Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok lately i have noticed that when ever i try to start my '94 LS 400 in the mornings or when ever it off for more than 4hrs, it won't start. I have to like turn it on and off a couple of times before it starts. Once it starts it is good to go even if i turn it off.

So far i have tested the Battery and it seems fine and even hooked up the jumper cable to my other car this morning it it didn't start....

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

All i here is the a wine... One other thing i forgot to mention was the fuel filer has never been changed and if any of you recall i asked the question as to how does one go about changing it. I hope to attempt that tonight!

hmmmm had the started replaced last summer and now u are telling me it could be that again?

Will the computer reveal this cuz i am taking it in 2morrow if i can start it to have them hook it up to the computer?

it won't be krud in your starter then, if it's only a year old. usually that applies to 14 year old starters that haven't been touched for 125 thousand miles! is it possible the bolts used to hold the starter in place were not properly tightened last year? they are very hard to get at and it's possible someone didn't do a proper job. this could allow the bendix to miss the flywheel teeth, or simply make for a poor earth. as i recall, you can't easily get to the starter to see if it's loose.

have you tried for an ordinary earth fault? i would use one jump lead (jumper cable) and go from the negative terminal on your Battery to a good earth point on the block. then try starting it.

if not, then hope the garage can fix it!

have you tried for an ordianry earth fault? i would use one jump lead (jump lead as in very heavy duty that you would use to start one car from another battery) and go from the negative terminal on the battery to a good earth point on the block. then try starting it.

Can you explain this?

re-read my last post cos i've edited it. however, the electric starter motor draws a huge amount of power when it starts. possibly 600 amps or so (a headlight bulb draws about 5amps by comparison). there is an earth (negative) path from the Battery negative terminal, usually to the body/chassis of the car, and then on to the engine block. these are very thick, short lengths of cable. if any of the connections are corroded, rusty, loose, or worn, then their ability to supply a return path for 600amps is much reduced. effectively this means that the poor connection is probably able to carry enough electricity for all the normal functions, but when you switch on the starter it can't cope. thus, a jumper cable could 'bridge over' the poor connection and make things work. it's a simple, quick test. i hope i've explained it better this time!!

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Attach one end to Battery negative terminal and the other end to the ENGINE BLOCK! select a suitable lug, bolt, etc but it must be substantial and bolted to the engine block without anything insulating it.

i can't tell you exactly which point cos my LS400 is still in the garage (i feel like one of the members who's joined up but hasn't got a lexus!)

• 4 weeks later...

BTW guys, it was indeed the Starter... Local mechanic lexus dude took one look/hear at it and wala said it was the starter. Cost me about $350 to get it installed and i also helped in doing this job...sob took us almost 4hrs to do...damn lexus, why do they have to install the starter all the way down there!!!!