Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Holidays with the Lexus

9 minutes ago, RustyB said:

I would of mentioned that, but then I would have to admit to my error when driving in France to my friends remote farmhouse, my first time driving in France in a about a decade (as my defense!!) meeting a French vehicle coming my way on a narrow almost single track road as we both move to my left....😊

Allo, Allo!

On 7/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

One of the reasons for getting the RX was how capable it would be on the French run, for me the driving there is as much a part of the experience as what we do and see on arrival, but sadly it's only made it there the once since getting it in 2019.

May use the LS400 to attend a show at the end of the month, that's a 200-mile round trip.

Exactly my sentiments! Driving in France - even on the WRONG side of the road - is such a pleasure!

I have driven in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Hungary. In France you can drive for miles on large main roads and not see another car for miles and miles.

Motoring Nivana!

5 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Exactly my sentiments! Driving in France - even on the WRONG side of the road - is such a pleasure!

I have driven in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Hungary. In France you can drive for miles on large main roads and not see another car for miles and miles.

Motoring Nivana!

I Second that! I love driving over there, little to no lane hogging, drive at a decent speed, amazing views on lovely long often straight roads...

• Like 1

It happened to me a couple of times years ago to be on the left hand side of the road driving a left hand drive car in Slovakia and in Italy because I was still used to drive in Ireland. Opposite drivers were looking at me suspiciously. Now I can easily switch between left and right hand drive without confusion. 

Bought my Lexus 2 years ago with the intention of driving in Europe. Alas, only managed once, so far!

Drove from the Eurotunnel tunnel down to Bayeux. It was the first time for me, and took a bit of getting used to. Especially coming out of the terminal and being thrown onto the fast moving dual carriageway!!

Found judging the width at the tolls difficult as I hadn't had the car long, and the wife being a little short!

Anyone find the rail carriages narrow? The toilet blocks were very close to my mirrors, and the sensors were beeping all the time. Couldn't get out of the car so didn't see how much clearance I had. Was a tad worried about kerbing my alloys, and got away unscathed!

Hopefully going again in September if allowed!

12 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Bought my Lexus 2 years ago with the intention of driving in Europe. Alas, only managed once, so far!

Drove from the Eurotunnel tunnel down to Bayeux. It was the first time for me, and took a bit of getting used to. Especially coming out of the terminal and being thrown onto the fast moving dual carriageway!!

Found judging the width at the tolls difficult as I hadn't had the car long, and the wife being a little short!

Anyone find the rail carriages narrow? The toilet blocks were very close to my mirrors, and the sensors were beeping all the time. Couldn't get out of the car so didn't see how much clearance I had. Was a tad worried about kerbing my alloys, and got away unscathed!

Hopefully going again in September if allowed!

Go by ferry - much more civilised!

I wondered about the ferry. 

Do they tether the car down? Went to Jersey some years ago, and the wheel trims got scratched by the straps. The ferries look a bit cramped for space, especially for door opening and passengers brushing past with shoulder bags etc.

5 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Do they tether the car down? Went to Jersey some years ago, and the wheel trims got scratched by the straps. The ferries look a bit cramped for space, especially for door opening and passengers brushing past with shoulder bags etc.

I have lived in France for the past 15 years and regularly use the ferry (3 or 4 times a year). Only had the car strapped down once when the sea was particularly rough. Love driving over here, no aggression ( unless around a major city) and very little traffic. They really look after their roads, very few potholes. They are keen on their speed cameras with a lot more active ones than in  GB and they have introduced unmarked radar cars in most departments provided by private companies. Income from them last year exceeded 1billion euros. The French motoring organisations claim it is a national stealth tax! 

32 minutes ago, westo3 said:

I have lived in France for the past 15 years and regularly use the ferry (3 or 4 times a year). Only had the car strapped down once when the sea was particularly rough. Love driving over here, no aggression ( unless around a major city) and very little traffic. They really look after their roads, very few potholes. They are keen on their speed cameras with a lot more active ones than in  GB and they have introduced unmarked radar cars in most departments provided by private companies. Income from them last year exceeded 1billion euros. The French motoring organisations claim it is a national stealth tax! 

