Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic converters - and the NX

HI all,

Through various observations on this forum and the internet, it is agreed that the NX is not typically targeted for its catalytic converters, where the Gen 3 and below RX are. Is there a reason for this? 

In my local area, within the last month, four cars and one van have had their catalytic converters taken. Is the NX hidden/ harder to get? Is there something that's stopping them getting at it? 

From what I understand, the newer catalytic converters have less of the precious metals than the older versions, and thus are not as prized.

The catalytic converters thefts are generally targeted at the hybrids since the converter will not be as well used as a non hybrid car for emissions, and thus have a cleaner supply of the precious metals.

2012 and earlier Toyota models are using an older generation hybrid system and catalytic converter design. Note that the Corolla up to 2018 was still using the same hybrid Prius design from 2012 and earlier. Same for the older generation RX and the CT

The NX (from 2015/2016) is based off the 2014 RAV4 and uses a different design.

4 minutes ago, subria88 said:

2012 and earlier Toyota models are using an older generation hybrid system and catalytic converter design. Note that the Corolla up to 2018 was still using the same hybrid Prius design from 2012 and earlier. Same for the older generation RX and the CT

The NX (from 2015/2016) is based off the 2014 RAV4 and uses a different design.

What’s different about it? Is it harder to get at? Is the cat less visible? 

Newer technology catalytic converters have considerably less precious metals and are less valuable to thieves, so it's much less worthwhile for them to go compared to the older ones.

While design plays some part, it's what is actually in the catalytic converter that is important as well.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:06 PM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

What’s different about it? Is it harder to get at? Is the cat less visible? 

Yes, it's (they are) much less accessible on the NX. There are various discussions on here about it, including with diagrams that indicate the positions, that I posted. Search the forum for catalytic and you'll find them.