Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Planning to buy GS300 2005 model with 95K mileage. Anything to look out for?

Hello everyone, 

Planning to buy my firat car and came across Lexus GS300 and was gobsmacked with its beauty, style,power  and comfort. 

I have read its a thirsty car but wont be doing much of driving so thats not a problem.

My options are both 2005 variants

1) GS 300 95K mil 

2) GS 300 180K mil 

The price difference is almost £1K in between them and I am inclined to buy the 1st option with less miles  "obviously " but I am tempted t0 choose the GS300 with £1K off.

Any advice what I should check for in both. 

Hi Clifford and welcome to the forum. I am surprised that there is only £1k difference between the 2 cars. Personally I would go for the one with the lower mileage. At 180k miles there is a major service (at least on the hybrid models) I think so the cheapest option should have just been serviced. 

• Like 2

The GS300 from that period can have problems with carbon buildup on the valves so I'd go for the lower mileage and treat it to an "Italian tune up" I had a 2005 GS and really should have kept it, a lovely car.  They can suffer with dashboard rattles and creaks but it's all treatable fairly easily.  

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone.

Just seen the car with 180K miles done, and even if offered for £500 will not buy it. Car had rusts all around and paint was peeling off the bonnet as well.

Compared to which the 1st option was well looked after and for £2800 seems like a good deal. May negotiate on price. What do you guus reckon?

I did read about the carbon built up in engine and I believe if looked after well may reduce further problems.

1 hour ago, Moon said:

Many thanks everyone.

Just seen the car with 180K miles done, and even if offered for £500 will not buy it. Car had rusts all around and paint was peeling off the bonnet as well.

Compared to which the 1st option was well looked after and for £2800 seems like a good deal. May negotiate on price. What do you guus reckon?

I did read about the carbon built up in engine and I believe if looked after well may reduce further problems.

From what I understand, the carbon build up is less likely if the car is driven "enthusiastically" from time to time!  I didn't have an issue with mine so I wouldn't be too concerned. Rust on the bonnet front lip is also fairly common. It's still a very nice V6 engine, we drove ours to Vienna and it was brilliant, and on the long run easily returned high thirties MPG.  The engine "ticking" at idle is just the direct fuel injection but can be mistaken for valve clearances.  Still a great looking car today in my opinion. If it drives well and has a decent history why not!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links