface-lex3vl2.html

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, Herbie said:

I've never had a GS430 so I can't help, but good luck.

Here you go Herbs, In Japanese too 😀

73A815C6-BAC4-45D8-90F2-AD2A5905CCEE.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delp said:

Hi I should of made it more clear the car in question is a Toyota Soarer not GS430. 

Oh Boy.....now it gets more complicated, when my OEM audio system packed up in my 1994 Celsior I had to hardwire a replacement in which involved tracing every speaker wire, running an aux output from the head unit to the sub amp positioned in the boot and finding 12 volt supplies.

Fortunately at the time you could buy a facia bracket for either single or double din which at least looked reasonable.

My 2004 Celsior still has the Japanese Sat Nav.....it’s staying that way too.

There are always some differences between JDM and the rest of the world models, circuit diagrams if you can ever find them are in Japanese making any jobs extremely difficult. Personally I would leave things as they are as once you start it’s difficult to go back and the last you you need is a blank screen or a cloud of smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

As a start, you would need to obtain a climate display module from a non EMV UZZ30 or JZZ30 Soarer. I am unsure if the EMV contains discrete leads for climate and stereo and whether it is a straight swap. Many climate displays have poor LCDs given the age. Mine has started to go on my 98 Soarer. 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, Newbie1 said:

As a start, you would need to obtain a climate display module from a non EMV UZZ30 or JZZ30 Soarer. I am unsure if the EMV contains discrete leads for climate and stereo and whether it is a straight swap. Many climate displays have poor LCDs given the age. Mine has started to go on my 98 Soarer. 

Hello have you done this conversion? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links