Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best tip.... do it in a camper van - you'll see 1000s of those.

If you love coastal scenery, it's great. As far as driving roads go, on the Scottish scale, NC500 is.... average.

Have a drive through the Cairngorms!

On 7/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Arqum said:

Anyone done it? Any tips?

Looking to book it all for Sept

Great scenery, you've got to do it but definitely spend some time in the Cairngorms, that has a bit of everything! 

1 hour ago, Arqum said:

Added to the lists. Any recommendations Re hotels? Something with good sunset views? 

Kylescu hotel and restaurant on the south side of the bridge. Really good. 

Done it many many times or at least parts of it 

take your time and enjoy and take loads of photos

be very very weary of the deer as thes 1000s of them and they don’t give a hoot about traffic 

take loads of midgie repellant (even that won’t be enough) 

and make sure you’ve plenty of water/liquids 

seriously is a lovely drive 

done it on motorbike 

Lexus LS600HL SC and part of route in RCF 

and numerous part of nc500 routes in artic lorry (ps if you meet one be prepared to reverse a distance as some of the roads are basically single track

did I mention take loads of photos 😂 

scenery is breath taking

good god I should work for the Scottish tourist board 😂 

• Like 1

Might wanna take a jerry can or two. Make sure you top up at every petrol station. Also, there is 0 premium fuel up there so if you will up with Momentum99 or V-Power, you have no chance.

take your time, go off piste too .......  don't prebook, there should be plenty of B&Bs etc enroute ....  unless staycationers have booked it all up 😵

a timeless beautiful but midge ridden time to go  ............ we used to do 3/4 weeks touring Scotland from home in Kent and take maybe 3500 miles or so

we'll get back into it maybe next year I hope

Malc

Done it loads of times. As stated by others, there are some great driving sections on the NC500 route but there are some awesome diversions off it that shouldn't be missed.

If time permits, sample the A939 high road through the Cairngorms too. Better still, do it sideways in the Winter.🙃 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Hi @Arqum,

I've just finalised booking my NC500 trip in September. Done it over the past few weeks 🤣.

Looks like there will be 2 F's in the area 👍

I'll be there mid to late September in the ISF..... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neil E said:

3 Fs in the Highlands?

I'll delay my trip until October this year, don't want to get held up too much.🤣

Don't make me bring my mobile home back in October....😅

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 10:41 PM, RustyB said:

Don't make me bring my mobile home back in October....😅

🤣 lol, that was funny. 

Motorhomes are mostly okay to navigate around...until it's single track, it's the really slow F drivers like MR2LAD that get in my way. I'm sure they drive slowly to avoid injuring any midges.🤣

Good stable, LS430 or the ISF, tough choice for a long adventure.👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Neil E said:

avoid injuring any midges

be sure to take anti midge cream / repellent ............  they really can be awesomely 'orrible things when they start biting

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, Neil E said:

🤣 lol, that was funny. 

Motorhomes are mostly okay to navigate around...until it's single track, it's the really slow F drivers like MR2LAD that get in my way. I'm sure they drive slowly to avoid injuring any midges.🤣

Good stable, LS430 or the ISF, tough choice for a long adventure.👍

Thank you, do you still have the SC?  One is still on my 'wanted' list, until the LC500 price drops significantly anyway!! Either of those would be the ultimate for the NC500 in my eyes... in the sun obviously!! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RustyB said:

Thank you, do you still have the SC?  One is still on my 'wanted' list, until the LC500 price drops significantly anyway!! Either of those would be the ultimate for the NC500 in my eyes... in the sun obviously!! 

Yes I still have the mad SC430. I should have sold it long ago but it continues to evolve.

Sunny day North West Highlands but the roof is on. It's even been to Lewis and South Uist.

Ignoring the driving experience, the RX is really the best vehicle for the job as you can see so much more, it's big comfortable (not quite like the LS) and it will cope with anything thrown at it, Summer or Winter but if you want to have fun, the SC430 is hard to beat....raises a few eyebrows too.😊

image.thumb.png.f8ef5d7e1cd3dd7da9a9b323b6457501.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neil E said:

Yes I still have the mad SC430. I should have sold it long ago but it continues to evolve.

Sunny day North West Highlands but the roof is on. It's even been to Lewis and South Uist.

Ignoring the driving experience, the RX is really the best vehicle for the job as you can see so much more, it's big comfortable (not quite like the LS) and it will cope with anything thrown at it, Summer or Winter but if you want to have fun, the SC430 is hard to beat....raises a few eyebrows too.😊

image.thumb.png.f8ef5d7e1cd3dd7da9a9b323b6457501.png

I have to agree on both points! We saw great views from the camper in 2019 (and it's not one of the slow ones, and I use wing mirrors, so didn't hold anything up!!) but the idea of taking an SC would be (realistic) motoring heaven!

It's interesting to know how pleased you are with the RX, ironically I'm looking at one of those as a replacement for the LS in a couple of years time.... I usually have one practice estate/SUV and a saloon, when I bought the ISF I thought I was replacing the LS, however I was 'instructed' that my ex police V70 T6 would be going as she loves the passenger experience of the LS!