Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recommendations for Hb4 9006 led bulbs for fogs.

48 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Given that you can only legally use fog lights when visibility is 100 metres or less I've not switched mine on for 15+ years so I don't really care what colour light that produce, and my GS didn't have them anyway 😉 

Is that law in the UK?

Never heard of that.

13 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Is that law in the UK?

Yes

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

• Like 1

I thought most of the rules were the same in Europe, but it cannot be as so many drives around with for light here as the day light and if it was not allowed it would be reasonable to believe that they would be fined and sooner or later only few would do it.

The logic in forbidding the front fog light is not easy to understand as it cannot blind oncoming traffic but then again the people making the laws probably does not need to be possessing sense of logic.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:47 PM, OldTrout said:

John,

Thank you. Interesting use of the word laser. My understanding is that the laser light stimulates fluorescence in a crystal which is the light that comes out. They call this "pure white LASER" even though it is not.  "Turbo" could perhaps be added to imply even more output but that would not be true.

Under LED fog lamps I found "Atom-E is available in 6500K white and 3000K yellow LEDS. The wavelength of the 3000K LED is very close to that of halogen light, which is of strong penetration and conducive to safe driving in foggy days." The italics are mine.

What does "3000m throwing range" mean? It is possible to bounce laser light off the moon but not much comes back. Does that mean those lasers have a throwing range of 800,000m?

Which is not to say that their 3000k fog light are not very good. I just object to pseudo science in advertising.

John

The company may be a fraud as when asking for price for the laser type I was informed that it was too expensive and they have discontinued it sending me a mail with a new type LED that would emit light all around as the halogen and Xenon gas lamps do but price is something they so far have not informed me about.

billede.thumb.png.c6a7f9fab78a5654d7f754500fa74ffc.png     www.ledoauto.com

Maybe somebody else will have more luck asking as the lights they have are innovative and new, but if they only exist on drawing boards and paper they are not worth much.

I dislike the colour temperature on halogen light and find the white on LED much better as closer to daylight compared to candlelight halogen and if adjusted correct the light will not blind oncoming traffic.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, OldTrout said:

Col,

I don't know what bulbs might be available but do take Herbie's comments into account.

Light is scattered according to the fourth power of is wavelength. Roughly, blue light is scattered 16x more than red light. Light from your lamps which is scattered does not penetrate up the road. Worse lots of it comes back at you. That is the reason fog lamps are orange - much less scattering. The colour temperature should be low. A bulb with a colour temperature of 10k would make a very ineffective fog lamp. One with 3k would be very much better.

John

10K was used by Audi when Xenon gas lamps were the new thing and they are very blue and uncomfortable looking when one of these old Audi cars come towards us, Must have been legal though as they were factory. 3K is somewhere between amber and yellow and were standard in French cars long ago. 5.5K is close to daylight and 6K is what most new LED lights are sold as. I see no reason why daylight colour temperature should not be good.

Perhaps I might ditch the idea of putting LED bulbs in the fog housing, too many variables and there is the legalities to content with. 

So.... 

Has anyone fitted the fog LED replacement drls that you can get from China? Might be a better compromise. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2021 at 11:50 PM, Shelside said:

Perhaps I might ditch the idea of putting led bulbs in the fog housing, too many variables and there is the legalities to content with. 

So.... 

Has anyone fitted the fog led replacement drls that you can get from China? Might be a better compromise. 

Bump. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:47 PM, ColinBarber said:

Given that you can only legally use fog lights when visibility is 100 metres or less I've not switched mine on for 15+ years so I don't really care what colour light that produce, and my GS didn't have them anyway 😉 

Agreed - I think the last time I used front or rear fog lights is 20+ years ago.  People today seem to put the rears on as soon as it rains which is actually the worst thing you can do as it can prevent people from actually seeing your brake lights!  And then they leave them on after the rain clears, clearly not noticing the huge orange warning on the dashboard indicating they are on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neo_gsf said:

Agreed - I think the last time I used front or rear fog lights is 20+ years ago.  People today seem to put the rears on as soon as it rains which is actually the worst thing you can do as it can prevent people from actually seeing your brake lights!  And then they leave them on after the rain clears, clearly not noticing the huge orange warning on the dashboard indicating they are on.

Such people Phil, in my book are Thoughtless, Stupid, Idiotic, Senseless and clearly Driving without due care and attention.

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Such people Phil, in my book are Thoughtless, Stupid, Idiotic, Senseless and clearly Driving without due care and attention.

I entirely agree, but unfortunately, they are a common occurrence.  I've noticed that the first thing some people do once they get in their car is to put their front fogs on because it makes them "look cool".  I know it is deliberate as most modern cars will automatically switch them off when you turn the car or lights off.

4 minutes ago, Neo_gsf said:

I entirely agree, but unfortunately, they are a common occurrence.  I've noticed that the first thing some people do once they get in their car is to put their front fogs on because it makes them "look cool".  I know it is deliberate as most modern cars will automatically switch them off when you turn the car or lights off.

Makes one wonder how people pass their driving tests?

The Highway Code gives explicit instruction on when you shouldn't use fog lights, in Rule 236: "You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

On 7/21/2021 at 11:50 PM, Shelside said:

Has anyone fitted the fog led replacement drls that you can get from China? Might be a better compromise. 

No, but I did fit switchback LEDs that serve a dual purpose of turn indicator and DRLs:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neo_gsf said:

Aye - using fog lights as 'running lights' amongst the trendy and uninformed is yet another example of the regressive standards in driving and social behaviour.   One has only to consider the appalling levels of fly-tipping, social misbehaviour, and drug abuse to realise that society (in general) has little regard for itself or for others.

If this appears as a mild rant from an ageing driver - - it is, of course.

Fortunately the illegal use of fog lights is (in overall terms) but a minor irritation (though can be dangerous - I accept) - and I am inevitably guilty of letting such drivers in front/ of/behind me that I disapprove of their habit!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links