Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I gave car a quick wash tonight as sun got a bit lower. I dipped the oil. I'm really surprised how clean it looks after 4500miles . Best i can describe is it is a pale straw color. 

14 hours ago, ALAW said:

I gave car a quick wash tonight as sun got a bit lower. I dipped the oil. I'm really surprised how clean it looks after 4500miles . Best i can describe is it is a pale straw color. 

I've had 6 Lexus cars in 12 years and all of them have had clean, light coloured oil just before service was due, amazing really!

• Like 1

Had mine serviced on Wednesday just gone and as I always do, I checked the oil on the stick and  for quite a few moments I honestly believed it hadn't been filled up! It does seem to me that Toyota/Lexus oil is particularly clear, with no discernable colour to it. I'd also say it's good to be driving petrol again given I have had diesels for the last 16 years (albeit not exclusively) and their oil turned black within minutes of it being changed! That's not to say there was anything amiss, but just that in my experience it is a characteristic of diesels and doesn't help you gauge the condition of the oil.

• Like 1

Yes, I find it quite difficult to see the oil level when you check it warm (as recommended). Neither the LC500 or the NS uses any oil between services.

• Like 1

It is extremely difficult to tell the correct level with new oil with it being so clear and thin on the dip stick.

Maybe some artificial colouring would make it easier, they put an artificial smell in natural gas so it can be smelt.

For those with a transmission dip stick the level is easy to check with red fluid.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, steve2006 said:

It is extremely difficult to tell the correct level with new oil with it being so clear and thin on the dip stick.

I have the same problem on my Mercedes C Class petrol. I believe, later models have an electric sensor to warn of low oil levels.

never have the bonnet up to check the oil level ........... if ever it were to need levelling-up  ( like that phrase now ! ) isn't there a dash light to tell you ?  even on my golden oldie .................. ah, but I do occasionally lift the bonnet to top up the screen wash ......  but jeez that's so rare too

............. maybe I should take more interest in the engine oil colour in between services ......  annual and used to be 10/12k mile intervals usually .........  might just be a couple of 000 miles this next time around tho' what with lockdown and never venturing that far nowadays ...  hope that all changes eh !

sorry to digress ...  once I get going :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

Lexus hybrid engines are in a fairly low state of tune and this, together with the brain of the car deciding never to rev the engine beyond certain limits, means that the engines are never stressed. Pretty sure this has something to do with how clean the oil stays. I agree though, the oil always looks in good nick.

• Like 1

My guess is that low oil consumption and clean oil has got a lot to do with close manufacturing tolerances for pistons, cylinder bores, rings, valve stems and guides together with high quality materials and oil. Such things have moved on a long, long way since the 70s and early 80s when I messed around with Ford Anglias, Cortinas, etc.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

My guess is that low oil consumption and clean oil has got a lot to do with close manufacturing tolerances for pistons, cylinder bores, rings, valve stems and guides together with high quality materials and oil. Such things have moved on a long, long way since the 70s and early 80s when I messed around with Ford Anglias, Cortinas, etc.

👍 I remember that well! 😀 Mine was Hillman Hunters and Fiestas mainly. The points would close up very quickly and it would be a regular task to reset them.

6 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

👍 I remember that well! 😀 Mine was Hillman Hunters and Fiestas mainly. The points would close up very quickly and it would be a regular task to reset them.

Thankfully cars are now much more reliable and need much less attention. At my age I no longer want to be bending over an engine bay or lying on a cold floor. But at least with cars of that era I could open the bonnet and understand what everything was and it was far more feasible to diagnose and fix faults.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

Thankfully cars are now much more reliable and need much less attention. At my age I no longer want to be bending over an engine bay or lying on a cold floor. But at least with cars of that era I could open the bonnet and understand what everything was and it was far more feasible to diagnose and fix faults.

Agreed. Definitely 😀