Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road test on 2021 RX450h, but don't like the infotainment system.

Today I had a six hour test drive in an almost new RX450h. I loved all of the changes and extra toys that have been added since I got my 2012 version. The only thing that I didn't get on with was the infotainment system controlled by that awful touch pad. I found that controlling anything on it via the touch pad was near impossible while driving and even when my wife was driving I tried again from the passenger seat. This was better, obviously, but still not good. I tried adjusting the sensitivity, to no avail. I realise that it is a touch screen, but feel that defeats the object of having a touch pad in the first place.

The main thing that made life difficult was the lack of mouse style controller as fitted to my 2012 RX.

I am in the lucky position to be able to consider buying a  next to new RX, but this has made me think that a 2019 one would be better because of this.

This has had a lot of bad reviews in the motoring press, but I wanted to make up my own mind, so to be objective, can any of you  tell me what I may have been doing wrong?

• Like 1

Hi Barry,

I quite like the touch pad (although probably do prefer the original remote touch joystick that you have in your 2012 RX).  I turn off the haptic feedback on the touch pad and leave other settings on default.  The touch screen is also fine to use if you dont get so annoyed by finger prints...

One thing you can do on the touch pad that you cannot do on the joystick is pinch to zoom... 

Paul

You are not the only one thinking the infotainment or whatever it is could be better. Like the mouse thing better? We have it in the CT, but using it in navigation or anything else is a pain.

Use the navigation in smartphone and listen to music from the absolutely great Mark Levinson audio, music also from smartphone, where we can play what we like to hear. Maybe someday Lexus can find out how to make it work. We are in the age of miracles.

As that is the only thing Lexus cannot find out how to make it is not really that bad. Most other cars have more mishaps built into them and few have the reliability Lexus has earned over the years.

1 hour ago, Barry7 said:

I am in the lucky position to be able to consider buying a  next to new RX, but this has made me think that a 2019 one would be better because of this.

Stick with the almost new one and get them to upgrade it to apple Carplay/Android Auto, which, I believe, is only available for the 2020 and newer RX (certainly can't get it in my 2018 RX).

You can then use voice commands for almost anything such as choosing and playing music, using the phone and, of course, you can use any map/nav that you want to, such as Google Maps, Waze, Sygic or whatever.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Barry7 said:

but this has made me think that a 2019 one would be better because of this.

I thought all current generation RX had the touchpad (but only the recently facelifted one has the touchscreen), is that not the case.

I have had the touchpad in previous and current NX (joystick in previous Lexus). It is definitely not the easiest to use, but you do get used to it after a while.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I have had the touchpad in previous and current NX (joystick in previous Lexus). It is definitely not the easiest to use, but you do get used to it after a while.

^^ Agree, I’ve had the touchpad for over three years now and you do get used to it. apple Car Play has changed the game though.

At least it’s easier than the terrible rotary controllers that other manufacturers seem obsessed with. Hate all of those. My preference would always be a touchscreen if I had a choice…

Hi

this was a big concern with me.  I have an XC90 which has had multiple niggles over the past 3 years or so.  It got to the point when I no longer trust the car.  This is a shame as I love the rest of it.  

I drove an RXL at a local dealer, not as fast or as big boot and the tech and dashboard was a little dated (cd player !) but liked the comfort and the reliability should be good. 

I deliberated for quite a while, the infotainment screen was poor quality and literally just out of reach when driving so would have to rely on the touchpad but in the end I took the decision and I hope I won’t be disappointed.  There were a few compromises to be sure but the reliability swung it for me.

cant wait to see a redesigned RX when that happens

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richolf said:

I drove an RXL at a local dealer, not as fast or as big boot and the tech and dashboard was a little dated (cd player !) but liked the comfort and the reliability should be good. 

The touch pad isn’t too bad when you get used to it however I tend to stick with CarPlay so I just ask Siri for everything I need.

The CD player (it’s actually a DVD player) is a very useful addition as many people still enjoy the sound from a CD plus you can watch a film - if you’re parked up.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 7:52 AM, Habu said:

The touch pad isn’t too bad when you get used to it however I tend to stick with CarPlay so I just ask Siri for everything I need.

The CD player (it’s actually a DVD player) is a very useful addition as many people still enjoy the sound from a CD plus you can watch a film - if you’re parked up.

The one thing I missed when changing from the Gen3 to Gen4 was the 6 disc CD player that the Gen3 had.

I had to copy a number of CD's to a USB stick and keep that connected in the centre Box.

The only thing I need or want from my phone when driving is the ability to talk if called.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flookyk said:

The one thing I missed when changing from the Gen3 to Gen4 was the 6 disc CD player that the Gen3 had.

I had to copy a number of CD's to a USB stick and keep that connected in the centre Box.

The only thing I need or want from my phone when driving is the ability to talk if called.

My previous 2015 Honda CR-V had a hard drive fitted as standard. It automatically copied every CD you played, and stored them by album showing the artwork and track names (albeit not with some older CDs). You could then create your own playlists with it, or ask it just to shuffle play everything stored. I always felt it was a great option, as it meant I could use and enjoy my huge CD collection, including CD singles with rare and live tracks often not available on Spotify. 

When I traded the car for my NX there were over 2,000 tracks stored. Hopefully somebody enjoyed the eclectic nature of that little lot!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flookyk said:

That's interesting, I was aware that some of the earlier RX's had a 6 disc player but thought they discontinued it for the 3rd Generation and my 3rd Generation only has a single disc player.  Actually, I would prefer the 6 disc one as I am old school.  I have a spare 6 disc holder from a BMW I broke but doubt this could be integrated into the Lexus system.

1 hour ago, Barry14UK said:

and my 3rd Generation only has a single disc player.

I think you may find that if you keep feeding discs into the slot, it will take six of them.

2021-07-24.thumb.png.f4e8b01ea308b50e2750f476cbee5205.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

That's interesting, I was aware that some of the earlier RX's had a 6 disc player but thought they discontinued it for the 3rd Generation and my 3rd Generation only has a single disc player.  Actually, I would prefer the 6 disc one as I am old school.  I have a spare 6 disc holder from a BMW I broke but doubt this could be integrated into the Lexus system.

Mine was a 2011 SE-i

You just kept feeding them into the CD slot until it had taken 6 in.

• Like 1

Well thanks guys, always something to learn with a Lexus and particularly obliged for instructions.  I seemed to recall that I read somewhere that the 6 disc holder was under a seat but I must have been thinking of a different car/model.

• Like 1