Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, i've recently bought a 92,000 mile IS 250 SE-L , 56 plate, with great service history. Just wondered if anyone had encountered this? Driving in a straight line ,say on a motorway and the car slighty steers to one side so you adjust the steering wheel to bring it back onto a straight line only to find you have to adjust it again as it goes slightly the other way.

There's no play in the steering. The steering wheel itself is true, the suspension is fine, it's had a four wheel alignment check and that was ok. Tyres are brand new Avon ZV7 225/45/R17 on the front and Avon ZV7 245/45/R17 on the rear.

I'm at a loss why it does this. It's not relaxing driving on motorways and straight roads as i'm constantly having to micro-adjust.

Hi Lee and welcome to the LOC.

Have you checked the brakes? Lexus cars are notorious for “ sticking or seized” brake callipers as the slide pins rarely get removed and greased ( not even a dealer service item).

First check is to carefully feel if one side wheel is getting hotter than the other after a drive both front and rears.

Hi Lee and welcome to Lexus ownership and the best Lexus forum there is. Since you've had a 4 wheel alignment and your tyres are new the only things to consider are that 1 the camber of the roads will always make the car steer left. Another thing to consider is are the brakes binding in any way? Our cars suffer from sticking rear brakes. Lexus do Not service the brakes on any service. The rear brake caliper slide pins seize through lack of grease maintenance. Check all brake caliper slide pins for rust, dust, any damage what so ever. Look on the forum where there's a lot on this brake subject. 

Otherwise don't worry about having to micro adjust your steering. Your is250 is probably the best car you've had and runs perfectly true that it's because of this you've not noticed it on any other car you've had.

I wanna incline towards the brakes. Does the car pull to a side under heavy braking? I've been driving the car for too long to notice anything like that enough to bother me. Although I can't let go of the steering wheel and go perfectly straight either, but when i notice it I generally just blame it on lorry rails (imprints) in the tarmac so the surface is never perfectly flat. Driving the IS250 compared to a GT86 the steering is VERY light in comparison, so I just blame it on that mainly. Sorry for not being much help.