Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash cameras

4 hours ago, Richard1200 said:

Anybody have any comments on the Nextbase system that Lexus dealers are promoting

They're good but extremely expensive.

A good system off amazon shouldn't cost more than £140. Viofo for one

4 hours ago, Richard1200 said:

Anybody have any comments on the Nextbase system that Lexus dealers are promoting

Very overpriced, as are their fitting charges.

A single front-facing camera is a very easy DIY job taking no more than half an hour, if that. If you don't want to DIY then any auto electrician will fit it for between about £30-£50.

Viofo or Aukey cameras are very good, reasonably priced and work well, as well as being very small and discreet.

I have had BLACKVUE for many years and swopped them between several of my Lexus cars but I managed to get a new front and rear Nextbase pair in the deal this week with my new new Takumi.

I've been using a unbranded one for about 5 years now across 3 cars all good, I think Techmoan on YT reviewed it back when he was just a small channel but I can't remember the what it was called it's meant to be hidden by looking similar to the wing mirror part.

I was in a recent incident & it provided good footage for all involved, H264 is the recoding codec.

I used to power it from the cig lighter socket but its awkward on the GS4 so this time I went with a OBD2 port lead & the radio still works ok no interference.

2021-06-25 18.31.36.jpg

I have the Front facing only Nextbase cam, installed by Lexus. Neatly integrated and works very well with excellent quality recordings. However, this is my first dashcam, so cannot compare.

Re nextbase being expensive. Possibly if you buy new and the top of the range one. I got a refurbished one c/o eBay and from Nextbase eBay shop. No it's not top of the range nor is it the base model. With it came the rear facing camera which slots into the front facing camera via a socket on its side. The quality of the rear camera considering its by the rear view mirror is nothing short of excellent. Oh the price for both cameras? £99.00. 🍻

Easy to fit yourself with the genuine nextbase hardwire kit. Mist difficult part is finding which fuse to piggyback from.

Yeah course there are those none branded cheaper dash cameras and some rate them highly. Its personal choice.

So my answer Richard is go for it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Re nextbase being expensive. Possibly if you buy new and the top of the range one. I got a refurbished one c/o ebay and from Nextbase ebay shop. No it's not top of the range nor is it the base model. With it came the rear facing camera which slots into the front facing camera via a socket on its side. The quality of the rear camera considering its by the rear view mirror is nothing short of excellent. Oh the price for both cameras? £99.00. 🍻

Easy to fit yourself with the genuine nextbase hardwire kit. Mist difficult part is finding which fuse to piggyback from.

Yeah course there are those none branded cheaper dash cameras and some rate them highly. Its personal choice.

So my answer Richard is go for it.

They are expensive if you get them from Lexus and installed likewise, but as you say often there are offers, I got ours as it was going to be replaced by a newer model, ours is now 5 years old and still works fine and produces crisp sharp HD images and does all the stuff the newer model does, but at about half the cost.

One thing though, the Nextbase software is really very good with mapping and tracking data, a lot of cheaper alternatives don’t give you that.

• Like 1

Just one point I’d like to make about dashcams, as no-one else has.

In regular use you should reformat the SD Card every two to three weeks.  This is to ensure that any Protected Files don’t build up and reduce the capacity of the Card.

It also serves to remove any files that have been corrupted by copying errors as a result of being constantly rewritten.

Before reformatting, any files that you want to save should be copied to another device.

• Thanks 1

I've got a Lexus fitted Nextbase in my IS and I have to say it's a pain in the Aristotle whenever I want to get anything off it. Getting it to talk to my Samsung S20 is always hit and miss. Trying to see whether the blue wifi light is flashing in anything other but total darkness is almost impossible. I find it easier to take the camera indoors and connect it directly to my PC. The quality is top notch though.

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I've got a Lexus fitted Nextbase in my IS and I have to say it's a pain in the Aristotle whenever I want to get anything off it. Getting it to talk to my Samsung S20 is always hit and miss. Trying to see whether the blue wifi light is flashing in anything other but total darkness is almost impossible. I find it easier to take the camera indoors and connect it directly to my PC. The quality is top notch though.

I never bother with the “in car” transfer routine, it takes far too long regardless (although when I have tried it it has worked fine on the iPad), but I always just take the card out and transfer the lot if I need to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I,ve never heard of anything positive about Nextbase so thats one i,m going to avoid.

I,ve been watching and reading reviews about the Vantrue T3 dashcam and i,m very impressed about it.The mounting,fitting and easy wiring is spot on and yet to see any complaints about them.Video quality is excellent day and night.Also much cheaper to buy.

5 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

I,ve never heard of anything positive about Nextbase so thats one i,m going to avoid.

I,ve been watching and reading reviews about the Vantrue T3 dashcam and i,m very impressed about it.The mounting,fitting and easy wiring is spot on and yet to see any complaints about them.Video quality is excellent day and night.Also much cheaper to buy.

Can’t complain about my Nextbase camera the quality of the picture is really good but each to there own preference. 

3 minutes ago, joelfigueira said:

Can’t complain about my Nextbase camera the quality of the picture is really good but each to there own preference. 

I was going to get the Lexus dealer to fit one in mine at it,s service last year but to be honest they,re overpriced from them and have heard they don,t communicate very well with the there App.

2 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

I was going to get the Lexus dealer to fit one in mine at it,s service last year but to be honest they,re overpriced from them and have heard they don,t communicate very well with the there App.

When I got mine in June they had it priced at £250 and that was all including fitting which I have to say is really good as you do see some cars with wires all over and the place, plus I would not trust Halfords

Connecting to the app with my Iphone is fine however the app itself could be so much better. 

• Like 1