And they are right Nick and as I understand radar detectors are illegal? But the driving environment sounds idyllic 🚘😎

56 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Just back from Jersey by air, 45mins 🤗. But I am thinking of taking my car and dog next time. I see Condor has a 4.50 hr crossing have you used it? Would you recommend? Thanks Phil 

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

It's Wednesday every one should be allowed at least one a week 🤣 and you forgot to mention drivers on country roads who believe the centre of the road extends to the opposite kerb 😱

I have noticed some really poor behaviour when oncoming drivers overtake bicycles. They have been conditioned by the adverts to leave a big gap when passing a cyclist and they get that but right. What they don’t get right is making sure it is clear and safe to do so and especially not doing it on corners etc. Someone overtook a cyclist on the country roads around where I live on a blind bend and I only just stopped in time. The other driver just stopped and got out of his car and said what did I think I was doing because he was overtaking a cyclist in the correct manner. It was a fairly short conversation with me explaining why it wasn’t ideal to go round a blind corner on the opposite side of the road. The cyclist stopped and confirmed that the car following him had had ample time to overtake him on a previous straight stretch and he simply couldn’t believe the car then overtook him on a blind corner. A dashcam beckons methinks!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Just back from Jersey by air, 45mins 🤗. But I am thinking of taking my car and dog next time. I see Condor has a 4.50 hr crossing have you used it? Would you recommend? Thanks Phil 

It's about 10 years ago when we last went. Went on one of the catamarans. Altogether about 6 times prior. On all occasions cars were tethered, and closely packed together. 

Only one bad weather crossing. 

Not sure I'd want to take the Lexus. The car park spaces are quite small, and of course the roads narrow as well. 

I'd rather fly and hire a car, or go in our Aygo on the ferry. 

But yes,would recommend. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I have noticed some really poor behaviour when oncoming drivers overtake bicycles. They have been conditioned by the adverts to leave a big gap when passing a cyclist and they get that but right. What they don’t get right is making sure it is clear and safe to do so and especially not doing it on corners etc. Someone overtook a cyclist on the country roads around where I live on a blind bend and I only just stopped in time. The other driver just stopped and got out of his car and said what did I think I was doing because he was overtaking a cyclist in the correct manner. It was a fairly short conversation with me explaining why it wasn’t ideal to go round a blind corner on the opposite side of the road. The cyclist stopped and confirmed that the car following him had had ample time to overtake him on a previous straight stretch and he simply couldn’t believe the car then overtook him on a blind corner. A dashcam beckons methinks!

Or the other...well I indicated (before blindly pulling I to your path!!) therefore I did nothing wrong, brigade!

26 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

If you substitute the word cyclist for car/tractor /van we wouldn't comment on it because it happens all the time therefore we accept it as our basic defensive driving assumption is that ALL other drivers are idiots. Although it does give us a chance to practise our Anglo-Saxon expletive heritage. However cyclists do engender a different range of emotions and frustrations. My single biggest gripe on my local rural roads is why do they think it acceptable to impede my progress? Tractors pull over why not cyclists when they have a queue behind them? Can you imagine the outcry from the lycra community if they were constantly behind say a steam engine doing 3mph.🤠🤠🤠

Hi just a thought for PRT68 Paul if you intend to do a lot of miles on the French motorway you could consider the E Movis tag it can be rented for approx 8 euros a year and you can drive through the tolls in a dedicated lane and pay the bill when you get home - solved all our problems been using it for over 10 years .The euro tunnel group usually have an offer of a subsidised tag .I agree the ferry is more civilised ,we have been using the ferry for a few years now since idiot French protestors set fire to piles of tyres at the rail terminal and delayed our trip (If you want to protest the French are professional !! )

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, true blue said:

Hi just a thought for PRT68 Paul if you intend to do a lot of miles on the French motorway you could consider the E Movis tag it can be rented for approx 8 euros a year and you can drive through the tolls in a dedicated lane and pay the bill when you get home - solved all our problems been using it for over 10 years .The euro tunnel group usually have an offer of a subsidised tag .I agree the ferry is more civilised ,we have been using the ferry for a few years now since idiot French protestors set fire to piles of tyres at the rail terminal and delayed our trip (If you want to protest the French are professional !! )

Dave

Great Post Dave thanks 👍

I did a review of my French trip in the RX here:

At the time I didn't realise I'd need to hold onto those pleasant memories for several years because we couldn't go again!

