Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Run flat tyres

4 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Just out of curiosity, suppose you changed from RF to non RF did not inform your insurance and cause a pretty big accident of lets say 100k damage plus your own car write off. Your fault no debate possible. What would the insurer do? will they investigate and say hang on look at the tyres you changed spec did not inform us so according to our rules we will not pay for your damage?

A distinct possibility Bernard. It is not for us Members to answer the question however,  it is for the Policyholder`s Insurance Company to pursue its own investigation in the manner it thinks fit and appropriate..

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Just out of curiosity, suppose you changed from RF to non RF did not inform your insurance and cause a pretty big accident of lets say 100k damage plus your own car write off. Your fault no debate possible. What would the insurer do? will they investigate and say hang on look at the tyres you changed spec did not inform us so according to our rules we will not pay for your damage?

Been there done that. The insurance investigator only looks at the tyre tread, size and speed rating. 

They don't look at half of the things that people on forums expect them to. It's more about safety on the road and run flats provide no extra safety over normal tyres 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Logically......if the accident was caused by a  eg...tyre blow out.....I kinda think that they would be in their rights to refuse a claim ?

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

Been there done that. The insurance investigator only looks at the tyre tread, size and speed rating. 

They don't look at half of the things that people on forums expect them to. It's more about safety on the road and run flats provide no extra safety over normal tyres 

No extra safety ?.....obviously they do......less prone to blow-outs.....or the effects of sudden punctures ......no need to change tyre at side of motorway, or busy road?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cur666 said:

Logically......if the accident was caused by a  eg...tyre blow out.....I kinda think that they would be in their rights to refuse a claim ?

Legally they can't. Reason being that a normal tyre can be used on the road. If it's a certified tyre there shouldn't be any problems. 

21 minutes ago, cur666 said:

No extra safety ?.....obviously they do......less prone to blow-outs.....or the effects of sudden punctures ......no need to change tyre at side of motorway, or busy road?

Changing tyres at the side of a motorway or busy road is a practical affair, not a safety related issue. 

Run flats are not less print to blow outs. They're actually more likely to have sidewall protrusions and more likely to cause cracked wheels. 

The likelihood of a puncture is probably very miniscule. I do over 20k miles a year and haven't had a puncture in over 6 years.

The majority of BMW owners have removed these dreaded things and all the better for it! 

• Confused 1

Why take the chance, no matter how small, the insurance company could find wiggle room? Just tell them, if it is a ' non-event' as some believe then nothing lost. Better find out now than after an unfortunate event?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Which UX models come with runflats please? Is it all or is it wheel size dependent?

Grades with 18" wheels.

I don't really understand why there is a difference; 17" with goo and 18" with runflats. I can only think that Lexus load up the more expensive 18" models with more expensive runflats - personally I'd want 18" with goo.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

Grades with 18" wheels.

I don't really understand why there is a difference; 17" with goo and 18" with runflats. I can only think that Lexus load up the more expensive 18" models with more expensive runflats - personally I'd want 18" with goo.

Great thanks 👍

I only ask because this means the loaner I had definitely had runflats. The ride seemed absolutely fine and I’d therefore be perfectly happy with a UX with runflats.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I only ask because this means the loaner I had definitely had runflats. The ride seemed absolutely fine and I’d therefore be perfectly happy with a UX with runflats.

I have no issue with the ride, although it may be better with normal tyres. I just find the ones fitted my mine to be extremely noisy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Great thanks 👍

Until you take them off I guess.

They're so noisy though instead! 

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Until you take them off I guess.

They're so noisy though instead! 

Agreed. Probably similar to replacing the OE Yokohamas with Goodyear’s on my NX. 

On 8/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, rayaans said:

The majority of BMW owners have removed these dreaded things and all the better for it! 

^^ Really? I’m not sure we can say it’s definitively ‘“…the majority.” I’d personally be surprised if it is as most newish BMWs are more likely to be company cars or on a PCP or lease. I’d guess most of those people don’t really think about such things or own the car for long enough to need new tyres. Even with older cars, I’d also guess that more people simply take their car to the tyre fitter and ask for recommendations. That’s certainly my experience with friends and family. A forum like this won’t - again in my experience - be representative of the general motoring public.

Based on my continuing seventeen year ownership of a BMW MINI with runflats, that community is pretty split on the pros and cons. For the R50, which was designed to use them, quite a few people who moved away from runflats have gone back as the technology has improved (myself included). It’s a personal choice of course, and it does seem that different owners react differently to tyres and have different perceptions. I can say that my current Dunlop runflats are a world away from the original Pirelli runflats, and that they are also ‘better’ for that car - that is they seem to suit it more - than the non-runflat Michelin I ran in the interim years.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, rayaans said:

Legally they can't. Reason being that a normal tyre can be used on the road. If it's a certified tyre there shouldn't be any problems. 

Changing tyres at the side of a motorway or busy road is a practical affair, not a safety related issue. 

Run flats are not less print to blow outs. They're actually more likely to have sidewall protrusions and more likely to cause cracked wheels. 

The likelihood of a puncture is probably very miniscule. I do over 20k miles a year and haven't had a puncture in over 6 years.

Legally...they can...you've changed the manufacturers specification.

Changing a tyre on the motorway or any busy road ..is definitely a safety issue?

Runflats are less prone to blowouts and more likely to  sidewall protrusions ??  Where can I find this information?

The majority of roadside assistance call-outs.... are for flat batteries.....and then...flat tyres !

