Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

V Power vs Tesco Momentum 99

TKhan430

Hi Paul. Millers is about £13.50. Dependant on if you use a single shot (bottle has single and double doses) you'll get about 20 full tank fill ups before you need another bottle.

Oh to be able and be in the position to buy petrol by the tanker load. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 5:48 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Paul. Millers is about £13.50. Dependant on if you use a single shot (bottle has single and double doses) you'll get about 20 full tank fill ups before you need another bottle.

Oh to be able and be in the position to buy petrol by the tanker load. 

Cheers thanks. I’ll buy some and try it out.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:24 PM, paulrnx said:

I think there is no difference in the octane rating between E5 and E10 fuel. They’ll each be available in 95, 98 or 99 octane. Or at least theoretically they can be. If comparing say E10 95 RON fuel with E5 98 RON fuel, there will be a difference in octane rating.

Supermarket 99 RON fuel is 95 RON fuel with some additives added to increase the octane (RON) rating.

With the exception of Lexus cars like the ISF, GSF, RCF, LC500, etc, I don’t think there will be any benefit in performance from filling up with higher octane fuel. It only benefits engines where the ecu is capable of continually adjusting the mapping to allow the engine to take advantage of the higher octane fuel being much more resistant to knocking/pinking. With higher octane fuels it’s possible to run more advanced timing than with lower octane fuel which adds performance.

All Lexus hybrids have one goal in common - to eke out as many miles as possible from a gallon of fuel. They are not designed to give as much performance as possible.

I’ve had quite a few reasonably quick cars and there was a noticeable difference between 98/99 and 95 RON fuel on these. Not seen it any Lexus hybrid I’ve had though. In fact I’m pretty sure that the ICE runs rougher on 98/99 fuel than it does on 95. I’ve noticed this in all four hybrids I’ve owned and I’ve noticed it enough to make me think this is the case. Impossible to do a back to back test but it does feel this way.

There are other claimed benefits for fuels such as BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power, etc, in terms of the additives they put in keeping engine combustion areas much cleaner. Some independent bodies have done some research to back this up.

I’ve just never felt it was worth doing in a Lexus hybrid and each time I did try it it felt worse rather than better.

I might well try some Millers or similar on my NX300 because it did only do 18k miles in its first 4 1/2 years. Might be worth it. It would be hard to quantify mind so maybe more a peace of mind thing perhaps? That said, touch wood, there appears to be nothing wrong with mine. 

Ive nearly always filled up with supermarket fuel i have dabbled with V power or BP ultimate. Ive got to be honest never seen any improvement at all like @colinbarber says too many variations . Yeah apparently the premium fuels have supposedly got additives in. I always remember Honest John a big fan of v power.  

• Like 1

Only ever put V-Power in the F, for no other reason than the previous owner doing it. I can afford it and don't use the car daily so I never really think about it.

Dabbled with all fuel types back in the day, but only ever noticed the difference once, where my old Honda destroyed a full tank of Tesco fuel in a matter of days. Never went back there lol!

42 minutes ago, RichGS11 said:

Only ever put V-Power in the F, for no other reason than the previous owner doing it. I can afford it and don't use the car daily so I never really think about it.

Dabbled with all fuel types back in the day, but only ever noticed the difference once, where my old Honda destroyed a full tank of Tesco fuel in a matter of days. Never went back there lol!

Was that regular tesco or tesco momentum? I've found Texaco and BP doesn't yield good mpg when used in several different cars over the years. Always found shel to be the best fuel overall in terms of mpg

10 minutes ago, TKhan430 said:

Was that regular tesco or tesco momentum? I've found Texaco and BP doesn't yield good mpg when used in several different cars over the years. Always found shel to be the best fuel overall in terms of mpg

It was their regular petrol. It just vanished after a few days of driving. I've been tempted to try Momentum as it's supplied at my local Tesco. 

• Like 1

The original Honest John, used to advocate the use of  Premium fuel at all times and recommended Shell V Power.

He said that the additional cost was more than offset by the lower fuel consumption and he produced calculations to support his view.

He stated that the occasional use of a Premium fuel did not result in better fuel consumption figures.

• Like 1

I always found Shell V-Power to be the best premium fuel when running higher powered cars. More then anything the mid-range response was always better. I did see better economy too but much harder to quantify given the many variables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just read on the news that e10 petrol will be launched 1st Sep. 

You can use the government website to see if your car is compatible. 

I'm gonna use regular shell till Sep. Mines compatible according to the website but not going to take any risks and just use V Power 

Screenshot_20210728-090712.jpg

Yeah this E10 petrol I think has scared off a number of is250 owners in that I've noticed an increase in the number of them for sale at what I'd say if far too less money.

Ok so what about E10. The simple answer is use VPower or an equivalent. The only bind is it'll cost about 45p more a gallon.

I'm keeping mine coz there's nothing comes close for the money in reliability and luxury. 

• Like 3

Initial p and Vlad at least your forced to put in quality fuel in. The loss in value of the car is250 is a good thing imo as only good quality fuel can go in as such a bargain is to be had! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links