Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX300h mileage dispute with dealer

7 hours ago, Harvey H said:

I don't have to know the exact mileage when I dropped it off

Personally I have never found it a problem to make a note of the total mileage when dropping the car off at my (excellent) local Lexus dealer.  Or when they have come to collect it.

After all, it’s right there on the dash in front of me.  
But if you feel that you need an unarguable record, then your move to take a timed and dated photo of the dash is the answer.

Perhaps good advice for others, too.

• Like 2

Viet,probably the best outcome at the end of the day,was always going to be a difficult one  proving the alleged mileage discrepancy,at least the steering issue will be looked into,and like you said going forward you can find another dealer as you have probably lost faith and trust in your current one 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harvey H said:

Thank you all for your help and opinion. I have sent an email to the manager to look into the steering wheel problem for me and he agreed to do it FOC if it is an easy fix but I have to pay if there is any parts need changing. From now on I will go to another dealership and always take a photo of my mileage in case something like this happens.

Harvey, I would say you have a pretty good result from all this as the dealer is offering you ( is he ? ) FOC on the labour charge ( at @ £190 an hour ) and do you get courtesy car too FOC and coffee and car valet too ? 

Might be worth sticking with them if they do come across feeling a trifle guilty and will surely look after you for the future ( maybe )

Malc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harvey H said:

I don't have to know the exact mileage when I dropped it off to work out the extra mileage that had been done. Last service mileage was 41461, this service mileage was 51651. So total mileage since last service is 51651 - 41641 = 10010. I know for a fact that from last service to the day I dropped the car off I have done 9800 miles. Therefore the difference is 10010 - 9800 = 210 miles. 

I admit the cost to fix the steering wheel is an assumption on my part. But any repairs done by dealership is expensive nevertheless. I have no reason to make this up. I only found out about the mileage difference by chance as the mileage on the invoice does not match the actual mileage. In addition, the lad at the reception was trying to brush me off and being very evasive when I first raise the problem to him when the manager was not there.

How are you so sure that you have done 9800 miles since the last service? How has this been measured and recorded? Is it perhaps possible that the mileage wasn’t 41,461 at the last service? From the evidence you have provided so far I cannot see how you can be so sure that 200 miles have been added whilst the car was being serviced.

Like I have explained in one of my previous replies, I often take mental note of the mileage left on the service interval counter. On the day I dropped it off at the dealer it had about 200 miles left on the counter so that's how I know I have done 9800 miles. 

The last service mileage record of 41641 was correct as I always check the service book record to see if it matches the actual mileage before leaving the dealer.

13 minutes ago, Harvey H said:

On the day I dropped it off at the dealer it had about 200 miles left on the counter

Surely when the dealer has done the service they reset the counter?

Which would suggest the car had done 4 miles from it's service or at least it's reset.

I really think there has been an error in calculating the pre-service mileage. I still think it incredible that someone at the dealership had the time to drive 200 miles in under (because of the time taken to service the car) 2 days.

Still, it's good that the dealer has agreed to look at the steering squeak. Do keep us updated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malc said:

Harvey, I would say you have a pretty good result from all this as the dealer is offering you ( is he ? ) FOC on the labour charge ( at @ £190 an hour ) and do you get courtesy car too FOC and coffee and car valet too ? 

Might be worth sticking with them if they do come across feeling a trifle guilty and will surely look after you for the future ( maybe )

Malc

Malc, really?? Do Lexus UK charge 190 an hour??  I can have heart surgery for that amount!

5 hours ago, Harvey H said:

Like I have explained in one of my previous replies, I often take mental note of the mileage left on the service interval counter. On the day I dropped it off at the dealer it had about 200 miles left on the counter so that's how I know I have done 9800 miles. 

The last service mileage record of 41641 was correct as I always check the service book record to see if it matches the actual mileage before leaving the dealer.

Thanks for explaining. This wasn’t clear from the previous posts. Or at least not to me 😀

I may well do a check to see if the service interval counter counts down exactly the same as the mileage reading counts up. 200 miles over a 9,800 mile period is a 2% difference which seems excessive and I’d have thought the inputs to both counters would be the same anyway.

I can’t help thinking that the mileage was not accurate on the previous service invoice and that this is the reason for the circa 200 miles discrepancy.

22 hours ago, Malc said:

^^ I had an incident with a (non-Lexus) dealer a while ago.

It was VERY poor service, but they corrected it well and, as @Malcsays, ever since they’ve treated me like a King and my car like a baby. They’re probably cursing me behind my back, but still - once you’ve had this sort of thing sticking with them can be a good idea based on my experience.

• Like 2

I have just heard back from the dealership telling me they have fixed the steering wheel problem for me. At least I get the car back in one piece. Again thanks all for your help and opinion. 

• Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, Harvey H said:

I have just heard back from the dealership telling me they have fixed the steering wheel problem for me. At least I get the car back in one piece. Again thanks all for your help and opinion. 

Great news 👍 Did they say what the problem was and perhaps why it suddenly happened?

It said on the invoice that the noise came from the steering cowling and they just said it was not caused by the service. I don't ask them further on why it happened.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links