2 minutes ago, cur666 said:

Legally...they can...you've changed the manufacturers specification.

Canging a tyre on the motorway or any busy road ..is definitely a safety issue?

Runflats are less prone to blowouts and more likely to  sidewall protrusions ??  Where can I find this information?

The majority of roadside assistance call-outs.... are for flat batteries.....and then...flat tyres !

No they can't. It's really quite simple. If you use that logic, you'd simply not be able to put anything on your car that's not a manufacturer part. Aftermarket brake pads, windscreen wipers, winter tyres, the list goes on and on. Ebc brake pads? Nope. Bosch windscreen wipers. Definitely not. Winter tyres? No can't do that as it doesn't come from factory. Heck, you wouldn't even be able to change the brand of tyre.

Changing tyres on the side of the road is not a safety issue. I've already said it's a practical one. It's your choice whether you want to do that or just call out the AA

Run flat tyres are more of a safety issue in themselves. I don't think people understand how twitchy they make the car feel and react until they drive the same car without them

On 8/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, dutchie01 said:

I see this article from an Insurance expert on Honest John says no need to inform if doing it the other way - Non RF to RF

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/141618/do-i-need-to-tell-my-insurer-if-i-fit-run-flat-tyres-

However if fitting non RF from RF then he previously advised that you should notify your insurance

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/82539/do-i-need-to-notify-my-insurer-of-a-modification-if-i-change-my-runflat-tyres-

I would err on the side of caution if changing on a new vehicle and advise them. Although I think its highly unlikely it would be an issue most of the time, in the circumstances you suggest without doubt they'd drill down into the small print. Ultimately it would be down to the underwriters I guess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Winter tyres? No can't do that as it doesn't come from factory.

^^ My previous insurance company - Direct Line - told me that they did indeed need to be informed when fitting Winter tyres. I’m now with Aviva and will telephone them to inform them too when they are re-fitted for this Winter.

Whether it would have caused an issue if I’d needed to make a claim when the Winter tyres were fitted (and if I hadn’t told them) is a moot point - I’d rather check and be transparent just in case. When I first had Winter tyres fitted a few years ago the Honda dealer advised me to check with my insurance company, which I did and have done ever since.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I see this article from an Insurance expert on Honest John says no need to inform if doing it the other way - Non RF to RF

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/141618/do-i-need-to-tell-my-insurer-if-i-fit-run-flat-tyres-

However if fitting non RF from RF then he previously advised that you should notify your insurance

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/82539/do-i-need-to-notify-my-insurer-of-a-modification-if-i-change-my-runflat-tyres-

I would err on the side of caution if changing on a new vehicle and advise them. Although I think its highly unlikely it would be an issue most of the time, in the circumstances you suggest without doubt they'd drill down into the small print. Ultimately it would be down to the underwriters I guess.

It is what is contained within the insured`s Contract Doog, not the opinion/view/statement contained in a newspaper/journal etc.

2 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ My previous insurance company - Direct Line - told me that they did indeed need to be informed when fitting Winter tyres. I’m now with Aviva and will telephone them to inform them too when they are re-fitted for this Winter.

Whether it would have caused an issue if I’d needed to make a claim when the Winter tyres were fitted (and if I hadn’t told them) is a moot point - I’d rather check and be transparent just in case. When I first had Winter tyres fitted a few years ago the Honda dealer advised me to check with my insurance company, which I did and have done ever since.

Exactly my experience with insurers, some do, some don't but nothing lost by informing them.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Exactly my experience with insurers, some do, some don't but nothing lost by informing them.

"If you alter or modify your vehicle from the manufacturers original specification without informing your insurance company, you are at risk of having your policy declared void."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It is what is contained within the insured`s Contract Doog, not the opinion/view/statement contained in a newspaper/journal etc.

But but but ...its HJ and the guys an expert :wink3:. Hence I threw in the underwriters in the last sentence. I'm going to be brutally honest here and say I don't think I've ever read my T&C's fully. I'm aware of the modification aspect but its a short phone call to confirm, so easily done. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, doog442 said:

But but but ...its HJ and the guys an expert :wink3:. Hence I threw in the underwriters in the last sentence. I'm going to be brutally honest here and say I don't think I've ever read my T&C's fully. I'm aware of the modification aspect but its a short phone call to confirm, so easily done. 

Don`t be fooled Doog. HJ is an expert, but the website you used is not the original HJ !

The original HJ site was taken over by a publishing outfit and trades under HJ`s good name.

It is important to read all T & C`s but it is not always possible to understand. Your phoning idea is good,but remember to make a note of your call;date, time, name of person spoken to advice rec`d etc.

• Like 1

Banks, Insurance Companies and the Tax Office are not your friend and you certainly dont want you as your enemy. They are all friendly as long as the money goes in one direction, theirs. If you report a substantial claim the first thing that ll happen is for them to see if they can prevent paying and the bigger the sum the more rigurous their handling will be. Handling of a 5k claim will be swift and easy but now try getting 100k or more you could be in for a surprise.

On the topic of wintertyres Germany is interesting. Officially by law not mandatory but your insurer will not pay anything if you get into an accident on slippery winter roads and have no winters! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It is important to read all T & C`s but it is not always possible to understand. Your phoning idea is good,but remember to make a note of your call;date, time, name of person spoken to advice rec`d etc.

Dont phone thats how we did it in the old days. Send a mail and wait for their written response

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links