Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin Cross Climates Or Yokohamma

Whites

14 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

No. Not at all.

If you know of summer tyres that are better I am interested.

Rain season here usually last between 5 and 10 minutes.

Zotto here on the forum is very satisfied with the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 on his RX450H. It seems that they have performed even better than Continental in some ways according to the Swiss Touring Club. I have been positively advised and I have read positive reviews online about the Nexen N Fera SU4 and the Debica Presto UHP2. Both are labelled A on the wet and the latter are produced in the same factory as Goodyear. I personally try to avoid premium brands as I think that the higher cost is due to top quality of course but also to the name/brand. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, serbarry said:

Zotto here on the forum is very satisfied with the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 on his RX450H. It seems that they have performed even better than Continental in some ways according to the Swiss Touring Club. I have been positively advised and I have read positive reviews online about the Nexen N Fera SU4 and the Debica Presto UHP2. Both are labelled A on the wet and the latter are produced in the same factory as Goodyear. I personally try to avoid premium brands as I think that the higher cost is due to top quality of course but also to the name/brand. 

Maxxis are great tyres for mountainbike, second only to Schwalbe (for me) but they are not seen as quiet tyres on cars. In an RX450h I suppose it does not matter as the big car probably is quieter than a CT.

All in all it seems that all or at least most tyre companies are more interested in developing all season tyres as there are more market for these so the latest all season tyres may not be needed where we live, but may still be best choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Are they quiet? Or does it not matter when the engine is running?

To be quite honest John, I had them fitted in March in order to pass the M.O.T. and have not driven them 50 miles yet !!

I have had eye problems since the middle of February and not driven any of my cars since then.

I am booked to drive to Spain on 3 September, so I do hope I can be fit by then.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

To be quite honest John, I had them fitted in March in order to pass the M.O.T. and have not driven them 50 miles yet !!

I have had eye problems since the middle of February and not driven any of my cars since then.

I am booked to drive to Spain on 3 September, so I do hope I can be fit by then.

Get better my friend. Spain is a blessing in September compared to UK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I will do my level best John.🤞

I got new lenses in both eyes in 2001 - 2 or 3 as I had cataract and was not seeing clear. Since then I have had no eye problems. Was told that when I grow old I would need glasses to read, but maybe not yet old. Before the new lenses I used glasses; I was near-sighted and not allowed to drive car without glasses or contact lenses. That is still written in my driver's licence, nobody wants to correct that and I do not really care as I pass the tests when renewing my licence without problems. The plastic lenses are supposed to last longer than I.

Pretty sure doctors are better now, so go see a good one. Better to drive to Spain than to fly and sit in a cramped chair and needing a taxi to get around.

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Just come across this comment, John.  I’m very sorry to hear about your problem and I do hope that it’s resolved soon and you can get back to entertaining us with your tales of driving.

Glad to know, however, that it hasn’t effected your excellent sense of humour. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I got new lenses in both eyes in 2001 - 2 or 3 as I had cataract and was not seeing clear. Since then I have had no eye problems. Was told that when I grow old I would need glasses to read, but maybe not yet old. Before the new lenses I used glasses; I was near-sighted and not allowed to drive car without glasses or contact lenses. That is still written in my driver's licence, nobody wants to correct that and I do not really care as I pass the tests when renewing my licence without problems. The plastic lenses are supposed to last longer than I.

Pretty sure doctors are better now, so go see a good one. Better to drive to Spain than to fly and sit in a cramped chair and needing a taxi to get around.

Thanks John.

I cannot complain about the treatment which is first class, but the effect of the Pandemic has been to delay relatively low priority treatment. I have a follow up appointment on 3 August, then I need a second cataract op by one week prior to 3 September.

Not looking good really.

4 hours ago, LenT said:

Just come across this comment, John.  I’m very sorry to hear about your problem and I do hope that it’s resolved soon and you can get back to entertaining us with your tales of driving.

Glad to know, however, that it hasn’t effected your excellent sense of humour. 🙂

Nice of you to say that Len. Many thanks.

Were it to EFFECT my sense of humour Sir, I would be rather sad.

Since it has not AFFECTED my sense of humour, I remain your loyal and obedient servant Sir.🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Whites said:

Purchased 4 x cross climate SUV from Halfords with 15% of at the moment fitted on your drive for £127 each

I’m sure you’ll be very satisfied with them, Wayne.  And I’m relieved that you were able to go for the full set.

Out of curiosity - and because I’ve never gone for a home fitting service - does that include wheel balancing by means of van-based equipment?

• Like 1

104 is the correct rating for those tyres as they are XL (extra load) rated if I'm not mistaken. I had to learn this one out the hard way because of a dishonest German dealer.

Rule of thumb whatever your weight rating for a standard load tyre add 4 for an XL rated tyre, that is if you want to keep using the manufacturer recommended tyre pressures.

In my example: dishonest dealer only went 2 up rather than 4. I looked up the load tables per PSI and found that in order to maintain the recommended load per tyre I would have to go up 3PSI over the manufacturer recommended.

See here for a good table and notice the 100SL load limit is 1653lb at 33PSI while a 100XL is only 1466lb, you have to go to 104XL to get that load limit at 33PSI, or you inflate the 100XL to 39PSI to reach 1664Lb (https://tirepressure.org/general-metric-tire-load-inflation-chart).

Just had the 4 tyres replaced with Michelin cross climate SUV 225/60 R18 104W the hand book gives to pressure settings 

over 100 mph = 39 psi f&r

under 100mph = 32 psi f&r 

i assume most of you out there set at 32 , 

the book only covers the 100H

so not sure if the above correct ?

is this correct 

thanks

wayne

wow, so a load/inflation chart wasn't quite enough

Here: https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/content/dam/bscorpcomm-sites/bridgestone-americas/images/tiresafety/TireReplacementManual.pdf

go to page 12 of 55 of Bridgestone's manual to read the same thing I said above, quote from that page of the manual "Euro-metric reinforced or extra load tires may actually offer less load capacity at some or all inflation pressures."

Also here's another resource (https://tirepressure.com/225-60r18-tire-pressure) as long as your new 104 tire is XL/reinforced use the manufacturer recommended pressures.

Oh and H and W are speed ratings and have no role in load vs. inflation pressure calculations.

If you're up for a technical read see a paper from 2009 that defined the stiffness model in the new load calculations and note the two models in Figure 5 (last page).

inflation-pressures-at-less-than-maximum-tire.pdf

Finally pros and cons of XL rated tyres (https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/reinforced-tyres-advantages-and-disadvantages)

3 hours ago, peniole said:

wow, so a load/inflation chart wasn't quite enough

Here: https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/content/dam/bscorpcomm-sites/bridgestone-americas/images/tiresafety/TireReplacementManual.pdf

go to page 12 of 55 of Bridgestone's manual to read the same thing I said above, quote from that page of the manual "Euro-metric reinforced or extra load tires may actually offer less load capacity at some or all inflation pressures."

Also here's another resource (https://tirepressure.com/225-60r18-tire-pressure) as long as your new 104 tire is XL/reinforced use the manufacturer recommended pressures.

Oh and H and W are speed ratings and have no role in load vs. inflation pressure calculations.

If you're up for a technical read see a paper from 2009 that defined the stiffness model in the new load calculations and note the two models in Figure 5 (last page).

inflation-pressures-at-less-than-maximum-tire.pdf 353.77 kB · 0 downloads

Finally pros and cons of XL rated tyres (https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/reinforced-tyres-advantages-and-disadvantages)

Clear as mud that !  Just asking what the bonus contention rear what other tyre pressure is best or does everyone stick to the extract from the book i used above ?? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links