Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remember Fargo's Washaway Paint?

Remember Pauls video of his paint coming off his front bumper when he was cleaning it? Well just washed mine with Meguiars Gold Shampoo and started hosing it down when i noticed what i thought was a stonechip, got the hose on it and to my amazement the paint just came off. Then i touched it with my finger and it just smudged!

My IS ran out of warranty on 23rd Jan 2004 so do you think I'm gonna have to fork out myself?

I got the car in Jan 2003 and have since done 13k miles. Thought I'd nip down to Lexus tomorrow and if necessary call Lexus GB cos I'm not a happy bunny!

Anyone else had same prob out of warranty?

post-50-1080492019.jpg

i wouldnt have thought so, well i've been using it for the best part of a year without any probs. have had a good look round the car to see if there are any other areas and there is a small patch on the o/s front wing as well. my car's melting!

my car's melting!

Can't be due to the hot weather :whistling: , you best get your car to the dealer before there no paint left.

It appears that the paint Lexus are using is getting thinnner and thinner :huh: Not a good sign

It may be the heat from the engine that has weakened the paint, not any at the boot or on the doors then??

i have the same problem, round the mesh things (sry dont know what its called) on the front bumper. it is possible to remove paint with your fingers. paint problems is a pretty big problems on all jap cars ? ihave got that impression anyway

well i've been to lexus bolton this morning who said if their paint engineer agreed it was soft paint it would be sorted out with minimum hassle. so off i went to the rrg bodyshop where a paint techie came out and had a look, examined it closely then rubbed his finger on it and said blimey that is bad! he continued rubbing his finger on it which looked like it was making it worse to me but then it started to clear up - it was a rather sticky, greasy substance on the bonnet, not dodgy paint!

how embarrasing, i felt like a right ******. but had a good laugh with the guy who said that the small grey speckles on the o/s wing were a contaminant, probably bird poop that had been left for a while. i hadn't cleaned my car for about 6 weeks until yesterday, disgraceful i know and now i've got a little blemish to show for my lack of dedication.

so all in all im very relieved but still alarmed to see that others are having this soft paint problem.

My paint was flaking off my 51 Reg IS200 Sport. It was on the Styling kit front spoiler ...the TTE kit... eventually after 3 months of backorder, Lexus Stockport replaced it under warranty..although still waiting for a new Lexus "L" for the grill !!

Never had any other cars that have had reports of flaking paint like the problems seen here. There must be some issue with painting on the plastic bumpers, as the main body work seems excellent.

Just a thought!!

Regards

Paul

Had a w Reg 323 CI back when they were new.

same paint problem. they said it was unique to their black paint. I had to fight tooth and nail to get it sorted though. they kept faffing around. annoyingly...

:blink: