Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazing longevity

I've had my RX for 6 years now and have done 60,000 miles in it.  It's done 85000 miles on a 2012 plate and had it's 100,000 mile, 10 year service today.  I had four services over three years at one point due to the 10,000 coming up early!  Nothing extra needed doing but what surprised me was that the front pads and discs are still original and have 5mm left on the pads, so I've only used 50% of the material and the discs are fine.  The rears are all original too and have 6mm so I've only used 25%.  I'm on my second set of Cross Climates (which I bought when the original Dunlops needed replacing), the front Cross Climates did almost 40,000 and the rears (which went on the front for a year) did 50,000 or thereabouts.  Apart from the tyres and wiper blades that's it.    I got hit in the snow earlier this year and had a plug in hybrid Range Rover Sport as my loan car; couldn't wait to get the RX back it's a totally different experience, refined and effortless.  Best car I've owned by far.  

If anybody is thinking of an RX don't think, do it!  You won't regret it.  The only downside is there's so little to talk about with the RX in a forum:-)

Having heaped praise on my car I'm wondering about changing to a Series 4; any comments gratefully received.

• Like 4

I remember way back when I first took the plunge in to Lexus Hybrids, I had the opportunity at the dealership to chat with the Master Tech when he was outlining the benefits of ownership. I specifically remember him telling me that disks and pads last much longer than a conventional vehicle, in fact he quoted 100,000 plus miles. Although I have never had the opportunity to personally achieve this it certainly looks like your working your way to this mileage and beyond... 

• Like 1

I'm looking to keep my 2014 RX long-term, good to hear from someone a bit further down the line with theirs how happy they are with it.

There aren't that many other RXs around here, but any I do see (including the previous-gen model) usually look to be smart and well cared-for. Saw local celebrity Rick Wakeman out in his 2005 RX the other day!

I bet the 4th gen RX is lovely, so much so that I don't want to try one if that makes sense?......

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Glover said:

I've had my RX for 6 years now and have done 60,000 miles in it.  It's done 85000 miles on a 2012 plate and had it's 100,000 mile, 10 year service today.  I had four services over three years at one point due to the 10,000 coming up early!  Nothing extra needed doing but what surprised me was that the front pads and discs are still original and have 5mm left on the pads, so I've only used 50% of the material and the discs are fine.  The rears are all original too and have 6mm so I've only used 25%.  I'm on my second set of Cross Climates (which I bought when the original Dunlops needed replacing), the front Cross Climates did almost 40,000 and the rears (which went on the front for a year) did 50,000 or thereabouts.  Apart from the tyres and wiper blades that's it.    I got hit in the snow earlier this year and had a plug in hybrid Range Rover Sport as my loan car; couldn't wait to get the RX back it's a totally different experience, refined and effortless.  Best car I've owned by far.  

If anybody is thinking of an RX don't think, do it!  You won't regret it.  The only downside is there's so little to talk about with the RX in a forum:-)

Having heaped praise on my car I'm wondering about changing to a Series 4; any comments gratefully received.

You need to look at the new NX interior design to see how RX may transition in the very near future which may affect second user values unless of course you can stump up 50k for a new one? Either way should you wish for an environment that cocoons you from the nasty old world out there the RX is the only way to go 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

You need to look at the new NX interior design to see how RX may transition in the very near future which may affect second user values unless of course you can stump up 50k for a new one? Either way should you wish for an environment that cocoons you from the nasty old world out there the RX is the only way to go 

I just hope that with the weather continuing to become more unreliable, maybe Lexus are already working on a completely buoyant model?

Probably shouldn't say this as it might be tempting fate

My Rx400h was first registered in 2007---some thirteen and a half years ago. I know from this site that loads of people seem to have problems with their 12 volt batteries but mine is still on its original 12 volt Battery and I have never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Illogan said:

I just hope that with the weather continuing to become more unreliable, maybe Lexus are already working on a completely buoyant model?

Actually Dave, weather isn't getting more unreliable as people imagine as a consequence of fake news and pseudo science. Look up the GWPF for more reliable data 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Actually Dave, weather isn't getting more unreliable as people imagine as a consequence of fake news and pseudo science. Look up the GWPF for more reliable data 

And Paul Homewood at https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/

3 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Thanks Alan305 the world needs more people like you and less propaganda, 👍

Here is content from his site, commenting on the BBC blaming the terrible floods in China on climate change.

