Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help - Trim noise driving me mad 2020 RX

Hi All,

I recently changed from a 2017 - 2020 RX (lack of car play was driving me insane, but i loved the rest of the car).  Both the old and the new have a terribly annoying trim noise that comes from the location in image attached. 

Its resolved by merely placing hand (without any pressure) on the top towards the back. 

My question to my fellow enthusiasts - anyone know how to resolve (or remove the trim piece for me to).  It's been to Lexus and they heard it but were unable to resolve twice now.  They took the pillar trim off and re-attached and made no difference (as that wasn't the location).  I will be asking to go back, dont want to push my luck with them though as been un-charged each time. 

Thanks!

Dash1.jpg

Sounds are made when objects vibrate. If there is a void under that piece of trim it will amplify the sound. 

My thoughts are if you can access underneath that trim, and if it is a void, you might be able to stuff in some sponge to deaden the sound. I am sure someone will come along who will know what is underneath or how you can access it. Just my thoughts. My leather seats rub and make a noise - because I know what the problem is, it does not worry me that much. When you can't find the issue it does tend to drive you crazy!

• Like 2

I have exactly the same and find it annoying too. I currently have small credit cards jammed in by the pillar by the screen and a long black shoe lace pushed in all the way to the front. In the recent heat it was squiggling just as bad. Hardly a squeak out of my '05 RX300 over 14 years.

• Like 1

I've used felt tape on a few bits of my car, worth having a roll handy. To find the source of a noise what you ideally need is someone else driving so you can investigate - try pressing on different areas to see if the noise stops.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

I've used felt tape on a few bits of my car, worth having a roll handy. To find the source of a noise what you ideally need is someone else driving so you can investigate - try pressing on different areas to see if the noise stops.

I know exactly where it is, this post is help to understand how to remove the trim piece in the area. 

19 hours ago, rangebyte said:

My question to my fellow enthusiasts - anyone know how to resolve (or remove the trim piece for me to).

If you go here https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Menu/Repair you can pay for access to the official factory workshop manual on an hourly, daily, weekly basis and while in there you can freely print out any sections of it that you want.

In the absence of anyone knowing how to do it, this may be your best bet.

Just now, Herbie said:

If you go here https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Menu/Repair you can pay for access to the official factory workshop manual on an hourly, daily, weekly basis and while in there you can freely print out any sections of it that you want.

Thanks Herbie, i think i will have a look at that!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I have just upset myself.  Looks like the part is a single piece of most of the dash.  The closest things i could see was removing the defrost nozzle and maybe pushing something into the void.

image.thumb.png.2a040ebd69f969095c9599a72adb0da3.png

image.thumb.png.41a3250a8b17e39da819c9ecc8ac0fed.png

Looks like a weekend Job.  Will keep you posted.

The tech guide is fascinating!  

Chris,

My 2021 RX had what looks to be exactly the same problem where the A pillar meets the dash on the driver side (along with some other rattles that are yet to be resolved.)

The A pillar rattle was resolved for me by Lexus Gatwick on the first go.  Seems to be the wrong end of the country for you but perhaps your dealer could call Gatwick to find out how they fixed it?  Seems a shame for you to do it when the vehicle is under the original warranty.  I can tell that they re-seated the dash and the speaker on the driver side.  I don't think they touched the A pillar trim at all.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick thought.  I too heard a "rattle" from the same areas as @rangebyte (from both front side windows actually).   I then cracked open the window on one side of the car by the minutest amount (really a tiny press on the window button to lower it by millimetres).  The "rattle" stopped immediately.  A liberal spray of silicone lubricant on the top and sides of the inside of the window track fixed the problem immediately.  Did the same on the other side and all "rattles" now gone

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PDM said:

Chris,

My 2021 RX had what looks to be exactly the same problem where the A pillar meets the dash on the driver side (along with some other rattles that are yet to be resolved.)

The A pillar rattle was resolved for me by Lexus Gatwick on the first go.  Seems to be the wrong end of the country for you but perhaps your dealer could call Gatwick to find out how they fixed it?  Seems a shame for you to do it when the vehicle is under the original warranty.  I can tell that they re-seated the dash and the speaker on the driver side.  I don't think they touched the A pillar trim at all.

Paul

Was it a clicking noise like this (turn up volume).  When i place my hand on the flat panel (not the speaker panel), it goes.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahowv1VKiW-Hmsp5wPWhA7OIW3vjDA 

1 hour ago, rangebyte said:

Was it a clicking noise like this (turn up volume).  When i place my hand on the flat panel (not the speaker panel), it goes.

