Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Convertible roof motor needs replacing?

Hello everyone, I'm a brand new Lexus owner and just taken delivery of a 2012 IS250 convertible. I'm in my 14days keep or return period and need a little advice. I had the car inspected by a Lexus dealer who pointed out that that one of the roof electric motors will need replacing in a year or so. When we inspected the car, it seems a lot of grease had been applied to lessen the noise and now I have it, I heard the issue and hence took the car.

Question: anyone had any experience with the motors for the roof? The car was AA inspected before I bought it and this wasn't seen as an issue but I am concerned that £1,500 of motor replacement is not the best way to have a 'new' car.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance, Chris

Thanks Madasahatter, and yes this was quoted by the Lexus dealer. Still trying to locate the motor cost by itself without their fitting it.

Welcome to the forum .

Seems strange they can tell you how long the part will last. They must have a good crystal ball, dealers are good at scaring us into parting with money.

Does the motor make a noise? Does it take a long time, to fold down or go back up? If the part is greased up doesn't mean its bad all of the time.

What has the person or dealership you bought it from said, about rectifying the parts.  

Hi yes tend to agree with madasahatter  If the roof opens and closes correctly (get someone to operate it while you watch and listen outside) smoothly and without any obvious problems and you cannot see any broken or bent teeth on the geared quadrants that operate the roof then I cannot possibly see how they can predict the life span of an electric motor.The electric roof is always a worry in the back of our minds as an expensive item to fix but in my experience of Japanese electric roofs ( I also have a MX5 retractable hardtop )most problems stem from micro switch failure and/or adjustment .Certainly contact the supplying dealer with your concerns and maybe a 2nd opinion if there is another local Lexus dealer but in my experience some Lexus dealers whole aim is to relieve you of your cash and I would want a proper substantiated diagnosis

Let us know how you get on

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks both and I'll take a good look again and see whether it is just dried out because the car was stored for a while before being delivered. Really appreciate your comments and will for sure let you know how I go.

I had the same problem with my 2009 IS 250, Lexus replaced it under my extended warranty which I took out in June, it’s £499 a year for Lexus cars up to 15 years old it’s great value, and covers everything, brakes and tyres are of course not coved but all mechanical items are, including the roof.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vectron said:

I had the same problem with my 2009 IS 250, Lexus replaced it under my extended warranty which I took out in June, it’s £499 a year....

It may have been in the past but the 'traditional' extended warranty that we've been used to for years is no longer available to buy.

Instead, Lexus have released the "Relax" warranty whereby you take your car into the dealers for a service and on completion of said service, they warranty the car for 12 months until the next service is due, when you repeat the procedure.

In other words, you're getting a 12-month warranty for 'free' with every service until the car is either 10 years old or has reached 100,000 miles.

37 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It may have been in the past but the 'traditional' extended warranty that we've been used to for years is no longer available to buy.

Instead, Lexus have released the "Relax" warranty whereby you take your car into the dealers for a service and on completion of said service, they warranty the car for 12 months until the next service is due, when you repeat the procedure.

In other words, you're getting a 12-month warranty for 'free' with every service until the car is either 10 years old or has reached 100,000 miles.

but what that Relax warranty actually provides in practice we will not know until we receive reports from L.O.C. Members about their experiences. We have read the T & C of the new warranty, but we await interpretations by Lexus Dealers and the Administrators of the Scheme.

Thanks for the further updates Herbie and Roy. I've taken out an extended warranty on the car from the dealership (not a Lexus dealer) and will definitely get the car serviced in the dealership anyway. So if it goes in the next 12 months I'm covered. Video of the noisy motor attached.