Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Britprius - John Bloor

Members of the LOC will be familiar with the many many really helpful posts (>2200) made by Britprius. He died suddenly and unexpectedly of a massive heart attack in March. His widow Carol has been unable to get into his computer email or LOC accounts and has asked me if I will let his many on-line friends in the LOC know.

He was a great inspiration to me from when I first bought my GS450h and joined the LOC. Having done very little vehicle maintenance for 20 years John encouraged me to have a go. I did. My car is serviced on the Britprius plan, has the Britprius tyres and reclaimed TPMS sensors, and soon will have a Britprius exhaust. If it had Britprius dampers I would be hundreds of £ richer. He was a mine of information and a huge contributor to this forum. His clear explanations of the hybrid drive system in particular answered many of the queries that are posted here. His skills covered not just the mechanical components but electronics and computing and even chemistry. I read his explanation of modern 12v batteries only yesterday. He was multi-talented. He shared his expertise freely on the forum and many of us have benefitted.

I was fortunate to meet John at his house in Wigmore in Herefordshire when we shared a cuppa and some tales. My favourite Britprius tale is about the notorious Gen 3 GS450h dampers. John's car was being MOTed and the tester said he could not pass the car because of "that funny thing on the dampers". The "funny things" were John's mod to stop the dampers leaking. The car passed.

We miss you John.

If members would like to reply this post telling how John helped them - new understanding, £s saved, etc. - I will gather the replies together at the end of August and send them to his widow.

• Like 6
  • Sad 14

I can't believe it! I never met Britprius but saw a lot of his advices/comments in here, poor family of his and our big loss!

RIP John!

• Like 4

Being a regular reader of the club's posts, I did notice that Britprius was very quiet for some time, very unlikely of him.

I have never met him but always admired and respected his knowledge on so many subjects.

I will always be grateful to him for learning through his so many posts.

My sincerest condolences to his family.

Chris.

• Like 5

Britprius was a great asset to this forum, that rare thing of someone with great knowledge and a willingness to share yet combined with an open mind to the possibilities of different ways of doing things. His posts carried weight. Sad to hear of his passing, and hope that the regard in which he was held brings some joy and pride to his family. 

• Like 4

RIP John.

You were an inspiration and a gentlemen.

Your posts were always worth reading.

Piers.

• Like 4

Very sad news to hear. You were the first person to reply on my first ever post on these forums, welcoming me to Lexus ownership. Although I never met you in person, you always seemed to treat all forums members well; whether they be established old hands, or relatively new like myself. RIP John.

• Like 3

Thank you John for relaying that extremely sad news. An inspiration he was and second to none on this Forum for his wide ranging,  enthusiastic, sympathetic and professional contributions to all L.O.C. Members.

• Like 4

So sad to hear of John’s passing and please pass on my deepest condolences to his family.

Usernames tend to be remembered more than personal names but behind every username is a real person,  I joined this forum many years ago and at the time knew very little about anything Lexus. It was people like John who was always there providing help and advice even to some of my own stupid questions which must have either raised a chuckle or a sigh of despair but always received a polite and informative response.

John you are already sadly missed but will continue to be remembered.

• Like 4

Blimey that is very sad news to learn of the sudden passing away of a truly knowledgeable helpful guy. Read a fair number of his posts when I had my RX. Rest in peace John and heartfelt condolences to his family. 

• Like 3

Very sad news indeed. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but like most of us, I've been very grateful for his help in the past and his knowledge was amazing. He will be sadly missed by all of us.

R.I.P. Britprius, may your God go with you.

• Like 2

Damn, this is sad news indeed 😢

I had a conversation with John a while back and it involved how he can best help members on here (with the infamous shock absorber problem), which just goes to show what kind of man he was.

Likewise, as others have said, I was very impressed by the depth of his knowledge on many subjects and would always pay attention to his replies for help in the hopes of learning something new.

Despite being on a lot of forums over the years, I think this is the first time I have been genuinely saddened to hear of a members' passing.

My condolences to his family. 

• Like 5

I've always believed that very few people have true friends, and those that have two or three are rare and gifted.

It is clear that through his generosity of wisdom and spirit, John had many friends - a rarer gift indeed

• Like 3

RIP John with condolences to the family. I haven't been here long on the LOC but read the useful contributions John made and will be a great loss to the LOC.

• Like 2