Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member David allias Mafio

mafio

I live in South Yorkshire, I am a retired electronics engineer but now having been retired some ten years the industry has now left me a long way behind. I have just bought myself a ten year old IS250. So far I love it, it drives very smoothly and is very comfortable. The only gripe so far is the out of date sat' nav'. I beleive mine is a hard drive update, any idea the cost of updating via a Lexus dealer. I can of course use my mobile. My previous car was an Avensis and I thought that was a good car but this one is 100 times better. As with the Avensis I wish that Toyota could be a little more helpful in supporting owners of older vehicles.

• Like 1

Welcome David,good to have you on board.

IS250 is a very nice car which was once described by the second best Motoring Journalist of all time (Honest John) as "the most reliable car on the Planet"). Is it a 4/6  pot?

Please tell us why you bought it and if you know it, something about its history. A little piccie or two would be nice.

Our Electrical Wizard Herbie will I am sure be along soon to welcome you.

Please contribute freely.

• Like 1

www.lexus-mapupdates.eu 

hope that will help David. Congrats with your car you will not regret it, i loved mine. Bulletproof reliability, bankvault like build quality and butterysmooth engine, a true Lexus.

Hello David and welcome to the LOC,hoping you find the forum educational and informative,if yours is a HDD as is mine, then its main dealer only and cost give and take a bit is between around 160 - 200 quid( although I have heard that a few owners have managed to update it without going to a main dealer)

Welcome David.

As others have said, up to £200 and that update is just a map update, it doesn't give you any improved functionality. Personally I'd invest in a phone mount and use whatever app you prefer.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks for the good wishes.

yes its a V6, 6 speed Its a dream to drive. 

Windscreen washer bottle spang a leak last week. Good news the dealer replaced it under warranty. So far all is well.

As far as the sat nav goes I will use my phone.

1 hour ago, mafio said:

As far as the sat nav goes I will use my phone.

Very wise, David.  The Lexus sat nav is, sadly, a pain to use, expensive to update and, I believe, only revised every two years anyway.  When I checked my system I think it was no longer supported in any case.

But I had long ago lost interest as I use my Garmin, which has four free updates every year.  It’s really the only feature of my IS that is a disappointment.  Otherwise, it’s been a delight - as I’m sure you’ll discover.

Hi David and welcome to is250 ownership and the best Lexus forum there is. You say your car is 10 years old. So is it an 11 plate? Which spec of car is yours? 

Re satnav. Unless someone corrects me the satnav is a CD/DVD type. If you look at where the hazard warning switch is on the black central panel between the heater buttons and the satnav screen. On that panel at each end do you see a small hole? Also in setting in the satnav screen do you see eject DVD? If you do see those then the only way to update is via an upto date disc which your car should have that in anyway.

Personally I don't see why other fellow owners slate the satnav. Its more than good enough but yes there are a number of roads streets which have been built within the past few years but even my tomtoms don't k ow of some of them and they're all up to date (I have 3 tomtoms, I don't bin them when I buy a new one)

Hi David and welcome to a great forum ,I don't think you will be disappointed  with the IS 250 .Mine is 10 years old ,I have owned it for 6 and a half years and it is brilliant .I carry out all my own maintenance and apart from routine work the car has been 100%.The sat nav is a pain ,I asked about the HDD update when I took it to its only main dealer visit for the airbag update and they didn't seem keen due to problems they had encountered previously .It my be worth checking your car has had the airbag recall done and also check the Service history when the car gets to this age it may be due bigger jobs such as coolant change (10 years) or spark plug change 60,000+  or serpentine belt change ,I mention this as I have just this W/e changed the belt on the side of the road locally for a friend who thought the belt had been changed but it broke at 112,000 miles and was obviously original !. I don't have too much problem with the sat nav as Mr Vlad says and I use WAZE app to fill in blanks .  Enjoy your new motor

Dave

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Re satnav. Unless someone corrects me the satnav is a CD/DVD type.

2010 onwards had a revised audio system with USB input, and the nav changed to hard drive based rather than DVD.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links