Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200d differential problem?

I have a 2011 is200d with a whirring coming from the rear and have been informed its coming from the diff. Although my garage hasn't had a look at the diff they've suggested it's the diff bearings.

Would a diff oil change help or possibly solve the issue? I've had the car 18 months but don't know when the diff oil was last changed - car is at 155k miles. My garage has suggested the oil change won't make a difference.

If the oil change didn't solve it I'd look at a recon diff, but can't find any is200d diffs, only is220d diffs. Do both models use the same diff? 

My garage is also looking at getting the diff reconditioned, but might be cheaper if I can get a recon diff of the shelf. 

Any help for this would be gratefully received! 

Thanks Andy

I haven't heard the noise, but my thoughts is why not try the cheap options first. Worth a go changing the fluid at another garage!  Seem very keen to replace.

James👍

2 minutes ago, JamesIS220 said:

I haven't heard the noise, but my thoughts is why not try the cheap options first. Worth a go changing the fluid at another garage!  Seem very keen to replace.

James👍

Thanks James, I'm looking to do the oil change myself as it looks relatively simple to do, hoping for a cheap fix! 

• Like 1

Looking at the parts list it appears that they both use the same differential part number 41110-53171 final drive ratio 2.474:1.

Must admit I’ve never heard of a diff failure on any Lexus model but wheel hub bearings yes.

4 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Looking at the parts list it appears that they both use the same differential part number 41110-53171 final drive ratio 2.474:1.

Must admit I’ve never heard of a diff failure on any Lexus model but wheel hub bearings yes.

Thanks Steve, very useful to know, I've managed to find some is200d diffs on fleabay so will have a look at the part numbers to compare.

Originally I thought it would be the wheel bearings, but have been told these are fine. Will be getting the jack under the car at the weekend so will have a listen to the wheel bearings and diff. 

• Like 1

No problem, if you do decide to change the diff oil just make sure the fill plug comes out before removing the drain plug....the last thing you want is to drain the old oil and find you can’t refill it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

No problem, if you do decide to change the diff oil just make sure the fill plug comes out before removing the drain plug....the last thing you want is to drain the old oil and find you can’t refill it!

Thanks, yes definitely, the plugs are fairly well corroded (and hoping they'll come out!!), so getting replacement plugs and gaskets ordered tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links