Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

V Power vs Tesco Momentum 99

TKhan430

I've always found that I get better mpg from using v power even on my old 89 corolla years ago! 

For the first time today out in full tank of tesco momentum 99 let's see how it performs...

What fuel do you find to be better v power or momentum? 

🙂

I think there is so little difference between them that you would struggle to tell them apart - certainly any mpg difference couldn't accurately be measured on the road and there are too many external influences such as wind, temperature, congestion etc.

Never heard anything bad said about Tesco Momentum, if you are lucky enough to live near an outlet it's good value.

• Thanks 1

When I was a Private Hire driver I owned my own Prius, and always used branded fuel, or Momentum. Those drivers renting and sharing cars always put the cheapest supermarket fuel in they could find. Quite a few had running and cat problems. Of course the owner had to sort the problems out.

I never had any problems in a total of 300k over 2 cars.

Now retired I apply the same principle. Momentum at 99 Ron is roughly the same price as branded 95ron so I tend to fill up with that. 

• Thanks 2

Over the years their has been numerous debates not only on this forum but two of the Ford forums I've been on about Tesco Momentum. Yes it's been a couple years or so but the gist was keep off it. Why? Because at that time users of momentum their cars developed major fuel problems and major costs to repair. It was found that the fuel had water in it.

As for the use of supermarket cheap fuel. Balderdash to those who slate it. I've used it for the past 20 years in the petrol cars I've had and the diesel ones too. But I've always used an additive. Millers and there's been no issues whatsoever. 

Mind you when E5 petrol becomes none existent then the 'super' fuels will be the only option unless an ethanol resistance additive is used with E10 petrol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before I bought my IS250 f sport I owned a IS200 sport which I only filled up with momentum 99,and since owning the IS250 have done the same although have occasionally filled up with Shell V power when and if I am near one,and to be honest can't say I noticed any difference between the two. Moreover in the last 20 or so years I have never had an issue filling up with momentum 99 😊👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Over the years their has been numerous debates not only on this forum but two of the Ford forums I've been on about Tesco Momentum. Yes it's been a couple years or so but the gist was keep off it. Why? Because at that time users of momentum their cars developed major fuel problems and major costs to repair. It was found that the fuel had water in it.

As for the use of supermarket cheap fuel. Balderdash to those who slate it. I've used it for the past 20 years in the petrol cars I've had and the diesel ones too. But I've always used an additive. Millers and there's been no issues whatsoever. 

Mind you when E5 petrol becomes none existent then the 'super' fuels will be the only option unless an ethanol resistance additive is used with E10 petrol. 

Momentum is from Tesco supermarket fuel though?! Would it be better to get the regular Tesco petrol and add an additive? 

It's more economical I've found to use supermarket fuel and the additive I use. Millers petrol exomax which I've also used the diesel variant. 

You won't be able to get any regular RON95 petrol shortly,so you will either have to use the new E10(which some cars can't use)or use tesco momentum 99,V power,bp ultimate or esso synergy 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Ive ran virtually every car I’ve owned on “cheap nasty supermarket fuel” from 1.0 -5.0ltr be it hot hatches to family cars to performance cars and NEVER had any type of fuel/running problems

funnily enough i mistakenly put in super duper expensive fuel and got less mpg than i usually get on the watered downed crap supermarket fake fuel (taking the pee with that description lol)

i regularly do a one way 600ml 8hr journey (every 2wks) and leave house with full tank and reach Carlisle to refill for rest of journey up north and have done this for nearly a year on supermarket fuel (Asda’s to be precise) other supermarkets brands available lol but if i fill with super etc fuel have to pull in 50mls sooner or run the risk of having to push car to next filling station… and never felt or needed to add any additives and as i said earlier no running/fuel problems…. Maybe I’m just lucky 🤔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well put Graham. The Millers I use I started using it about 18 years ago in my beloved MG ZT diesel after chatting with a travelling salesman who swore by it in his diesel. I noticed a cleaner running car and when I moved back to petrol I carried on using it. Call it habit. Call it what ever. Do I notice any difference? I don't know as I've not stopped using it.

I agree with Graham. I have run a number of cars (the last 4 Lexus) on 'regular' supermarket fuel, without any additive, and often covering in excess of 25,000 miles per year, and I have never experienced any petrol related issue.

To me, using supermarket fuel is the same as using non-branded paracetamol or ibuprofen. All have to meet the same legal and industry-specific requirements to be on sale, so why pay extra for the branded stuff.

• Like 1

Only ever used normal Sainsbury's normal fuel in the GSF and also in the NX or the old IS250. 

Lol Ike others have said though what my choice would be if I am only given the choice of E10 or premium... Hmm now that's the question.

Called at Tesco to fill up my wifes car today. As usual, I carefully scanned the pumps to select the correct fuel and saw that Tesco are now selling E10 fuel. Went ahead and filled it up with E10 fuel so will see what difference if any.

