Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing number plate holder and moving the location

joelfigueira

Hi all,

Has anyone removed the number plate holder from the front number plate and moved the number plate location? just looking at how the US have there cars with the full grill on show and i think it does look nice and gives it a clean look.

Thinking about getting a smaller front plate and moving it to the left side of the bumper but it may cover one of the parking sensors or just running a smaller plate on the front. 

regards

Joel 

i'm sure registration plates are of a set size

so the numbers & letters of the correct size & font

can be spaced correctly if not they could be illegal

for road use and be classed as show plates.

check what the legal requirements are before you move

and change the size of the plate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 200h said:

i'm sure registration plates are of a set size

so the numbers & letters of the correct size & font

can be spaced correctly if not they could be illegal

for road use and be classed as show plates.

check what the legal requirements are before you move

and change the size of the plate

I see many cars with smaller licence plates on the front of the car. If legal I have no idea. Years ago when driving in Italy most cars had mini plates on front and "normal" sized on the rear end of the car.

Many years ago, maybe 1984 (remember George Orwell).

in the Uk if the spacing is incorrect or font isnt of the correct type

then you can be pulled over and told to replace them

i think this is due to the ANPR system not being able to read the plate

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, joelfigueira said:

Hi all,

Has anyone removed the number plate holder from the front number plate and moved the number plate location? just looking at how the US have there cars with the full grill on show and i think it does look nice and gives it a clean look.

Thinking about getting a smaller front plate and moving it to the left side of the bumper but it may cover one of the parking sensors or just running a smaller plate on the front. 

regards

Joel 

I,m so with you on this one.The front number plate and its mounting is an ugly set up for UK and Europe also.That full size spindle grille should be on full display.Sadly i don,t think there is a way around it here other than just removing the surround and have the number plate only mounted?

This is something i,ve been thinking about but mine is a pre facelift but i just want to be different.I shall be upgrading to the facelift bumper soon anyway.

I think making the plate smaller for the front will get you into trouble as said it doesn,t conform with ANPR.

26 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

I,m so with you on this one.The front number plate and its mounting is an ugly set up for UK and Europe also.That full size spindle grille should be on full display.Sadly i don,t think there is a way around it here other than just removing the surround and have the number plate only mounted?

This is something i,ve been thinking about but mine is a pre facelift but i just want to be different.I shall be upgrading to the facelift bumper soon anyway.

I think making the plate smaller for the front will get you into trouble as said it doesn,t conform with ANPR.

I took of the surround and it leaves two screw holes and even though you can’t really see them it doesn’t look great. 

I see a fair few cars with a smaller plates like Audi etc to show the grill more.

in the US they use the toe hook part to move the plate over but they have smaller plates. 

• Like 1

I did this on the Westfield, smaller than allowed at (406mm x 89mm) against (520mm x 111mm) but I take the risk as I think they are proportional to the size of the car. They are also spring loaded in case of contact with speed bumps. (From Plates for Cars Dublin.)

Or take the risk that all Lambo and Ferrari drivers do around here and fit them in the passenger footwell with velcro *. (Just fell off officer.)

* at your risk!

image.thumb.png.b097121217217f28fcaa0af48c3e3302.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1