Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member / Owner: RX400h Locking Wheel Nut

regularguy

Hi Everyone,

Just joined the LOC as I've just purchased my first Lexus.

I did not expect to have to call for help so soon but I am in need of a locking wheel nut of type GBNGA-EV907-B, just the nut, not the key. Car driven less than 50 miles following MOT and discovered locking wheel nut missing! If push comes to shove, then I will buy a complete set but I'm hoping that you knowledgeable people will know if individual locking wheel nuts are available.

Thanks for your assistance, Dave.

Hi David and welcome to the LOC.

Car should have failed MOT with a missing wheel nut and unless you had other work carried out at the same time there is no reason to remove the wheel.

Probably going to be Lexus dealer for just the one but this will probably cost you as much as a complete set, you often see them on fleabay new and used.

I don't believe one is available on its own. You can get the replacement key part, which is the bit that more commonly goes missing, but it actually the same price, if not more than a new complete set.

I believe the current code for a new set is PW456-00002 but many list PW456-00000 as also correct. In which case the cheapest I can find is:

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-corolla/corolla-mk12-2019-present/accessories-corolla-mk12-2019-present/toyota-corolla-2019-present-wheel-lock-nut-set/

If you manage to get another nut, make sure it weighs the same to the nearest gram as any other nut, otherwise wherever you use it  it will cause that wheel to be out of balance. This will further cause premature bearing failure of the wheel bearing and possible vibration on the steering wheel, if fitted to the front wheels, depending on the out of balance weight.

Chris.

Thanks everyone for your help. I shall be contacting the garage tomorrow.

I've just checked the weight of the remaining lock nuts vs the standard wheel nuts: 102g vs 85g! Oh dear!

Dave.

Lock Nut vs Std Nut.JPG

Update.

I've now bought and fitted a set of PW456-00000. They are, as stated by ColinBarber, listed as the replacement for the GBNGA-EV907-B. They are smaller than the normal nut would you believe and weigh in at 77g so there will be an improvement in balance. Removing the original locking wheel nuts, I found that they were nowhere near as tight as the normal nuts - not loose, but far easier to remove.

Thanks again for your assistance and advice - much appreciated.

Dave.

14 hours ago, regularguy said:

Update.

I've now bought and fitted a set of PW456-00000. They are, as stated by ColinBarber, listed as the replacement for the GBNGA-EV907-B. They are smaller than the normal nut would you believe and weigh in at 77g so there will be an improvement in balance. Removing the original locking wheel nuts, I found that they were nowhere near as tight as the normal nuts - not loose, but far easier to remove.

Thanks again for your assistance and advice - much appreciated.

Dave.

Wheel nut torque is normally 76lb/ft for Lexus wheels, the handbook will confirm this figure.

15 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

All wheels will still be out of balance. All nuts on each wheel must weigh the same. 

Chris.

Well that will be every single Lexus supplied in the UK as they all come with locking wheel nuts, the they don't weigh the same as the standard ones.

10 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Wheel nut torque is normally 76lb/ft for Lexus wheels, the handbook will confirm this figure.

Yes, I tighten my wheel nuts to 76lb/ft as per handbook.  The locking ones I just do tight and firm as I'm not sure the key would cope with 76lb/ft.

The difference in weight of the wheel nuts will be of negligible consequence as they are very close to the centre of the wheel.  If they were located at the perimeter of the wheel the imbalance would be more noticable.

13 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Yes, I tighten my wheel nuts to 76lb/ft as per handbook.  The locking ones I just do tight and firm as I'm not sure the key would cope with 76lb/ft.

Never had an issue tightening a locking wheel nut to the correct torque on any of my Toyota/Lexus vehicles. 103 Nm isn't that bad. It's when a tyre fitting company with inaccurate wrenches puts it > 130 Nm that you can have a problem.