Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Prospective RC300h buyer needing advice

Hi Guys,

I currently drive a MK4 golf 1.6 on a 2003 plate. The car runs well but I've been looking for something newer for the last 6 months or so.

My initial thoughts were to get a Golf GTi on a 18 plate, it's a brand I know and my golf has been faultless in the 10 years I've owned it. I'm not a racer but the power delivery on test drive was nice. 

However,I stumbled across an RC300h and went to see one at my local Lexus Dealership. It was a 17 plate F Sport. My initial reaction was wow! What a looker. The curves, make the GTi look boring! Then I say inside and it was a level of fit and luxury I haven't experience before. The drive was smooth bit I missed the 'punch' of the GTi. On all other counts the lexus won out! 

Now I'm going to go and view one I quite like the look of. It's done 37k miles, from the Lexus Dealership. It's an F Sport and has the touch pad rather than the dial (the initial car I drove had the dial)

I'll post the link below but is there anything I need to look out for or be aware of when I go and view it? Anything in the options which you guys feel is a must? Not sure if it has the Mark Levinson sound system, would I miss it? Does the price look reasonable? Is there a chance to haggle?

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107024539055?atmobcid=soc3

Thanks

Himesh

I'd say go with the facelift if its in budget.

If you do high mileage, then you will certainly save a packet on fuel with the hybrid. But with very low depreciation on the F cars, the overall running costs may not be that different, especially with a little man-maths 

Theyre very good cars and extremely reliable. If youre coming from a 1.6 Golf you wont notice any performance issues, in fact, its probably a lot more punchy. 

The touch pad vehicles are a higher spec than the rotary dial versions. You get a lot more that you cant see on the touch pad vehicles, especially pre-facelift which includes a much better sound system than the 6 speaker versions on the cars with a dial.

Also bear in mind that the new VW's arent built like they used to be. They have a lot of common issues, especially the EA888 engines

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

I am the proud owner of a 2019 Sonic Blue F-sport with Takumi pack. Couldn't be happier and looking forward to my ownership experience. Already getting admiring looks from the neighbours!

Initial thoughts are that it is so smooth, and you're right punchier than my golf but wouldn't call it a fast car. The seats are really supportive and I love the little touches like the steering wheel greeting you on ignition and the dial moving across to reveal more information on the dash. The infotainment system is not intuitive and actually quite long winded to use. I think I need to familiarise myself with the voice commands. Mark Levinson sound system after setting up is also a little underwhelming.

Having said that. I got it home and when I went to take it out for a drive later yesterday evening it wouldn't switch on. I rang Lexus Assistance and the AA were there within 5 mins! He checked the 12v Battery in the boot and the Battery in both keys. They were fine. The only way to switch the car on is to place the key next to the start button and then press it in. It's booked in with Lexus to investigate on Wednesday. Not the start I was hoping. The AA mechanic thinks it something with the signal reader in the car.

Anyone have a clue what it could be? 

1129298221_PXL_20210711_161900493.PORTRAIT2.jpg

56 minutes ago, Himesh said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

I am the proud owner of a 2019 Sonic Blue F-sport with Takumi pack. Couldn't be happier and looking forward to my ownership experience. Already getting admiring looks from the neighbours!

Initial thoughts are that it is so smooth, and you're right punchier than my golf but wouldn't call it a fast car. The seats are really supportive and I love the little touches like the steering wheel greeting you on ignition and the dial moving across to reveal more information on the dash. The infotainment system is not intuitive and actually quite long winded to use. I think I need to familiarise myself with the voice commands. Mark Levinson sound system after setting up is also a little underwhelming.

Having said that. I got it home and when I went to take it out for a drive later yesterday evening it wouldn't switch on. I rang Lexus Assistance and the AA were there within 5 mins! He checked the 12v battery in the boot and the battery in both keys. They were fine. The only way to switch the car on is to place the key next to the start button and then press it in. It's booked in with Lexus to investigate on Wednesday. Not the start I was hoping. The AA mechanic thinks it something with the signal reader in the car.

Anyone have a clue what it could be? 

1129298221_PXL_20210711_161900493.PORTRAIT2.jpg

The ML should have an equaliser somewhere. It's an audiophile system so don't expect heavy bass. It focuses on clarity 

So the car not turning on, does it give a warning? Like key not detected or something. I would put my bets on the key Battery still. It appears the backup Battery is working well though as when you touch the button with the key it's using the backup Battery in the key

Thanks - yes not thumping bass but to be fair not had a great chance to test it properly.

The AA mechanic changed the Battery in on key. He also said that it's strange that both keys have stopped working at the same time. So probability is the car. Just before the problem occured, I was sat with the ignition on setting up the sat nav favourites. The display behind the steering wheel said something like hybrid Battery something...put it on park. It was already in park.

After that the car **** down and I couldn't get it to power on. Only when the AA came did he show me the way to hold the key next to the start button. 

As I've only had the car for less than a day I don't really have anything else to go on or experience with Lexus. 

10 minutes ago, Himesh said:

Thanks - yes not thumping bass but to be fair not had a great chance to test it properly.

The AA mechanic changed the battery in on key. He also said that it's strange that both keys have stopped working at the same time. So probability is the car. Just before the problem occured, I was sat with the ignition on setting up the sat nav favourites. The display behind the steering wheel said something like hybrid battery something...put it on park. It was already in park.

After that the car **** down and I couldn't get it to power on. Only when the AA came did he show me the way to hold the key next to the start button. 

As I've only had the car for less than a day I don't really have anything else to go on or experience with Lexus. 