Hmmm... it could be.  Mine was mot as continuous, but perhaps louder when it came on (hard to tell from a recording though).  But it sounds a but like 2 slightly sticky surfaces sticking and unsticking each other very quickly?

I had to press on the slightly raised thin piece of dash where it meets the A pillar, infront of the speaker, for mine to stop.  I suspect it is essentially the same thing though, even if it comes from a place a few cm different to yours.  (Yours is on the lower, rather than the raised part, right?).

Paul

Just now, PDM said:

Hmmm... it could be.  Mine was mot as continuous, but perhaps louder when it came on (hard to tell from a recording though).  But it sounds a but like 2 slightly sticky surfaces sticking and unsticking each other very quickly?

I had to press on the slightly raised thin piece of dash where it meets the A pillar, infront of the speaker, for mine to stop.  I suspect it is essentially the same thing though, even if it comes from a place a few cm different to yours.  (Yours is on the lower, rather than the raised part, right?).

Paul

Hey,

yes agree, exactly like two sticky surfaces taking on and off each other!

Annoyingly it comes and goes.  Sometimes its just over the biggest of jolts, other times its near continuous and even the engine starting up will set the noise off with vibration.  

It isn't the top piece around the grill, its the lower flat piece with the vent in.  I've tried jamming credit cards and folder paper up between the two parts thinking it was an interface noise, but it still persists.  The only way of stopping it (and Lexus garage saw this as well) was to place hand on top of the area towards the back.

I'm starting to suspect that its also temperature related.  Didn't have the issue in winter, suggesting that its something very slightly moving in a gap.

Chris

Whilst I am fortunate not to enjoy/endure your particular problem, I have suffered 'trim squeeks' on various vehicles in the past (but never on a BMW - because their trim never meets sufficiently close to touch!)

I have resolved with a small (tiny) puffer bottle of fine PTFE powder (available on both of the largest on-line retail companies).

Being dry, it doesn't attract muck n grime, and is such a good lubricant, it may well last for a considerable time

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Illogan said:

I have resolved with a small (tiny) puffer bottle of fine PTFE powder (available on both of the largest on-line retail companies).

No need to be shy Dave, you can name eBay and amazon and even link to the product - makes life easier for us all that way :thumbsup:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rangebyte said:

Same as mine. Glad it's only on RHS as I would have to use both hands on the trim to stop the rattles/squeaks !

nothing worse than rattles.... you can buy felt tape on eBay... it fixed a problem in my IS200d, which Lexus couldn't/didn't/wouldn't ..... as someone said above, use the Lexus portal to gain access to the official workshop procedure, so you don't break anything.

Update:

I mailed Lexus Liverpool today to tell them the noise was still there.   Shared the advice from on here and they are keen to talk monday and have allocated workshop/investigation time next thursday, very willingly infact.  

Lexus service shining through.  just hope they can resolve this time (3rd times a charm 🙂 ). 

@jumbojake, I purchased some of the tape for an intermittent creak in the center console (when leaning on it).  Hopefully works!

• Like 1

Update:  Looks like the issue is resolved.  Advised 4 hours in workshop to hunt it down, several test drives as well.  Couldn't get much more info but he mentioned trim removal and refit and padding.

I took it over roads that typically set it off, nothing.  Got a motorway run this weekend that would also cause it to go off, hoping its an "all clear'!

Warning:  advised that Lexus has recently changed trim warranty investigations down from the 3 year full warranty period to 18 months or 20k miles.  I just slipped in underneath this. 

Chris 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have a thumping noise coming from underneath the drivers seat 2015 RX 350.

Happens on bumpy roads and when brakes are applied. Dealer service dept. says it is a damaged bottom seat rail. Their quoted repair price was over $2900 dollars. This sounds a bit ridiculous to me. What would make it so expensive? what else could it be.

2 hours ago, Wgalager said:

What would make it so expensive?

• Because it's a Lexus main dealer and they all charge astronomical fees, just because they can
  • Because it's a Lexus main dealer and instead of replacing the seat rail they'll probably replace the whole seat

I think I'd probably take it to a local independent garage and see what they say, maybe look for a used seat (or rail) at a breakers?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello @rangebyte, can I ask if the trim noise on your RX450h has not returned since the fix by Lexus Liverpool in 2021? I recently experienced a rattle noise behind the steering wheel. The dealership is currently investigating and told me that it seemed the trim surrounding the dash insert causing the noise. 

Thanks,

Geoff