Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin Cross Climates Or Yokohamma

Whites

My car is in for service today and they say front two tyres need replacement, and have quoted for two yokohama tyres and i am sure that everyone says on these forums that the  Michelin Cross Climates are better for ride and noise , is this still the case , as they are more expensive than yokohama 

also i think its ok to have front and rears on different tyres but not on same axle !!

thanks

Second question yes it’s not a legal requirement but same tyres on each axle is best practice.

First question is personal choice, all I remember about Michelin tyres is back in the late 70s when I had them on my works van XZX was the type. Great until they got to around 4mm tread then useless in the wet and never considered them since. Technology moves on of course so all tyres in the 70s were probably crap compared with those of today’s.

I need new tyres on the IS. Got a quote from Lexus £114 per tyre for Yokohame Blue Earth.

Tyres on the Drive were £90 per tyre for Cross Climates.

I went for the cross climates as reviews on here say they are better, and saved £100.

37 minutes ago, Whites said:

My car is in for service today and they say front two tyres need replacement, and have quoted for two yokohama tyres and i am sure that everyone says on these forums that the  Michelin Cross Climates are better for ride and noise , is this still the case , as they are more expensive than yokohama 

also i think its ok to have front and rears on different tyres but not on same axle !!

thanks

I got rid of my yokohamas after 5000 miles and put michelin cross climates on. Never looked back.  What a difference.  Shop round for prices is my advice. You are correct re axle.

I replaced the original Yokos with Goodyear Asymmetric 5s, which have proved to be an excellent choice - especially in the wet, which is one of my main considerations.  They not only provided more reassuring road holding and handling, they were also noticeably smoother riding and quieter.

However, they weren’t my first choice at the time.  Originally I was going for Michelin CCs, but my Lexus demands two different tyre sixes, only one of which Michelin do.  We have them on another car and they too are an excellent all-round choice.  Only, on balance, I now think the Goodyears just shade it.

Incidentally, if you can shop at Costco, they often have offers on Michelin.

As for mixing tyres, I would never do it.  Putting different tread patterns and, probably, tyre compounds, on different axles could result in varying and unpredictable handling characteristics.  To me the risk is not worth whatever saving it might produce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I need new tyres on the IS. Got a quote from Lexus £114 per tyre for Yokohame Blue Earth.

Tyres on the Drive were £90 per tyre for Cross Climates.

I went for the cross climates as reviews on here say they are better, and saved £100.

Having read so much good here about these Michelin they will come on when the Pirelli on the CT need replacement.

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Having read so much good here about these Michelin they will come on when the Pirelli on the CT need replacement.

Do you need all season tyres there in the sunshine? 

I think it’s fair to say Yokohama don’t really get great reviews on the forum. I replaced them on my NX with highly reviewed Avon Tyres and they are just so much better!

Cross Climates get great reviews, but a bit like @steve2006i had previously bad experiences with Michelin (mid-2000s) and won’t consider them now. Regardless of that, the Cross Climates weren’t available in the exact specification for my NX (225/60/R18/100H).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Well worth a read John.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/92863/best-all-season-tyres-2020-top-all-weather-tyres-tested-and-reviewed

• Like 1

I have the crossclimate+ on the ES now. Still early days, but much quieter than the OEM Dunlops, but it's a quiet car to begin with.

I've had them on my Honda civic 4 door 1.5T MT since Feb. 2018 and for 78k+ Km (~48k miles). They have performed superbly in all conditions, and still have 4+mm on all 4 corners. They especially handle the dry no worse than a dedicated summer tyre (confirmed in the review John linked above). That Honda loves to corner, and they didn't disappoint. They handle the wet very well, and good enough in the snow that I've driven through snowstorms in Germany on my 50+ mile each way commute without batting an eye. At the time I put them on the Honda it was them and the Goodyear. Conti hadn't come out with theirs. But on balance, since most of our driving is summer/wet with some cold snow thrown in. I'd still pick them based on that review and prior experience. One caveat though, they do get noisy as they age, but show me a tyre that lasts to 50k and stays quiet and I'll buy it.

Also, 4 of the same on all 4 corners. To avoid this problem in the future, make sure your rotate your tyres at least every service (in the case of the CC+ only front to back). This will also prevent the sawtoothing/stepping that is common with all season tread designs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

My Michelin Pilots lasted 50k and stayed quiet Peni...... on my Merc Estate !

I think the sound deadening comparison between the merc and the honda would be a joke 😆. I'm hoping the amount of sound deadening/road noise reduction in the ES will produce a similar results to your merc now on the ES. I've had Michelin Pilots before on our Accord, they lasted a long time but got noisy. I'm thinking sound insulation plays a big role once the tyres get older.

1 minute ago, peniole said:

I think the sound deadening comparison between the merc and the honda would be a joke 😆. I'm hoping the amount of sound deadening/road noise reduction in the ES will produce a similar results to your merc now on the ES. I've had Michelin Pilots before on our Accord, they lasted a long time but got noisy. I'm thinking sound insulation plays a big role once the tyres get older.

Twas partly in jest old pal! The Merc is a diesel and 19 years old now. Generally a quiet car but the engine can drown out the tyres.

• Haha 1

That's certainly one way to keep tyres quiet 🤣

I've only ever driven a merc diesel as a rental, but it was one of the newish 220d ones. Even those were a bit noisy for my taste.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whites said:

Halfords are doing the Michelin cross climate SUV for £125 fitted at your home 

are these the same has the cross climate plus ??

Same tyre tread/compound, but different/taller sidewalls for sizes that SUVs need.

CC has been discontinued. I doubt they're just CCs. Check the sidewalls for date of manufacture before fitting. The non plus CC was discontinued in 2018.

Specific 2018 autobild CC SUV review https://alltyretests.com/michelin-crossclimate-suv-test-review/ (English version)

1 hour ago, serbarry said:

Do you need all season tyres there in the sunshine? 

No. Not at all.

If you know of summer tyres that are better I am interested.

Rain season here usually last between 5 and 10 minutes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

No. Not at all.

If you know of summer tyres that are better I am interested.

Rain season here usually last between 5 and 10 minutes.

If we can ever get back to GC we’re stopping there this time 😎

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

If we can ever get back to GC we’re stopping there this time 😎

We have tourists from UK here now. Down south of the island, place for holyday. For living we find the north side better.

56 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Does anyone replace the batteries in the TPMS sensors when they change tyres?

Looks like it's a right pain to do: