Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why does my Lexus attract flies?!

This may sound a bit strange and not entirely related to my Lex, but I would like to gather some thoughts as is frustrating.. 

I drive a silver Lexus IS250 (06 plate) and it seems that flies love my car way too much.. I don't mean just one but at least five to six.

There are three other cars around me that are silver colour but flies just don't go on their cars for some reasons..  

The car is parked in the underground car park and the dumpster is a little far to my parking slot so in my opinion the smell ain't an issue.

Please can anyone advise/ share similar experience?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vinvinchan2003 said:

i've not waxed my car so far since i took over.. 

Although i go to car wash regularly to keep it clean n tidy. Is it because of the soap smell? 

Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana 🤣

• Haha 2

On Wednesday as I was off I washed my car and then used Williams waterless wash as a wax (yes it has carnauba wax in it) on the Thursday after I finished work and went to my black is250 by jeez the roof and bonnet and rear bonnet were covered in kamikaze greenfly. Must have been near a thousand. 

Just that one time only. Ok my car is always parked outdoors and with this super hot weather I wonder if its that making the cars finish too much for flies. That is the waxes in high heat produce a smell that only those flies can smell. In my one and only case tho the flies on my car were all dead as they must have got stuck to my car and perished in the strong sunlight. 

All manner of insects - but mainly flies - are attracted to my car after shampooing, and they appear to be even more numerous after the subsequent application of a quick detailer.  I have been using gTechniq shampoo and Bouncer’s q.d. recently but I mention this only for the record since I saw the same with other brands.   I always wash the car with plain water between shampoos and there is no doubt that the attraction to insects diminishes as the perfuming effect wears off.  The logical conclusion is that flies are a sign of a clean car.

Sadly, scientifically, you have not look carefully at all the variables!

It is obvious why flies are attracted to your silver cars. I have a silver car - no flies??? Can you work out why?

Clue: Geography

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Sadly, scientifically, you have not look carefully at all the variables!

It is obvious why flies are attracted to your silver cars. I have a silver car - no flies??? Can you work out why?

Clue: Geography

Where does geography come in to it when my Silver car is covered in flies, and my wife's White car isn't. Parked together and both washed and treated with the same products?

9 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Where does geography come in to it when my Silver car is covered in flies, and my wife's White car isn't. Parked together and both washed and treated with the same products?

Nothing to do with geography has more to do with the Lone Ranger. As my old Physics teacher once said, "the closest thing to silver is the Lone Rangers rectum" Ergo the flies think there clearly must be horse s**t around here somewhere 🐴🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

Sadly (again!) it is all down to geography and species of flies. Look at where all the peeps are having this problem?

The flies here in the south are not attracted to silver cars.

It is only you northern monkeys (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) that are having this problem. As Phil suggests, it may have something to do with s**t!

Here in the south the flies behave themselves!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Sadly (again!) it is all down to geography and species of flies. Look at where all the peeps are having this problem?

The flies here in the south are not attracted to silver cars.

It is only you northern monkeys (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) that are having this problem. As Phil suggests, it may have something to do with s**t!

Here in the south the flies behave themselves!

Here in the sort of Midlands then we demonstrate Schrodingers Cat like principles that is to say we have them or we don't 🤔😻🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd revisit this old thread with fresh photographic proof of the liking of flies for silver - in my case Sonic Titanium - paintwork.  I took the attached photos this morning at 0700 CET.  Most of the flies had already flown off upon my approach, so I'm guessing that the remaining ones could, like me, have been groggy from the loss of an hour's sleep.

I should add in the interests of science that my car hasn't been waxed since November and not shampooed for ten days, so carnauba-based flavours and candy aromas are clearly not the attraction.  There is, however, a bit of early Spring pollen about and it is therefore possible that the flies were partaking of some for breakfast before being rudely disturbed.

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Well, having just joined the Lexus car owning club with my Lexus IS250 F Sport I must say that if I was a fly and I was going to commit suicide, I'd want to do it on a quality motor like a Lexus!