Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi guys

There's a nice lpg converted ls430 for sale on ebay, thing is, it's a cat c, seller hasn't mentioned it, he knows it's a cat c as the previous owner said so in his ad, but this new seller is trying to make out he didn't know, but besides that, it does look nice, nice colour too, he's removed the ad because i told him it's a cat c, he did the same when he advertised it on Facebook marketplace 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402983957797

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Where do you find out whether it's Cat-C? I looked on the MOT Checker and it's not there.
Since 2018 they are Cat-S (was Cat-C) and Cat-N (was Cat-D).
S =  Structural damage write-off. Requires re-registration.
N = Non-structural damage write-off.

I am surprised that Cat-S is not marked on the V5.
What is the point of the V5 if it doesn't contain important information like this.
You could find that your insurance is invalid if you didn't know your car was a Cat-S.
Dodgy car sellers really are scumbags.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigBoomer said:

Where do you find out whether it's Cat-C? I looked on the MOT Checker and it's not there.
Since 2018 they are Cat-S (was Cat-C) and Cat-N (was Cat-D).
S =  Structural damage write-off. Requires re-registration.
N = Non-structural damage write-off.

I am surprised that Cat-S is not marked on the V5.
What is the point of the V5 if it doesn't contain important information like this.
You could find that your insurance is invalid if you didn't know your car was a Cat-S.
Dodgy car sellers really are scumbags.

You can do a hpi check or go onto Autotrader, go to sell my vehicle, put in the reg and mileage etc, and it will tell you if its a cat c or n etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Nice one, thanks Messi. I've done HPI checks before, but I didn't fancy paying just to check if a car has been written off.
That one shows as Cat-N (was Cat-D) which is non-structural though.

What should happen is that when a car is written off, the insurance company should require you to give them the V5.
If you decide to buy-back then you get a new V5 with it's Cat-N or Cat-S clearly marked.
Far too many dodgy car dealers out there who take advantage of the current system.

CatN.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Strange how its got pre facelift wheels as they'll be 17" instead of 18".

Inspector Clauseau rides again !!🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Nice one, thanks Messi. I've done HPI checks before, but I didn't fancy paying just to check if a car has been written off.
That one shows as Cat-N (was Cat-D) which is non-structural though.

What should happen is that when a car is written off, the insurance company should require you to give them the V5.
If you decide to buy-back then you get a new V5 with it's Cat-N or Cat-S clearly marked.
Far too many dodgy car dealers out there who take advantage of the current system.

CatN.jpg

"If you decide to buy-back then you get a new V5 with it's Cat-N or Cat-S clearly marked."

I have had one accident last month where they paid me out £2k+ and another one about 16 months ago again paid me out £2+ but on neither occasion have they asked me for the V5 to go back to them. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

where they paid me out £2k+ and another one about 16 months ago again paid me out £2+

come on Mike, it must surely be champagne time for all us LOC buddies  .............  did you get your latest replacement door ok ?

Hope the cataracts solution helps you see your cheque book ok :wink3: ........  seriously, best wishes with all that health issues stuff whatever :thumbsup:

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, BigBoomer said:

Nice one, thanks Messi. I've done HPI checks before, but I didn't fancy paying just to check if a car has been written off.
That one shows as Cat-N (was Cat-D) which is non-structural though.

What should happen is that when a car is written off, the insurance company should require you to give them the V5.
If you decide to buy-back then you get a new V5 with it's Cat-N or Cat-S clearly marked.
Far too many dodgy car dealers out there who take advantage of the current system.

CatN.jpg

Been looking up since last week and I got a spare of deluxe checks here from my bulk purchase from rapidcarcheck.co.uk - if you want I can give it to you?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tylermoore said:

Been looking up since last week and I got a spare of deluxe checks here from my bulk purchase from rapidcarcheck.co.uk - if you want I can give it to you?

 

Thanks for the offer Tyler, but I only wanted to check that cars Cat so can do that for free via AutoTrader as Qamar explained. I have upset a friend with it though as he checked his car and it's also Cat-N. He didn't know and bought from a dealer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

seems the answer is to simply ask outright if it's had repaired damage and / or Cat recorded damage / write-off AND get the answer or email in writing IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES before buying any car from anyone ...........  or dealer ........  even a Main Dealer it seems

" Buyer Beware "  has never been more pertinent eh !

Malc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

An interesting and informative article linked below, in the comments section I do feel somewhat sorry for “Jon” and his BMW.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/does-seller-declare-damage/

A very useful summary Steve.

I would have liked the author to have responded in each case.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys

It's back up again on ebay, and he still hasn't mentioned its a cat c, and it's not like he doesn't know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

then he MUST receive much NEGATIVE feedback, quite legitimately I should have thought

Malc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership