Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Idle when warm

Bondis

Hi guys, so last March/April I have cleaned the EGR and intake manifold. After doing so, the vehicle operated much better. One issue since:

After I drive and the engine gets fully warm, and i start the engine again when it is warm, the idle rises gradually to 1200rpm. The RPMs rise very gradually. When the RPMs are at 1200, if i just lightly press the throttle pedal, they fall back to 850rpm.

The AC is off during the high idle. Outside temps above 20⁰C.

I have re-cleaned the egr to make sure it is sealing properly, and it is.

Cleaned the MAF, reset the ECU. Seemed to help a little bit but the issue later came back.

Removed the coolant cap and left the engine to warm up. Don't know if there's a possibility of air being in the system still.

Any tips? 

Have you checked the throttle position sensor, does it move freely ( when the fault shows up try lifting the pedal up from behind and see if the idle speed drops indicating it is not returning up fully).

Also check for obstructions in the area like wiring which may have moved.

Check the plug and socket connections to the sensor.

C3891037-8BAF-4BD9-802E-2ECF7411A995.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:16 PM, Bondis said:

Hi guys, so last March/April I have cleaned the EGR and intake manifold. After doing so, the vehicle operated much better. One issue since:

After I drive and the engine gets fully warm, and i start the engine again when it is warm, the idle rises gradually to 1200rpm. The RPMs rise very gradually. When the RPMs are at 1200, if i just lightly press the throttle pedal, they fall back to 850rpm.

The AC is off during the high idle. Outside temps above 20⁰C.

I have re-cleaned the egr to make sure it is sealing properly, and it is.

Cleaned the MAF, reset the ECU. Seemed to help a little bit but the issue later came back.

Removed the coolant cap and left the engine to warm up. Don't know if there's a possibility of air being in the system still.

Any tips? 

LOL... the guy who said maintaining DERV IS220D isn't much more complex than petrol IS250 and who has EGR blanked off and DPF removed. Maybe start by looking at what your EGR does and where is your DPF? May explain some of the issues - surely there were sensors for both, which are "programmed-out" or blanked off. Don't you think tooling around sensors could have something to do with it? 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

LOL... the guy who said maintaining DERV IS220D isn't much more complex than petrol IS250 and who has EGR blanked off and DPF removed. Maybe start by looking at what your EGR does and where is your DPF? May explain some of the issues - surely there were sensors for both, which are "programmed-out" or blanked off. Don't you think tooling around sensors could have something to do with it? 

Last time I told you that you really need to find a hobby. Now I can confirm I was correct. Every engine has its complexity, and nowhere have I said that I have removed my EGR or DPF. I suggest you get a life. 

If you read my post you know that I have cleaned my EGR. But you're one of those leftist aye.. misunderstands everything, conclude things on their own, and critises others before they have their houses or rather their room in order. You don't even have your priorities straight. You want to take care of our climate (cookie for that) whilst you still drive a petrol vehicle... you don't even drive in ECO. Look at your gif! Driving in sport! Not very environmentally friendly!

So I'll tell you: sell all your cars, invest in renewable energy without taking any government grants (that money can be used to save the ozone layer) and give away the excess energy you generate for free. Demolish your house and plant trees instead (still can never plant more than I did in my lifetime). Stop buying clothes, and start walking barefoot. Dont eat out anymore. Dont use a PC or a phone as it's environmentally friendly. Don't go to a hospital, as their ORs operate by throwing anaesthetic gases into the atmosphere and your views are not inline.

Seriously. Seek help from a mental professional.

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Have you checked the throttle position sensor, does it move freely ( when the fault shows up try lifting the pedal up from behind and see if the idle speed drops indicating it is not returning up fully).

Also check for obstructions in the area like wiring which may have moved.

Check the plug and socket connections to the sensor.

C3891037-8BAF-4BD9-802E-2ECF7411A995.jpeg

Thank you for your valuable input. Throttle pedal can come up back to the top without any issues. Will check the TPS and update the thread.

Thanks again!

You don't need to be worried about my house order... Even suggestion about DPF removal moves your oppinion in category of irrelevance. 

In your previous post you have suggested that you will be looking at removing DPF and EGR and I quote because "those are the only issues with this car", thus it will be golden once done. Now whenever you have them removed or not, that is not my issue (I hope not), but if you did then there would be likely link between the issue you have.

In either case IS220d is piece of garbage engineering and I would not even park next to it just in case it somehow causes my car to fail. But hey... if it is fine for your, then I hope you will enjoy it, especially considering it was "not because of the money", but because of some mystical benefits you have purchased it.

And if you think IS220d does not require more maintenance than IS250, then feel free to find me the thread where somebody is complaining about IS250 idle ...

Thanks to those who gave valuable input. That is the purpose of the forum, to help one another... The Lexus community was never about hate or sending someone to a German forum.

I have successfully solved the issue.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, scudney said:

Hello Matthew for the benefit of others how did you successfully solve the issue 🤔

Since I had cleaned the manifold and throttle body, the latter had to be recalibrated. 

I also re-bled the radiator just in case there was some more air trapped. 

Cheers mate

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links