Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought my GS 450H in March 2020 and took out an extended warranty prior to its 10th Anniversary I’d first registration.

I've now been to my local Lexus dealer a number of times and each time there is an issue and meantime the two year warranty trundles on...

I reported the dreaded noise from the dash three times and only last month did they finally agree there was an issue and agree to carry out work under warranty.

Its been back twice now as I found after the repair the DAB radio stopped working, noises too now from centre console, hidden buttons tray wouldn’t open each time and the steering wheel screeched periodically when turning.

Got the card back the second time to find find DAB radio now reconnected and working BUT centre of dash damaged...

I’ve reported the damage and they took a photo and now plan to carry out a smart repair to the damaged area. 

I’8BA291C2-7727-4814-9048-91184C7B904D.thumb.jpeg.5c19fe074204f0def0e26a5a800e75a4.jpegm not really happy about this and would ideally like them to replace the whole dash.

Am I being unreasonable? I’d appreciate some feedback.

IF the smart repair looks as good as new, I'd be happy...

Best to give them the opportunity first?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PCM said:

IF the smart repair looks as good as new, I'd be happy...

Best to give them the opportunity first?

I agree.

Shock absorbers should be replaced in pairs but if one is replaced under warranty you don't automatically get the other one too.

That damage doesn't look good but I'm sure they won't replace the whole dash for something that small.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, The car is going in later this week. 

I’ll give them the opportunity to carry out this smart repair and hope it doesn’t deteriorate overtime.

Fingers crossed.

My local Lexus dealer has been a really disappointment given their lack of good service and chasing up promised calls.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Aussiestayover said:

Hi, The car is going in later this week. 

I’ll give them the opportunity to carry out this smart repair and hope it doesn’t deteriorate overtime.

Fingers crossed.

My local Lexus dealer has been a really disappointment given their lack of good service and chasing up promised calls.

One could email Lexus.co.uk and inform it of your disappointment with one of its Dealerships?

On 7/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, Aussiestayover said:

Bought my GS 450H in March 2020 and took out an extended warranty prior to its 10th Anniversary I’d first registration.

I've now been to my local Lexus dealer a number of times and each time there is an issue and meantime the two year warranty trundles on...

I reported the dreaded noise from the dash three times and only last month did they finally agree there was an issue and agree to carry out work under warranty.

Its been back twice now as I found after the repair the DAB radio stopped working, noises too now from centre console, hidden buttons tray wouldn’t open each time and the steering wheel screeched periodically when turning.

Got the card back the second time to find find DAB radio now reconnected and working BUT centre of dash damaged...

I’ve reported the damage and they took a photo and now plan to carry out a smart repair to the damaged area. 

I’8BA291C2-7727-4814-9048-91184C7B904D.thumb.jpeg.5c19fe074204f0def0e26a5a800e75a4.jpegm not really happy about this and would ideally like them to replace the whole dash.

They have damaged the dash by using the wrong tool or method to remove it ,that is incompetence and the individual would be taken to task for it, as regards replacing the dash ,my view is it was not damaged when it was taken to the workshop and it should come out undamaged .

My Mark 4 came out of the workshop at Lexus Glasgow with all of the engine panel covers scratched after it had gone in for a belt change. the tech if you could call him that was eventually fired after another incident on another car and all my panels were replaced with a bag full of consumable car care product in the boot.

So whatever the outcome chase them for the freebies.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, Aussiestayover said:

I had similar damage to my IS250 when they were replacing passenger airbag. Sadly, I have only noticed it after a week and never bothered to contact Lexus to fix it. I agree this is annoying and I was quite disappointed when I noticed it on my car, but getting whole new dash is not very realistic. Especially considering this is 10 years old car and I don't think new dash is even made for it.

I agree with other above, to see how "smart repair" will look and go from there. Now just to manage expectation I don't believe it will be perfect, but will certainly make the damage less noticeable. 

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is that if the repair is less than perfect you will never be able to “unsee” the residual blemish, resulting in your permanent irritation.  Were one to cause this type of damage oneself, it might eventually be possible to live at peace with it as  a reminder of one’s own clumsiness.  Dealer clumsiness is less acceptable, and the culprit should be held to the highest standard when the quality of the repair comes to be judged.  I remember a time when Lexus would not have questioned this principle.  

3 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

The fact of the matter is that if the repair is less than perfect you will never be able to “unsee” the residual blemish,

From experience I am almost 100% it will be less than perfect. The best it could do is to reduce the visible damage and indeed most other people who never knew damage existed won't be able to tell it is there. But the owner who has seen the damage will always be able to see where it was - just no way around it. 

3 hours ago, ambermarine said:

They have damaged the dash by using the wrong tool or method to remove it

It was most likely damaged by sharp metal "ears" of infotainment system rather than tool. That said you are technically correct - on assembly line they use rubber or plastic jig which helps to align entire unit and prevents it damaging the surrounding panel when fitting. Whenever dealership should have such jig or whenever they should use it that is different question. What is ultimately clear is that they have not taken enough care and that has resulted in damage, even without jig they could have used some masking tape to protect edges from damage during fitting.

It may not make you feel any better, but I have had one of my watches serviced and it came back scratched. All superficial as well, but still very annoying! First reason I mention it is that high end watch technicians (called master watchmakers) are know to be rigorously selected for their expectational attention to the detail, yet who ever worked on my watch had none of that. Secondly, when I researched what would be acceptable level of scratching after service, somebody on watch forum made comparison to the car, so it just feels fair to do it in revers. The comments was along the lines - "if you get your bonnet scratched on the car during the service, would you expect bran new car? Or brand new bonnet? Or repainting the bonnet would be acceptable?".

I am not saying this is acceptable as it is, I am just saying in reality things get scratched during the service and it is just matter of deciding where to draw the line between "able to live with and unable to live with". So perhaps it is unfair to judge average mechanic for lack of care when master watchmakers do such mistakes as well. 

It sounds to me that pragmatic way of solving this is a "smart repair", but if quality is not fully satisfactory then I would not accept it either. Now again I think expecting brand new dash for that tiny damage is unrealistic and frankly impossible (there are simply no new dashes made). Perhaps they can offer some other sort of remedy i.e. branded accessories or discounted service plan?