Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I finally found myself a half decent 2005 GS300 in Silver with cream leather interior.

Not my first choice of colour combo, but ones with 'real' full service history are few and far between.

It also has some 17 inch IS250 alloys on it, which I'm not keen on and they look too small. More because of the style, rather than the 17 inch size.

I need to a few jobs on it, specifically:

• MOT before mid-September
  • Get a service done on the car
  • Buy a new set of alloys with some quality tyres - most likely Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5's, if that's the latest (Technically, this step is done as I bought some Baransu/G Spider alloys on eBay today)
  • Fit the new boot struts (on order)
  • New wipers (not urgent)
  • General clean up

I just went out for a quick drive in it an hour ago and I can't get over how spacious and comfortable it is. It really feels like a much larger version of my IS250. Also, it's pretty quick when needed but economical when driven gently. Managed to get 43 mpg last night over a 25 mile motorway run after filling up!

I was shocked as I was driving earlier and my side mirrors dimmed! I didn't even know that was an option on this model, I've only seen it on the old 7 Series (the Bangle designed one).

Pics to follow soon...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

Hi Chan! Welcome to LOC!

Yes, we do want to see the photos of the car, we want to see it with old alloys and with the new ones too!

Good Luck!

Vlad

Thanks! I've actually been a member for a while, just on and off the forum that's all. 

This is Lexus number 3 for me, but always short spells. Hopefully, I'll keep this one for a while. 

• Like 1

My GS300 was silver with cream, I really liked the combo. I also found the MPG really good, especially as it is a fairly big car. Looking forward to the photos!

• Like 1

Looking good! I still think it stands up today with modern styling, if not better. Just don't park it next to a silver Jag, looking from the side you'll wonder which one is yours!

• Like 1

I was going to buy one of these but then changed my mind and went for an rx300. I like the 4 wheel drive and seating position. 

16 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Looking good! I still think it stands up today with modern styling, if not better. Just don't park it next to a silver Jag, looking from the side you'll wonder which one is yours!

Yeah, it's a nice looking car. I wouldn't say handsome, perhaps regal. I hear you about the side profile haha

16 hours ago, b4u2 said:

I was going to buy one of these but then changed my mind and went for an rx300. I like the 4 wheel drive and seating position. 

I was looking at those, but I'm not so keen on the interior of them. Also, my wife's nan has one so I can't be the one driving the same car as the family grandma 🤣

11 hours ago, Initial P said:

Great cars had one for about 3 years before going GS4.

Nice, did you have a GS300?

4 hours ago, mercbon said:

Nice car. There are restoration kits that you can use on the headlights.

I did actually do a bit last night, made a small difference:

Before:

PanC-c3A-2RmWuBier2-xiTfabc71lAEWdJm0d_2

After (the yellowish tint is from the sun!):

xQk2i6ULf7sSG6xWYDZN6lf1aideP7lb7DUuUchv

2 hours ago, Initial P said:

Or toothpaste 😆

I've heard about this, but I don't want to be the loon in my street outside with a tube of toothpaste rubbing it into my car.

Next thing you know, I'll be licking windows.

There's  a cheap one going at Southend on Sea. 

Will stick with the nightmare Mk2 I bought. Ordered new Tyres, new downstream Bank one Denso 02 sensor and a guy coming at the weekend to give the thumbs down on the non existant Air con.  Daresay I could check the Compressor by detaching the plug and establsihing which pin has power and then putting a 12v to the unit to see if it engages? Won't with no coolent in the system.    Leave it to the Bod I hear you say.  Second Mortgage applied for.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154548211962?hash=item23fbca90fa:g:JvAAAOSwfblhAX6x

20 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

There's  a cheap one going at Southend on Sea. 

Will stick with the nightmare Mk2 I bought. Ordered new Tyres, new downstream Bank one Denso 02 sensor and a guy coming at the weekend to give the thumbs down on the non existant Air con.  Daresay I could check the Compressor by detaching the plug and establsihing which pin has power and then putting a 12v to the unit to see if it engages? Won't with no coolent in the system.    Leave it to the Bod I hear you say.  Second Mortgage applied for.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154548211962?hash=item23fbca90fa:g:JvAAAOSwfblhAX6x

Did you mean to post to this thread? 

