Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake/ABS Malfunction after bleeding the passenger side front brake.

In need of a bit of advice guys.

Car is RX450h 2013 - I bled just one of my front brakes as I had to replace a seized caliper and didn't use the Techstream software/procedure. As soon as I started bleeding and turned the car on it said "Brake malfunction", "ABS Malfunction", there is a constant beeping sound when the car is turned on and now the brake pedal is super firm and the car doesn't stop as good as before.

I tested the brakes on a long stretch and now when I brake hard, the car kind of steers to the right (I serviced the left brake caliper). Does that mean that there is still air in the brakes? I bled until there was no air bubbles and didn't leave the brake reservoir go under minimum. Do I need to bleed the same brake again with Techstream attached and erase error codes?

I guess it's worth mentioning that the vehicle had no errors prior to bleeding the brake.

Thank you in advance. :turned:

I only thing I can suggest is to clear the error codes (disconnect the Battery if you have no other means) and let the system self-test and re-pressurise again.

Really you should use Techstream and follow the correct procedure to change the fluid or bleed the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I only thing I can suggest is to clear the error codes (disconnect the battery if you have no other means) and let the system self-test and re-pressurise again.

Really you should use Techstream and follow the correct procedure to change the fluid or bleed the system.

In a hindsight, I should have, was considering it to be on the safe side. But got mislead by people online saying that you don't need Techstream for bleeding front brakes as apparently only needed when bleeding rear brakes where the Battery is. I guess they are wrong :wallbash:

• Like 1

I sympathise - - - the world is (increasingly full / littered) of recommendations / influencers (Pah!!)/ and information sources regaling its readers with advice.

I applaud you for tackling the job, and hold a (virtual) arm around your shoulder in comforting you in your hour(s) of misdirection.

The good news is that you've illustrated and emphasised the reason why advice should be sought from, and carefully read, from genuinely authoritative and reliable forums such as this.

Kiko - - many thanks for publishing your post.

Edited by Illogan
poor spolling
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Illogan said:

I sympathise - - - the world is (increasingly full / littered) of recommendations / influencers (Pah!!)/ and information sources regaling its readers with advice.

I applaud you for tackling the job, and hold a (virtual) arm around your shoulder in comforting you in your hour(s) of misdirection.

The good news is that you've illustrated and emphasised the reason why advice should be sought from, and carefully read, from genuinely authoritative and reliable forums such as this.

Kiko - - many thanks for publishing your post.

I'm just hoping that not using Techstream when bleeding that brake has not damaged my ABS pump module as apparently that's rather expensive and I'll just have to bleed the brakes with Techstream attached to remedy the issue.

@Illogan Do you think bleeding the brakes without Techstream can damage the ABS pump?

I was also under the impression that you only needed Techstream to bleed the rear brakes (but may be incorrect understanding).

What method was used to bleed the brake and keep the system pressurized while you were working on the seized calliper?  Did you clamp the flexible to ensure no air found it's way back into system while working on seized calliper   

8 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I was also under the impression that you only needed Techstream to bleed the rear brakes (but may be incorrect understanding).

What method was used to bleed the brake and keep the system pressurized while you were working on the seized calliper?  Did you clamp the flexible to ensure no air found it's way back into system while working on seized calliper   

I swapped the brake line from the old to the new calliper in 15 seconds while the brake line was compressed.

4 hours ago, KikoUK said:

I swapped the brake line from the old to the new calliper in 15 seconds while the brake line was compressed.

Well, almost certainly air got into the system.  I have never had a problem when changing callipers or replacing flexibles including with ABS system but maybe have been lucky.  I know there are some master cylinders that have to be bled but have yet to check whether this is the case with Lexus.  Might be worth seeking view of a Lexus independent who will be aware of any special requirements.

19 hours ago, KikoUK said:

Do you think bleeding the brakes without Techstream can damage the ABS pump?

No, I just think the system noticed the pressure drop and/or when pressurising it took too long (because it was compressing air in the system). Even using the official bleeding procedure you may get the same errors you have:

1. While performing air bleeding, the accumulator pressure drop may cause a buzzer to sound. As there is no problem, continue with air bleeding.
  2. During air bleeding, DTCs for pressure sensor malfunctions, etc. may be stored. After air bleeding and if instructed in the procedures, clear the DTCs.
  • Like 1

Before brake bleeding, with the power switch OFF, remove the two ABS motor relays. Then turn power switch ON.

Bleed the front brakes, furthest from brake master cylinder first. Then do the other one.

To bleed the rear brakes, turn power switch Off, install the two ABS motor relays, and then turn power switch ON.

With the Techstream or any other diagnostic tool, select " electronically controlled brake system invalid. "  without this option, the solenoid will not functon and no fluid will be pushed out of the brake system when you depress the brake pedal, rendering rear bleeding impossible.

With the brake pedal depressed, bleed the rear brakes. There is a lot of fluid coming out due to the solenoid pushing brake fluid out. Make sure you always have the reservoir filled and observe you do not allow too much fluid to come out. If you draw air in, you must repeat the process from the beginning.

During rear bleeding, ignore buzzers and trouble codes.

When you finish, reset electronically controlled brake system and clear all codes.

Chris.

• Like 4

Update-1:

Tried disconnecting the Battery, left it off for 10-15 minutes, when I started the vehicle afterwards it stated that it's booting up the system, had to press the start button again in order to actually bring it to the normal "ready" state, but the errors reappeared as soon as I tried to drive. The funny thing is, when I start the car for first time after not driving it for a few hours, the brake pedal feels normal at first, but then as soon as it "realizes" that there are errors, it starts beeping and the pedal gets super firm.

I also called my local Lexus dealer and asked how much they would charge me for the job I did myself (new calliper and sliding pins/shoes) and they said that would cost £800 pat.gif Don't regret doing it myself even after having those errors..

I've ordered Techstream cable/software but it will arrive in almost 10 days. I'll keep you guys updated.

• 2 months later...

Quick update in case someone else stumbles upon the same problem. I intentionally didn't report back straight after fixing the car as I wanted some time to pass, but after over a thousand miles, there are no issues and the fix was actually really easy once I got my cable and techstream software installed.

Once I scanned for errors, the only error present was C1342 - Hydraulic System Malfunction (FL). Cleared the error and car was back to normal straight away and hasn't had any issues since.

I'd like to also thank everyone who answered above and tried to help. Safe driving :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1