Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to the ES forum section

Mike246

Hi all.

This is my first post as I have an ES (Premium Edition) on order for early-September. This will replace my GS300 which I've owned and loved since 1998. I also have an IS250C which is kept in readiness for when the sun comes out.

I have been occasionally active on the US forum but not the UK one. It seems that the ES has not been a great seller in the UK and the dealers I have engaged with agree with this. I don't care, it floats my boat and it has worked in my favour when it came to final pricing.

I've picked-up from previous posts that one has to beg to get a copy of the navigation manual. Any there any other nuggets of information or general advice which might help me?

Mike

Welcome to the forum. Floats my boat too. Don't mind the scarcity at all either. My car history is full of left field picks anyway.

I got the abridged two in one manual in print with the car, and have the full ones as searchable PDFs.

Swapped tyres at delivery.

Wanted all seasons so I wouldn't have to do the summer winter tyre swap dance. Car comes with Dunlop sport maxx 050 summers. Sometimes other brand tyres, but also summers.

peniole, Is yours the April 2021 facelift model and does it have the larger display? I ask as the most recent PDF documents on the Lexus portal are dated 2020 and may not be up to the latest software.

Also is there a spare wheel or is it just a tube of adhesive and your bus-fare home? 

2 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Is yours the April 2021 facelift model and does it have the larger display?

The facelift has only been announced. It doesn't go on sale until near the end of the year with deliveries probably starting in Jan/Feb 2022.

Colin,

Thanks for your input. I didn't know a revision is planned for early next year. No matter - I like the car as it is.

I was referring to the April update with the introduction of the Premium Edition.

2 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Colin,

Thanks for your input. I didn't know a revision is planned for early next year. No matter - I like the car as it is.

I was referring to the April update with the introduction of the Premium Edition.

Yes it's the April update premium edition with the 12.3" screen (but not the newly announced touchscreen). No spare wheel. You are right the portal manual is dated 08.2020 and is not completely up to date, or at least wrong in some areas (e.g. you can choose a destination off the map, not mentioned in the PDF manual).

About the lack of spare wheel here's a thread in the ES section all about it. Apparently Lexus roadside assistance (AA) will do a temporary plug rather than use the goo to get you on your way. So we should be ok (fingers crossed) and not have to replace the TPMS just because of a flat/goo incident. Otherwise a GS spare and an ordered styrofoam mold cover from the US, should do the trick.

12 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Colin,

I changed from a 69 plate to a 21 plate last month - F Sport with Takumi on both models. Picked up a few more toys - BSM/RCTA and a 360 pano camera. The deal cost me nothing to change as I lease and I agree; I like the MY21 as is. I’m not sure on the new front lights and the touch screen on the MY21 facelift.

Steve,

Hi. There is something about your post that speaks volumes. My order for the ES is based on perception rather than experience and in the case of Lexus (or is it Lexi) I have never got it wrong. If I can assume you had a free choice of what make and model to change to, what urged you to change to an ES for a second time?

Mike

15 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Colin,

Ah okay, the MY2021 changes and the additional grade was actually announced and orderable back in Sept 2020 with vehicles arriving in November 2020.

No grades in the UK come with a spare wheel, or an option to have one.

In April the face lift model was annouced, which will be the MY2022 model:

Lexus Reveals Revised ES Saloon
19 April 2021

● World debut of revised Lexus ES saloon at the Shanghai Motor Show
● Focus on even quieter and more comfortable performance
● Driving feel enhanced with improvements to suspension and braking
● New design details, colours and trims
● Adoption of BladeScan Adaptive High-beam System and improvements and additions to Lexus Safety System+ functions
● Details of UK specifications and availability to be announced later in 2021

Lexus has today revealed its new ES executive saloon at the Shanghai Motor Show, ahead of its market launch later this year.

The ES is a model renowned for its quiet, smooth performance and high levels of cabin comfort and spaciousness. The upcoming changes focus on strengthening these qualities, refreshing the car’s styling, improving ride and responsiveness and introducing new, technology-led equipment features.

Although the ES has been part of the Lexus line-up since the brand was launched in 1989, it was first introduced to the UK and European markets in 2018. Powered by the fourth generation of Lexus’s self-charging hybrid electric system, it is an attractive competitor in the executive fleet market, not least for the high efficiency and refinement of its 2.5-litre powertrain.

Lexus Chief Engineer Tetsuya Aoki commented: “Our goal was to deepen the high quality of the ES and to add new value. In addition to improving quietness and ride comfort, we pursued linearity in the way the vehicle moves in response to steering wheel operation, faithful to the driver’s intentions. When it comes to styling, we refined and modernised the elegance that characterises the ES. When people ride in the new ES, I hope they will notice the achievements of the development team, who closely adhered to the idea of ‘Always On’ With the aim of making ever-better cars.”