It's could be the main 12v Battery. You honestly are better off just leaving the car on whilst setting it up as it helps avoid discharging the 12v Battery

There are a few things which are very different in hybrids compared to a normal vehicle that you need to be aware of 

I agree with Rayaan on this one, with it being a hybrid, you definitely are better leaving it on. As to the ML equaliser, there definitely was something in the audio settings when I had an RC300h, along with 'fader', and 'balance'. Can't remember where exactly now.

Also, I noticed a big difference in performance when I put it in Sport or Sport + mode compared to the other modes, in terms of throttle reponse, handling, etc.

18 minutes ago, Himesh said:

The display behind the steering wheel said something like hybrid battery something...put it on park. It was already in park.

It was in Park but was it in Ready mode or simply IGN on?

The 12v Battery really doesn't have much in reserve (it only has to boot the computers and power the entry system) so I always put the car into Ready mode if I'm 'playing' with settings etc.. Definitely when just parked up listening to music whilst Mrs Nemesis spends the money...

The ML audio is streets ahead of the standard offering (I've had both versions, first RC was the pre-facelift) but I don't recall finding an equaliser setting menu. Just finding the fader is a faff..

Thanks for the responses everyone, seems like a really friendly forum. 

It didn't come with a handbook - i understand that the PDFs are online and we are to download them (thats what the salesperson said).

I didn't know about the 'ready' light. The dealership i bought it from was not a Lexus one, so he was not much help with questions around 'how to' do things in the car. I'll unsure when 'playing' with the settings it's 'Ready'.

I found the Fadar and Balance, didn't see an equalizer but will have a play again.

I'll let you know what Lexus say about the matter when I've got it back - they want to keep it for a day. 

Despite this niggle I am pleased with my purchase. I like the exclusivity and its such a step up from my previous car. 

7 minutes ago, Himesh said:

It didn't come with a handbook - i understand that the PDFs are online and we are to download them (thats what the salesperson said).

Yup, download from the Lexus website

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/manuals/#hero

While you're there sign up to My Lexus (top right of page) and input car details for service history etc, etc..

• Like 1

Just heard back from Lexus. The starting issue, the technician said, was because of a setting I had changed in one of the menus. He said it is working fine now. So just about to go and pick it up.

• Like 1

Be interesting to know what the setting was?

Can’t remember finding a ‘do not start’ setting in the manual 😊

Glad it’s sorted and hope you have many miles of trouble free driving.

There is a setting to disable the smart entry system  - presumably to reduce risk of key clone theft. I’ve used it in the past and when set it does require you to hold the key against the start button in order to start the car. You should though have still been able to open the car using the buttons on the fob but not the sensor on the car door handle. I’d have been suspicious of the 12v main Battery as well though. It doesn’t tolerate being used to fiddle with settings for any length of time unless you are in ready mode. This was stressed to me by the Lexus dealer that sold the car to me on handover.

It’s well worth downloading both manuals from the website and having a browse. There are a lot of settings that you can customise……….😂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bjf101 said:

There is a setting to disable the smart entry system  - presumably to reduce risk of key clone theft. I’ve used it in the past and when set it does require you to hold the key against the start button in order to start the car. You should though have still been able to open the car using the buttons on the fob but not the sensor on the car door handle. I’d have been suspicious of the 12v main battery as well though. It doesn’t tolerate being used to fiddle with settings for any length of time unless you are in ready mode. This was stressed to me by the Lexus dealer that sold the car to me on handover.

It’s well worth downloading both manuals from the website and having a browse. There are a lot of settings that you can customise……….😂

Absolutely spot on that was the setting when he showed me! I downloaded and printed both manuals, you would have thought a premium marque would include them 🙄. Lots of pages. 

Just a quick question about the car. Does it have Android Auto? I don't think it does as I can't find a setting for it but just making sure. 

Btw. They have me a UX as a courtesy car, which wasn't as nice inside.

Also they changed the fuel pump due to an outstanding recall. Overall a pleasant experience at the stealers. 

1 hour ago, bjf101 said:

There is a setting to disable the smart entry system  - presumably to reduce risk of key clone theft.

It stops the possibility of a relay attack, and reduces Battery drain a little which could be useful if leaving the vehicle for days. It doesn't stop key cloning - which isn't an issue anyway without physical access to the key.

54 minutes ago, Himesh said:

Just a quick question about the car. Does it have Android Auto?

Unfortunately not, it isn't available on the RC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himesh said:

Absolutely spot on that was the setting when he showed me! I downloaded and printed both manuals, you would have thought a premium marque would include them 🙄. Lots of pages. 

Just a quick question about the car. Does it have Android Auto? I don't think it does as I can't find a setting for it but just making sure. 

As already advised sadly no option to update to include android auto or car play. They do come though with 3 years of map care from date first registered as new. You should therefore be able to update the maps to the latest version if not already done. There’s more than one way of doing this but I’ve found the Lexus tech EU site the easiest. Some dealers will update the maps free of charge when they do a service, others will charge for it.

4 minutes ago, bjf101 said:

As already advised sadly no option to update to include android auto or car play. They do come though with 3 years of map care from date first registered as new. You should therefore be able to update the maps to the latest version if not already done. There’s more than one way of doing this but I’ve found the Lexus tech EU site the easiest. Some dealers will update the maps free of charge when they do a service, others will charge for it.

Thanks for that tip. Is there a YouTube guide on how to do this? Or a how to sticky on this site?

Failing that would you be kind enough to post on this thread how to do it? Thanks