Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Showing our Sportcross some love - how to tell if the car has been lowered…

Today we got chatting to a fellow Sx owner in a local supermarket car park. The gentleman noticed that our Sx seemed noticeably lower at the back and asked if we had had it lowered. We measured it - it was at least a couple of inches different.

We were never told it was lowered when we bought it. However, I have only just realised after 12 years of ownership that it washes the headlights, so we didn’t exactly ask many questions at the time. 

I assume we can get this confirmed in a garage. Is there another reason why it might be lower? It was only serviced two months ago and nothing has changed, ie it has always looked this way and drives beautifully. 

If it has been lowered, do we need to tell our insurance company?

Thanks. 

Was his a IS200 or a IS300? I personally cannot think as to why the rear would be lowered, however if its sports model( I am assuming the 300 sportcross could possibly have the SE and Sport variant) in which case then the sport variant would be slightly lower than the SE(as is the case with the 200SE and Sport variant)

Both were IS300 Sportcross - his was 2002 and ours is a 2004.

I will give our garage a call to see if they know if it has been lowered. 

5 hours ago, scudney said:

Was his a IS200 or a IS300? I personally cannot think as to why the rear would be lowered, however if its sports model( I am assuming the 300 sportcross could possibly have the SE and Sport variant) in which case then the sport variant would be slightly lower than the SE(as is the case with the 200SE and Sport variant)

Ok,definitely a good idea,just can't figure out why it would have been lowered at the back except again it could have had the rear springs changed at some point 

Called the garage. Our springs have not been changed, so any change must have happened with the first owner. Will give the Lexus garage a call to see if they have anything on record. 

If it hasn't been changed during your ownership(the last 12 years), I would probably doubt if it was changed before that,but you never know lol,don't think its anything to overly worry about.However  for peace of mind its worth finding out 🙂

The mystery persists. Our garage will take a look at it when we take it for some new tyres. They said it is possibly due to it being different years but that seems unlikely to me. I think it is more likely to be wear and tear. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links