I didn't quite understand your post.

Initially I was referring to a similar car as the one you have purchased, up for sale as per link, should anyone be interested in that model.

Before writing the link I waxed lyrical about the issues I have with my Mk 2 GS300 which is why I suppose I was scanning Cars for sale and spotted the Mk 3 version. 

The Mk 3 is a nice looking Car. 

I bought during lockdown and regret the only cheapy Lexus that came up locally was the one I purchased and didn't really give it sufficient scrutiny. I'm knocking it into shape at some expense.  Didn't meant to spoil your thread.  That's amazing mpg by the way.  The 3L Mk 2 does less than 30 mpg.  Is your Car a straight six or a V6?  Significant difference.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Initially I was referring to a similar car as the one you have purchased, up for sale as per link, should anyone be interested in that model.

Before writing the link I waxed lyrical about the issues I have with my Mk 2 GS300 which is why I suppose I was scanning Cars for sale and spotted the Mk 3 version. 

The Mk 3 is a nice looking Car. 

I bought during lockdown and regret the only cheapy Lexus that came up locally was the one I purchased and didn't really give it sufficient scrutiny. I'm knocking it into shape at some expense.  Didn't meant to spoil your thread.  That's amazing mpg by the way.  The 3L Mk 2 does less than 30 mpg.  Is your Car a straight six or a V6?  Significant difference.    

Ah with you now. 

It seemed off topic, so threw me! 

I looked at many cheap and expensive ones, Mk2 & Mk2 GS300's / GS430's, I even looked at a Mk4 GS250 (lovely, but expensive for me). I would was really after a GS430 and wouldn't rule out if I saw another and sold this. I need a V8 before they vanish into 'clean and non polluted thin air' 🤣

Yeah, very nice on a run. That is driving very sedately and carefully, but hovering between 60-70mph I can't knock it. Definitely better than our 2.4 Accord, but not fair to compare to a 4 cylinder.

The Mk3 to my knowledge is a V6 with a cam chain and I believe the Mk2 is straight 6 with a cambelt. Both of those facts steered me away from a Mk2, even though I've heard they are better built and have a large boot (a key requirement for me).

Mine drives well for it's age and I really like the V6.

Although, I'm starting to build up a lengthy snag list on mine! Nothing too major, but lots of little niggles (boot and bonnet struts, light bulbs, parking brake etc etc).

I miss my LS400 v8 however I do find this GS300 packs acceleration. (Can be modded to 1000HP I read, not that I'm into that.

The interesting thing I also read from Member Colin recently, is that the GS300 altough Cam belt has a non-interference engine. I'd booked the cambelt, water pump etc, change for next week, but after looking at the Cam belt on it and seeing it is a Toyota Belt, I have postponed the change as the Belt in the Kit I bought from Rock Auto I was not too happy about and have just ordered a genuine Toyota Belt via a US seller.  The Belt was last changed at 68k back in 2007 and now has 131243 miles. There is a little oil seal leakage seen on the Sprocket but think it can wait perhaps until after we can get to France and back - whenever that may be? 

02 Sensor has just failed and VSC two lights have come back on after I cleared them.  Will sort next week. Downstrem one will be  pig of a job so not doing it myself.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

is that the GS300 altough Cam belt has a non-interference engine.

The inline 6 3.0 2JZ-FE engine is interference if it has VVT. On the GS that is the series II (1998-2004).

Quote "  nearly all toyota engines that use a belt rather than a chain are non-interference, including the 4.0 and 4.3 V8sI" Unquote 

Fear I have been referring to this 2004 thread Colin and a comment you made.  Thanks for the correction.

The GS300 year 2000 is a VVTi engine so I may get the belt done before a long trip,  but there is mention of 100k mile change in this old thread. 

Yeah, it was true for Toyota engines before the introduction of VVT, and true for the OP of that thread as they had a series I GS.

The problem is that Toyota aren't explicit whether the engine is interference, whereas in the past they have been explicit for non-interference, and depending on the VVT positioning the engine could be non-interference but you would have to be lucky.

For the specific engine you have, the GS300 repair manual (for year 2000) has this warning on the timing belt removal procedure so it is an interference design:

image.thumb.png.0e5331ad2dd8410cd30ea3235c4d00bb.png