Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is the correct procedure for Gear Oil Change on a S19 GS300?

lapausa

Hi there,

My 09 GS300 has 110k miles / 180k km and the gearbox oil has never been changed. Not that I have any complaints, but better be on the safe side. The differential oil was changed some 31k miles ago.

As per the manual, the gearbox oil is to be replaced every 40k miles or so.

I am extremely wary, as I know there are three possible routines to get your oil changed, but only 1 is correct and 1 can end up really bad.

1. Drop the pan and top up whatever oil leaks out. With that method, you can change only about 25% of the oil at a time. 

2. Gearbox flush, AFAIK this is the worst possible scenario, since some dirt can spread out within the gearbox and you can have a total failure soon after.

3.A third method with a vacuum pump that pumps out the old oil, and fills up fresh one, which has been heated at the correct temperature. Now, I am wondering if that pumping out procedure is similar to the one described in the second method or they are completely different. I have been told this is the correct procedure.

As spare parts, I have been advised to look for nothing but genuine ATF WS oil. There is a 1L plastic bottle and a 4L metal dose meant for Japan. There are a few of these metal ones in Europe, but I have been warned these might have been manufactured / filled up long ago (4-5 years ago), so the oil is not exactly fresh. 

The spare parts number as the following:

1L 08886-81210 - only slightly more expensive, but if method 1 is applied, they definitely make more sense.

4L 08886-02305

As per this website, both these are the same and meet the requirements needed.

I will be happy to know more to be able to figure out if the mechanics would follow the correct procedure.

If your gearbox has a mesh type oil filter, normally fitted on Japanese market cars, it does not need to be replaced. If you have a paper oil filter, then it must be changed. When the transmission fluid is drained, only about half is drained.

Therefore you need to remove the sump. The procedure recommended in Toyota/Lexus repair manuals is to add about half a litre of transmission fluid more than the amout drained.

For no dipstick models, you must circulate the oil by manually selecting each gear of the transmission, remain for 5 seconds at each gear and go down and up the range twice.

Then you monitor the fluid temperature and you drain between 30C and 40C. Go for a test drive and check that you have no line pressure code. If you do have, then you must find the cause, normally the fluid must be circulated longer. There is a thermostat on the oil circuit from the sump to the oil cooler, it opens at the right temperature to cool the oil. It is of paramount importance to circulate the oil to the oil cooler, to establish the correct amount of oil and eliminate any air pockets.

If you have a dipstick, just fill up to the correct level according to the fluid's temperature.

Make sure you circulate the oil as outlined above. Recheck when at normal operating temperature.

There are many videos on Youtube about flushing and the adverse problems that may arise and how to change the transmission fluid.

Chris.