Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In HJ today; What do we think of this answer?

18 minutes ago, peniole said:

Actually the civic generation (9th) he's suggesting has a hip point on par with most crossovers as the fuel tank is under the driver seat. You will be eye level with the Mazda CX-3, Lexus UX, Kia Niro to name a few. Most saloon hip points are in the 50's cm above the ground. Cross overs in the 60's (where surprisingly the civic is), full size SUVs in the 70's and the massive ones just about crack 80cm. Of course I'm not putting vans or full size pickups in the mix, those can get up as high as 120cm off the ground (that's a commanding view, SUVs not so much). So he may not be as dumb as you think.

You can check the numbers at www.ridc.org.uk (they do advanced car measurements for people with disabilities, including a database of hip point measurements).

Before you ding me for saying that SUVs don't have a commanding view, I owned and drove this for several years so SUVs no longer float my boat on commanding views.

29092015454.jpg

Hip point?

This is measured from the ground to where exactly? The middle of the hip of the person? I would have thought a measurement to the seat was more accurate, as people are different sizes?

Possibly I am missing something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Aren't we all?

I prefer to sit as high/low as the CT has me sitting. Have been lying (sitting) in cars much lower and also driving trucks.

One thing I have problems understanding is that some cars have lights placed so high that they are blinding oncoming traffic when it supposedly is the road the driver should be seeing while driving, so that some trucks have light on the roof is absolutely stupid, and that some SUV's and other cars having light placed high are lighting up where there is no need to in order to drive the cars is only good for annoying oncoming in different types of cars.

3 hours ago, peniole said:

Before you ding me for saying that SUVs don't have a commanding view, I owned and drove this for several years so SUVs no longer float my boat on commanding views.

^^ Do you really need to see what you are about to drive over?! That’s one big truck…😆

I have had a disability from birth affecting my legs, mainly hips and ankles (weirdly knees unaffected) so the various measures are actually very important and interesting for me. There are indeed some saloons that are fine for me once I’m in the car, but often the challenge is getting in and out! 

My consultants have, over many years, recommended different cars to try. As I’ve got older SUVs have become the default choice, but different manufacturers offer some interesting options. Volvo and Mercedes are generally good for me - the critical thing on a personal level is the relationship, distance and angle between steering wheel, pedals and seat (after adjustments). As such the Lexus NX is pretty much perfect, but the RX less so as the angles aren’t right and there isn’t enough adjustment to make it really comfortable. The UX has a different issue in that the seat base is slightly too short. However, both the GS and the IS are almost as perfect as the NX, with the exception that getting in and out is trickier due to the lower stance. My Honda Accord was also ideal once I was in situ, albeit I was younger then…

BMWs are universally hopeless for me, as are most things from the VAG stable. They mostly have the height I need, but the steering wheel/pedal relationships don’t work, which must be a design thing given Mercedes are almost universally perfect for me. Renault are also good, but Peugeot not. Go figure!

I accept my disability makes my situation (almost) unique, but having bought cars for many years it is quite interesting to see the differences. Trust me, it isn’t something you want to get wrong!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Do you really need to see what you are about to drive over?! That’s one big truck…😆

I have had a disability from birth affecting my legs, mainly hips and ankles (weirdly knees unaffected) so the various measures are actually very important and interesting for me. There are indeed some saloons that are fine for me once I’m in the car, but often the challenge is getting in and out! 

My consultants have, over many years, recommended different cars to try. As I’ve got older SUVs have become the default choice, but different manufacturers offer some interesting options. Volvo and Mercedes are generally good for me - the critical thing on a personal level is the relationship, distance and angle between steering wheel, pedals and seat (after adjustments). As such the Lexus NX is pretty much perfect, but the RX less so as the angles aren’t right and there isn’t enough adjustment to make it really comfortable. The UX has a different issue in that the seat base is slightly too short. However, both the GS and the IS are almost as perfect as the NX, with the exception that getting in and out is trickier due to the lower stance. My Honda Accord was also ideal once I was in situ, albeit I was younger then…

BMWs are universally hopeless for me, as are most things from the VAG stable. They mostly have the height I need, but the steering wheel/pedal relationships don’t work, which must be a design thing given Mercedes are almost universally perfect for me. Renault are also good, but Peugeot not. Go figure!