BBC quote

Zhengzhou saw 624mm of rainfall on Tuesday, with a third of that amount falling between 16:00 and 17:00 alone, which "smashed historical records".

Facts based on data from the Dutch Met Office KNMI

... 624mm in a day is nowhere near a record. Typhoon Nina dumped 1631mm over the area in a single day in 1975. Over Zhenzhou itself, 804mm fell in a day. However, three years later, on July 2nd, an amazing 1894mm of rain fell there.

Rain appears to have actually reduced

image.thumb.png.b5426bfd7b1f4806439c1e8b4e037f04.png

• Thanks 1

It's amazing how posts on this forum always seem to morph into something else:-)  I didn't realise I would be starting a discussion on rainfall in China and climate change.  That's one of the pros and cons of Lexus ownership; we are (and I don't want to tempt fate here either) the owners of reliable vehicles and there's a limit to how much you can talk about nothing going or very little going wrong, whereas some forums for other marques have pages and pages of chats about dealing with problems; otherwise referred to as 'they all do that'.  I'll have a look at the NX when I go to a dealer event tomorrow (only out of curiosity at this stage!) and I hope my Battery lasts as long as yours Ray.

Is 'I spotted Rick Wakeman in his 2004 RX' a first for the forum?  Maybe time to launch a celebrity spotted driving a Lexus page!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glover said:

It's amazing how posts on this forum always seem to morph into something else:-)  I didn't realise I would be starting a discussion on rainfall in China and climate change.  That's one of the pros and cons of Lexus ownership; we are (and I don't want to tempt fate here either) the owners of reliable vehicles and there's a limit to how much you can talk about nothing going or very little going wrong, whereas some forums for other marques have pages and pages of chats about dealing with problems; otherwise referred to as 'they all do that'.  I'll have a look at the NX when I go to a dealer event tomorrow (only out of curiosity at this stage!) and I hope my battery lasts as long as yours Ray.

Is 'I spotted Rick Wakeman in his 2004 RX' a first for the forum?  Maybe time to launch a celebrity spotted driving a Lexus page!

But Geoff, you started off by saying how marvellous the 450 is 😅 which then LED onto the future of the design possibilities and the great unknown just like the weather. In the Jaguar club you are known as an Oily rag or a Polisher and in the Lexus club I suspect most are the latter because as you say, what's to go wrong "? So what's to chat about? Well anything and everything, bit like being down the pub, and when asked," what did you chat about " answer is haven't the foggiest 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

True Phil.  I suppose the forum is our virtual pub, just need some real beer whilst we're looking through posts:-)  Went to an event at Lexus Nottingham today and looked at a 2015 Series 3 Advance.  25,00 miles or thereabouts, pan roof, ML sound, ventilated seats, VGC.  The input device was different without the switch on the side and that was the one thing I thought wasn't an improvement.  Also had a test drive in a 2017 Series 4 luxury.  The switch on the side of the input device was back!  It was nice but I think I'd need a longer test drive as I'm not sure that there's enough of a difference to justify changing old faithful yet.  But it was useful to scratch the itch!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glover said:

True Phil.  I suppose the forum is our virtual pub, just need some real beer whilst we're looking through posts:-)  Went to an event at Lexus Nottingham today and looked at a 2015 Series 3 Advance.  25,00 miles or thereabouts, pan roof, ML sound, ventilated seats, VGC.  The input device was different without the switch on the side and that was the one thing I thought wasn't an improvement.  Also had a test drive in a 2017 Series 4 luxury.  The switch on the side of the input device was back!  It was nice but I think I'd need a longer test drive as I'm not sure that there's enough of a difference to justify changing old faithful yet.  But it was useful to scratch the itch!

Well Geoff, so pleased that you agree, I have been saying hello to a few sherbets this evening and what a joy it continues to be, bit like my RX and XKR to be honest. Ostensibly there should be no connection between the pub and the car but there is. Both we use now and again, both are warm and inviting, both cost a packet if used regularly, both get us into trouble if we're not careful and both remind us happiness is got from what you have and not what you want. 😐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well Geoff, so pleased that you agree, I have been saying hello to a few sherbets this evening and what a joy it continues to be, bit like my RX and XKR to be honest. Ostensibly there should be no connection between the pub and the car but there is. Both we use now and again, both are warm and inviting, both cost a packet if used regularly, both get us into trouble if we're not careful and both remind us happiness is got from what you have and not what you want. 😐

I'll drink to those sentiments!