Dynamic performance benefits from increased torsional rigidity in the rear trailing wishbone suspension, targeting more linear response to the driver’s inputs, for example in high-speed lane changes. Brake control and feedback have been enhanced with a reshaped pedal and measures to reduce vibration. The control parameters in the ES 300h’s electronic brake system have also been adjusted for better control.

In the ES F Sport model, a new actuator has been introduced in the Adaptive Variable Suspension, together with redesigned internals to expand the range of damping force, improving ride comfort, steering response and stability.

Styling details include an evolution of the spindle grille design, new-look headlights and new designs and finishes for the 17, 18 and 19-inch alloy wheels.
Having pioneered new technology features with Lexus’ first digital side view monitors, the ES is now set to adopt the BladeScan Adaptive High-beam System, giving more accurate lighting control and wider forward illumination from the LED headlights.

New sonic paint finishes, interior colours and walnut inlay options will be introduced and new upholstery shades and combinations will be available.
The new ES will also adopt the latest Lexus Safety System+ active safety and driver assistance improvements, including Emergency Steering Assist and better lane recognition performance. The Pre-Collision Safety system will additionally detect pedestrians during night-time driving and bicycle riders during daylight and will provide Intersection Turn Assist to help guard against collisions with oncoming traffic, or with pedestrians crossing the vehicle’s path when making a turn at a junction.

The new Lexus ES range will go on sale in the UK in late 2021. Details of specifications and prices will be announced nearer the time of introduction.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, Mike246 said:

It seems that the ES has not been a great seller in the UK and the dealers I have engaged with agree with this.

Around 1,000 a year which is better than the GS it effectively replaced. Probably what Lexus GB expected.

37 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Returning to the subject of a spare wheel, is there a 'well' in the boot floor that will take a full-size 18-inch spare wheel?

No, a 17" 4" width (which is half the 18" wheel 8" width) space saver is used in some countries (not UK) - I cannot see a full size wheel being able to fit, not if you want the existing boot floor.

Thanks Colin.

Hmm. I'm not over-happy about this. Do you think it worth buying a spare wheel & tyre (a few advertised on e-Bay) and storing it in the garage?

13 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Thanks Colin.

Hmm. I'm not over-happy about this. Do you think it worth buying a spare wheel & tyre (a few advertised on e-Bay) and storing it in the garage?

And don`t forget to buy; a jack, a wheelbrace, a torque wrench, a tyre pressure gauge etc.

Does your car have identified jacking points or will you have to buy a hydraulic jack ? And each time you have a puncture someone will need to go back to your garage to collect the spare wheel.

I wouldn`t bother, just look after and maintain your tyres on a regular basis and have effective Breakdown Cover.

• Like 1

No doubt, that's wise advice.

My cars have never been puncture-prone and I'm putting a problem where there isn't one. I'll discuss it with my shrink at this week's session.

• Haha 2

On 7/9/2021 at 6:51 PM, Mike246 said:

Steve,

Hi. There is something about your post that speaks volumes. My order for the ES is based on perception rather than experience and in the case of Lexus (or is it Lexi) I have never got it wrong. If I can assume you had a free choice of what make and model to change to, what urged you to change to an ES for a second time?

Mike

Mike, I changed for the second time as my plan was to buy the 69 plate once the lease was up. I had 1 x no fault claim resulting in a rear bumper respray by Lexus, and soon after the start of the March 2020 lockdown, I hadn’t driven mine for a month or so, went to go move the car and nudged a tree with the passenger door while reversing - simply wasn’t looking where I was going. This resulted in a fault claim - passenger door replaced and painted - £4.8k repair on a cat with less than 6k miles on the clock. The door replacement was a no Lexus repair, and although it was a good repair, there were bit about that repair that I just didn’t like, including the finish on the paint. When Lexus called offering a no cost upgrade, I had a small chip on the crease of the bonnet (which would have been £700 to respray by Lexus) so I changed based on the March 20 repair finish and a chip on the bonnet to pick up the same spec model, same colours with a couple of extra toys.

BA4A472B-3D45-4FAF-BF70-E2E4598B91AA.jpeg

Good for you! I assume that it a Mercury Grey F-Sport. I suspect you may also have the Takumi Pack

Same colour at the Premium Edition I have on order.

I wouldn’t worry about the spare wheel, I have had one puncture in 16 years.

I certainly wouldn’t even attempt to change a tyre on any roadside these days purely from a safety point of view, just get yourself safe, call the breakdown operator and wait.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, Mike246 said:

Good for you! I assume that it a Mercury Grey F-Sport. I suspect you may also have the Takumi Pack

Same colour at the Premium Edition I have on order.

Mines Graphite Black - looks a totally colour different in showroom conditions, and yes FSport trim with Takumi pack added

• 1 month later...

A belated welcome to this section of the forum.

I don't find the ES that rare here in NI, tbh; I do roughly 1000 miles a month and I'd typically see another one on average every day, I would say. My instinct is that is rather more often than you would see a GS (but admittedly that is not a totally fair comparison, given there is no IS now).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links