I accept my disability makes my situation (almost) unique, but having bought cars for many years it is quite interesting to see the differences. Trust me, it isn’t something you want to get wrong!

Many years ago I bought a Skoda Felicia for my daughter. I could not believe how uncomfortable the seats were. There was no adjustment that worked and after 20 miles my back ached like hell. My daughter has a bad back and she loved her Beetle's firm seats - she likes the Lexus as well thank goodness!

Unless you have driven a car for an extended period it is difficult to judge on a short test drive. Again a few years ago I drove an Audi 80 - it had off-set pedals - it was like steering from the right but operating the pedals from the left! So I have sympathy for your choice in cars Ed. If you get in, adjust the seat and it still does not feel right, then it is probably NOT the car for you.

8 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Hip point?

This is measured from the ground to where exactly? The middle of the hip of the person? I would have thought a measurement to the seat was more accurate, as people are different sizes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-point

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a33926390/four-years-testing-seat-height/

h points

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Hauled equipment, materials and people in it for a house build. The limestone piled in front of the truck was for the facade. Very much enjoyed the high perch, sitting on what can only be described as a couch.

RIDC have great technical specs and measurements, pretty decent database if you want to compare other cars to ones you know you're already comfortable in.

21 hours ago, peniole said:

Actually the civic generation (9th) he's suggesting has a hip point on par with most crossovers as the fuel tank is under the driver seat. You will be eye level with the Mazda CX-3, Lexus UX, Kia Niro to name a few. Most saloon hip points are in the 50's cm above the ground. Cross overs in the 60's (where surprisingly the civic is), full size SUVs in the 70's and the massive ones just about crack 80cm. Of course I'm not putting vans or full size pickups in the mix, those can get up as high as 120cm off the ground (that's a commanding view, SUVs not so much). So he may not be as dumb as you think.

You can check the numbers at www.ridc.org.uk (they do advanced car measurements for people with disabilities, including a database of hip point measurements).

This is the answer that Honest John should reply with. Great!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:35 AM, royoftherovers said:

Morning Brent.

The reason I posted was that I thought the answer provided was complete rubbish given by a Journalist lacking knowledge and living off the back of a motoring journalist (HJ-PETER LORIMER) who in my opinion was second only to LJK Setright. You Bernard and Vlad are all spot on.

Yes, the Original website was taken over by  Heycar who staffed it with less than competent motoring journalists who proceeded to undo all of the fine work performed by HJ.

I have  been scouring the Telegraph for the last 2 weeks looking for HJ`s column and have come to the conclusion that he has moved on to where I am yet to find out. I do know that he recently considered going on tour and inviting audiences to throw questions at him !

Let`s all watch this space !

Morning John ive looked and cant find any evidence any where of HJ. I imagine you know that there is a twitter account for Honest John but alas i think it,s run by heycar who bought all the rights to Honest john you can find it on twitter at @_HonestJohn 

6 hours ago, ALAW said:

Morning John ive looked and cant find any evidence any where of HJ. I imagine you know that there is a twitter account for Honest John but alas i think it,s run by heycar who bought all the rights to Honest john you can find it on twitter at @_HonestJohn 

Hi Brent, yes I knew about Heycar.

I think HJ has either retired or he is living under a Restraint of Trade emanating from Heycar`s takeover.

He will resurface somewhere as his knowledge and wisdom cannot be corked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PCM said:

I skim the 'HJ' answers now.

Seem to mostly be recommendations for Amazon items and Kwik-Fit.

A wise move Piers. The content and knowledge within the current website is an extremely poor substitute for what was once available.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mikey2001 said:

Honest John's Twitter profile (https://twitter.com/hjhimself) mentions another website, but it doesn't seem to be active at the moment:

http://www.honestcaranswers.co.uk/

Hi Mike Yes i looked at this and also tried the website and it was not there. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links