Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What the F do you want ?

So, we know the is500 isn't dropping here. 

But what motor do you lot want to see drop as a performance machine ? 

There's some sexy looking rumours about the hydrogen fuel cell machines dropping into the lexus range soon replacing the missed GS brand, and also the LF range is being rumoured. 

Personally I'd love to see a "LC-F" as the final hooooyaaaa for a big hitting petrol engine. As I am getting more and more tempted by the LC as a whole 🤐😅

LC is indeed tempting car... probably even good investment.

Regarding hydrogen... I really doubt we see any IS/GS car returning and using hydrogen. I think the most likely hydrogen Lexus would be LS (because it is based on the same platform as Mirai mk2). LC is based on same platform as well, but I doubt Lexus going to release GT coupe with 7.5s 0-60... for LS it is less of an issue. Perhaps we will see some crossover monster thing with hydrogen cell, but I would not be interested in that either.

For me. Any on this list

IS-F Estate (theoretical)

LC-F

LS-F

GS-F (If GS is revived)

But rather than using a hydrogen fuel cell. Run the ICE (internal combustion engine) on hydrogen. Toyota tested this recently at an endurance race using a corolla with a modified GR Yaris lump. More recently, Lord Bamford envisions this as the way forward for heavy equipment. Least this way we can keep the noise alive rather than cars sounding like the Jetson's and save emissions at the same time. But I'm biased towards cars that make a decent noise. 

• Like 1

Would it be too much to ask for Lexus equivalent of the old toyota supra... Twin turbo, at least 3.5l, affordable (relatively!) with ageless looks...and definitely not made in conjunction with anybody else! 

2 hours ago, RustyB said:

Would it be too much to ask for Lexus equivalent of the old toyota supra... Twin turbo, at least 3.5l, affordable (relatively!) with ageless looks...and definitely not made in conjunction with anybody else! 

Ooooo like an R35 KILLER.

I must admit I'm not tempted by any of the current range of cars available from Lexus. I nearly placed an order for the new Corvette C8 as it's going to be available in right hand drive form, and it has a lovely N/A V8 but my local dealer is quoting 2023/4 for cars. The new Lotus Emira is going to be a real game changer for Lotus and I'm very tempted by that as I've had a Lotus on and off since 1973.

Problem with them both is I never ever buy the first model produced by any manufacturer as I don't want to be a guinea pig.

Answer for me is keep the RCF until both of these cars have been around a while and any issues sorted, then buy one. I hate to say it but I don't think Lexus are going to come up with anything exciting. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

With the almost inevitable death of the V8 I'm not sure what I could possibly want after my ISF. Nothing out there takes my fancy and the new styling of Lexus vehicles doesn't float my boat either. 

Time will tell and for the time being I'll be driving what I have until I cannot afford to anymore.

If I could dream up a vehicle I would love Lexus to do something audacious and release an SUV akin to the Track Hawk. A mental supercharged V8 would make me change my mind lol.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, 4969_LXS said:

But rather than using a hydrogen fuel cell. Run the ICE (internal combustion engine) on hydrogen. Toyota tested this recently at an endurance race using a corolla with a modified GR Yaris lump. More recently, Lord Bamford envisions this as the way forward for heavy equipment. Least this way we can keep the noise alive rather than cars sounding like the Jetson's and save emissions at the same time. But I'm biased towards cars that make a decent noise. 

Did you watch Engineering Explained's video about this? It brought up some pretty stark points about why hydrogen ICEs are unlikely to be a thing, at least in cars. The main points from memory were the energy density of the fuel and the size and weight of the tanks, which have to be strong enough to contain hydrogen at extreme pressure. On top of that I think there were challenges getting combustion to work well.

Electric seems more viable to me. What we really need is some "exciting" electric cars. I keep wondering what an electric driver's car might look like. Porsche Taycan is supposed to be pretty great to drive, though it's extremely heavy.

Nothing will quite replace our V8s...

17 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Did you watch Engineering Explained's video about this? It brought up some pretty stark points about why hydrogen ICEs are unlikely to be a thing, at least in cars. The main points from memory were the energy density of the fuel and the size and weight of the tanks, which have to be strong enough to contain hydrogen at extreme pressure. On top of that I think there were challenges getting combustion to work well.

Electric seems more viable to me. What we really need is some "exciting" electric cars. I keep wondering what an electric driver's car might look like. Porsche Taycan is supposed to be pretty great to drive, though it's extremely heavy.

Totally agree nothing like a V8. Many of my friends run Tesla's as well as other cars. I've driven their cars a few times, yes they are quick, faster than my V12 twin turbo V12 but every time I finish driving I do have to proclaim that it's 'dead ****' and don't really want to drive it again, no engagement apart from regenerative braking of which the novelty will wear off very quickly. I'll stick to that lovely noise for as long as I can.

2 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

@Rob RCF I've seen a couple, hydrogen gas is more energy dense than petroleum, about 1kg of hydrogen gas, has the same energy density as 2.2kg of Petroleum. If you cool hydrogen to a liquid and store it in that state, it's even more energy dense due to it being a liquid rather than a gas.

Like you've mentioned it's more the safe containment of the fuel that's the main engineering challenge, the first gen Mirai stores it's hydrogen in tanks at 70MPa or 10000PSI

There's no getting around it, an electric drivetrain is more efficient.

But IMO they're boring and for consumers who want a vehicle to get from A to B. The buzz you get from the fast acceleration soon wears off.

But for the sake of an engaging F car. I'd still use a combustion engine, everyone seems to be in the power and number race/competition. When in reality, the cars that are most enjoyable to drive have a character and create theatre, they require work to go fast, they make the occasion. Like blasting through a tunnel and amazing sounding downshifts like our current F cars do.

I agree with what Chris Harris said. If the majority of people who genuinely aren't interested/passionate in cars go electric, we can keep our ICE's and enjoy them, even if it's just for that little bit longer.

In terms of exciting electric car, I really enjoy the electric go karts at tight and twisty indoor tracks. So using that principal, a lightweight car that can charge really quickly, circa 100 mile range max, little to no power steering. Electric drivetrain is all about acceleration not top speed. Think this will shine through when the rallycross cars go electric.

Agreed with yourself and @B1RMA, nothing will replace our N/A V8's. Although maybe the LFA V10. Or the V12's In the Valkyrie and GMA T.50. Nothing with 8 or less cylinders anyway 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

48 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Loving the black windows across all of them

They would be illegal here so even if we got the IS500 it wouldn't look like that.

I just find the new IS to be too outdated - the interior hasn't changed in 8 years.

37 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

They would be illegal here so even if we got the IS500 it wouldn't look like that.

I just find the new IS to be too outdated - the interior hasn't changed in 8 years.

Noooo, my bad. I mead the chrome around the windows has been made black as stock. I don't mean 360 limo tints. Entirely my fault for the confusion. 

And yes I agree I read an article the other day about lexus UK planning 10 new vehicles coming soon 6 of which are hybrid or electric engines.  So I'd guess a couple of petrol and a couple of hydrogen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 5:44 PM, Las Palmas said:

Something like this you want:

billede.thumb.png.fd0b8785fb9eee6eccd49adae0b688b1.png

Looks expensive.

or this:

https://www.diariomotor.com/tecmovia/2012/01/04/lexus-lf-lc-el-coupe-hibrido-que-nos-introduce-en-el-futuro-diseno-de-la-marca/

billede.thumb.png.605c84f9cef0de10bf1a1afea0f3a255.png

billede.thumb.png.770d4b4afb2489564585a3866dbf8f49.png

Latest hybrid.

Above the paygrade for most of us.

Or in my case above my pension grade 😀