Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ECU Anti tamper Screws

vic

I recently tried to take a look at the inside of my cars ECU (engine control unit) & came across some anti tamper screws. These i thought were TORX Anti tamper, but when i tried my TORX set none would fit!! Anybody know exactly what size they are or are they something different? Or maybe a special size that have been made for lexus?

vic i will look 2 morrow at my ECU ive got everything in the engine stripped out at the mo.......so i will have a look at the ECU for you......ive got thousands of tools

well should do really i have a garage:rolleyes:

yes it has with a pin in the middle...I know that its called Torx Anti tamper but its an unusual between size 20 & 25 which ive been told by all the tool shops doesnt exist!

well i do have one that fits ...........but yesterday in the process of ripping all the car to bits to fit stuff..........ive knocked it of somewhere.....:?::?::?:

im gonna look again today vic,,,,,,,,,sorry

its as you say an anti tamper,dam......im crap:rolleyes:

You can buy the tools to get these out, Compaq use them on their PC's and i have bought sets in the past for my engineers.

They are a Torx tool with a hole in the middle, I got mine from a tool shop.

Weird...I run my own computer business so i have most of these tools...but none will fit on my ecu...oh well thanxs for looking guys....please let me know if you come up with anything else!

..oh well thanxs for looking guys....please let me know if you come up with anything else!

i did find a roll of solder,and some rover main fuses......................but sorry still cannot find Torx socket

mat

I purchased a screwdriver bit set from Brown Brothers the other day which cost me about £15

It has some of those type bits inside

Pop into your local branch and have a look,it's made by Taskmaster

Tried it :( they are definatley an inbetween size that is not available over the counter......but I do have a friend who knows someone at toyota who is going to see if he can find out some more for me :yes:

Is it the "star" part of the torx that's the wrong size, or is it the hole/pin that is the problem?

I only mention this 'cos I have a set of security torx drivers, but on some of them the hole is not particularly well formed or central - maybe you should try a different set.

Tried that too...I bought an allen key type set & a socket type set! The socket type was a better fit but not quite there....so I ended up putting the larger of the two into one of the screws & tapped it in with a hammer....it was looking good! Turned it & it just buggered up the thread a bit!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

:sniff:

• 2 weeks later...

Well found out more for those interested.... an anti tamper Torx bit is a six sided star with a hole in the middle...these can be picked up fairly easily.... on the ecu it looks just like an anti tamper Torx apart from it's a five sided star with a hole in the middle, Ive found out from major tool suppliers & people I know who work at toyota garages that this is a special oem tool that is not available to buy at all, local garages in my area have tried to get this tool & they have had no luck, ive been told that lexus come out & unscrew it for them for a charge!!! How mad is that!! Now that is a high security tool!!

The next thing im going to do is put a drop of oil into the screw then put in some sort of putty that dries to metal..eg araldite...even if it breaks after one turn then at least i'll be able to get the ecu open!!

I'll let you all know how i get on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a final update on the tool guys, It is known as a 5 sided Torx Anti-tamper. At present it isnt possible to buy it anywhere, the only possibility is maybe to get it from 'snap on' but right now it isnt even available through them. I had mine undone by a friend who works for toyota. Give it a year or so & someone will have released a copy of it...

• 18 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links