The place we stayed at in 2019 was so nice we've booked it for next summer, maybe it'll eventually work out?.........

• Like 1

I've just so so enjoyed my relatively simple wandering around europe ( incl Ireland ) from time to time over the years ..........  the only concern on occasion was finding a petrol station ............  there was always a B&B or small, or even large hotel to stay at en route ......  that was never ever a problem ....... going off the main roads is the key, wandering the country lanes and mountain roads was always delightful and often full of incredible surprises, some of which I have mentioned here in the past ............. dry mountain passes are wonderful in the Ls400 ....  always avoided snow and icy roads coz I know from experience here in the UK that's a " no-no " with the impossible handling in those situations BUT everything else is do-able and so wonderful ............. really hope covid doesn't stop me in my tracks for too long BUT I do think it might be wishful thinking that all this tragedy will be behind us anytime soon

Keep on praying eh for the return of sensible motoring adventure opportunities ..............  touring the UK is great and there's lots of amazing places too BUT it's going to be full of Brits methinks doing the same :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I've just so so enjoyed my relatively simple wandering around europe ( incl Ireland ) from time to time over the years ..........  the only concern on occasion was finding a petrol station ............  there was always a B&B or small, or even large hotel to stay at en route ......  that was never ever a problem ....... going off the main roads is the key, wandering the country lanes and mountain roads was always delightful and often full of incredible surprises............

Exactly what we used to in pre-children days. Most of that was camping as we were on a limited budget, but we never booked anywhere and just found somewhere at the end of each day, occasionally ending up in the luxury of a hotel if there was no campsite to be found or the weather was dire. We packed up the tent each morning, looked at the map to see what roads looked small/interesting and had some attraction marked and just drove where we fancie, with a vague of heading in a certain direction.

One year we'd intended going back up thw est coast of France, but we ended up going east instead via the edge of The Alps.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Should have been taking the RX to France next week for a fortnight, but we cancelled that 2-3 months ago when it was becoming apparent things weren't really going the right way, so we'll be using it for a drive to Malvern and back. Will be good to let it stretch its legs a bit.

One of the reasons for getting the RX was how capable it would be on the French run, for me the driving there is as much a part of the experience as what we do and see on arrival, but sadly it's only made it there the once since getting it in 2019.

May use the LS400 to attend a show at the end of the month, that's a 200-mile round trip.

We had our next Austrian road trip planned for April last year, it was all booked and looking forward to cruising in the Celsior but that all got cancelled, we lost £180 for the Eurotunnel booking and 100 Euros from a b&b in Luxembourg. Now the Celsior is sold, so next time it'll have to be in the Honda!

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

And after 2 long years I`m booked on the Shuttle from Folkstone to Calais en- route to Andalucia on 3 September.

Anyone`s guess as to whether  it will be cancelled.

At least you are showing resistance John to the pingdemic, lock down mask wearing madness 🎭

2 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

At least you are showing resistance John to the pingdemic, lock down mask wearing madness 🎭

Am currently in Berwick on Tweed enjoying the peace and quiet that can often be found in Northumberland Phil.

Some wear masks and some don`t but all show courtesy and respect.

Google the village of "Ford" and be surprised!

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Am currently in Berwick on Tweed enjoying the peace and quiet that can often be found in Northumberland Phil.

Some wear masks and some don`t but all show courtesy and respect.

Google the village of "Ford" and be surprised!

Wilco 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links