On additives, I bought Redex fuel injector cleaner from Asda for £2 and it does 2 fill ups. Used it in the NX and got better fuel consumption. Will add some more after a few more fill ups. Co-incidently used the Redex in the wifes car and also saw an improvement in MPG.

Cheap enough at £1 a fill up and certainly cheaper than using super unleaded.

• Thanks 1

I think there is no difference in the octane rating between E5 and E10 fuel. They’ll each be available in 95, 98 or 99 octane. Or at least theoretically they can be. If comparing say E10 95 RON fuel with E5 98 RON fuel, there will be a difference in octane rating.

Supermarket 99 RON fuel is 95 RON fuel with some additives added to increase the octane (RON) rating.

With the exception of Lexus cars like the ISF, GSF, RCF, LC500, etc, I don’t think there will be any benefit in performance from filling up with higher octane fuel. It only benefits engines where the ecu is capable of continually adjusting the mapping to allow the engine to take advantage of the higher octane fuel being much more resistant to knocking/pinking. With higher octane fuels it’s possible to run more advanced timing than with lower octane fuel which adds performance.

All Lexus hybrids have one goal in common - to eke out as many miles as possible from a gallon of fuel. They are not designed to give as much performance as possible.

I’ve had quite a few reasonably quick cars and there was a noticeable difference between 98/99 and 95 RON fuel on these. Not seen it any Lexus hybrid I’ve had though. In fact I’m pretty sure that the ICE runs rougher on 98/99 fuel than it does on 95. I’ve noticed this in all four hybrids I’ve owned and I’ve noticed it enough to make me think this is the case. Impossible to do a back to back test but it does feel this way.

There are other claimed benefits for fuels such as BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power, etc, in terms of the additives they put in keeping engine combustion areas much cleaner. Some independent bodies have done some research to back this up.

I’ve just never felt it was worth doing in a Lexus hybrid and each time I did try it it felt worse rather than better.

I might well try some Millers or similar on my NX300 because it did only do 18k miles in its first 4 1/2 years. Might be worth it. It would be hard to quantify mind so maybe more a peace of mind thing perhaps? That said, touch wood, there appears to be nothing wrong with mine. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between E5 and E10 is only the amount of bio-ethanol in the fuel. 5% or 10%. Octane ratings should be the same when comparing like for like fuels, eg standard Shell unleaded E5 or E10 should have the same octane rating.

• Thanks 1

None of this is quoted from the internet, it is what I’ve read in car magazines and hopefully correctly remembered so go easy on me if not 😀

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

It only benefits engines where the ecu is capable of continually adjusting the mapping to allow the engine to take advantage of the higher octane fuel being much more resistant to knocking/pinking.

That's pretty much any Toyota engine in the last 25 years. They all have knock sensors and variable timing. But the advantages are minimal in everyday driving, and mainly slight mpg improvements rather than power, even for the F vehicles.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

That's pretty much any Toyota engine in the last 25 years. They all have knock sensors and variable timing. But the advantages are minimal in everyday driving, and mainly slight mpg improvements rather than power, even for the F vehicles.

I just can’t see it being the case on the Atkinson cycle engines used in the hybrids though. Might be wrong but they are in such a low state of tune. I’m sure they would be in the non hybrids.

I've used Millers petrol ecomax in 2x is300h and the RX450H I had. Used it as I've been using for decades and out of habit maybe But those cars ran silky smooth and especially the 300h ran very economically. No issues at all with those hybrids running millers.

• Like 1

............... only really used supermarket ordinary petrol for my car(s) over these many years and at 232k miles the Lexus seems to perform quite well with no noticeable loss of power when I'm chasing some smart-arse from the traffic lights, or just ambling around the country lanes / belting down the motorway too

I chase the fuel price tbh .....  used E10 once or twice to fill-up when touring somewhere in europe and that was the only petrol available at the pumps ........  did notice at altitude tho' that petrol type could be an issue ........  along the Rift in South Africa say ........ in a hire Toyota Corolla at the time and across the Pyrenees too in my Ls400

remembering shots of RedEx going into cars fuel tanks with the petrol in olden times when I was a petrol pump attendant in my youth .....  one shot a gallon was it ? 1p a shot too ...........  wouldn't know if it made any difference ..  doubt any of those cars are around today to check-up on :unsure:

Maybe we are now perceiving some imaginary intolerance in our cars' behaviour ...  to the benefit of the sellers of additives and more expensive fuels :yes:

I don't know ( much about anything perhaps ! )

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

I've used Millers petrol ecomax in 2x is300h and the RX450H I had. Used it as I've been using for decades and out of habit maybe But those cars ran silky smooth and especially the 300h ran very economically. No issues at all with those hybrids running millers.

Cheers. How much does it cost and how long does a bottle last for please?

My father in law used to work for a well known business in the Gloucestershire area that had a some filling stations as-well as farm shops maybe some of know them JSS 😉 & the owner could buy a tanker load of fuel at supermarket grade for about 5-7k cheaper than the rest but always got the better grade despite not many people caring so could make a lot more money so I guess there has to be something in it.

• Like 1