Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF brake wear

So, beautiful day, at a bit of loose end, thought I’d change the rear disks and pads on the car this morning. I’ve had a set of both sitting waiting for the right moment. Car has 44,000 miles on so thought it must be ready.

Wheel off, pads out - bearly half worn. I even measured them.

the rear pads have a chamfer on the trailing edge, which flattens out at the wear indicator level. It’s way above there. Both pads and both sides were the same.

new pad was 17,5 mm thick (including the back plate) one I took out was 13,6mm thick. Hence they’ve gone back in. 

I bought the car with 28,000 miles on. I have the printed service history of the car - no pad replacement on it. They are Lexus pads on the car, question is what are other owners seeing mileage wise on pads and disk wear or replacement??

I replaced the front pads at 33,000 and the ones I took off had loads of life left in them. Hadn’t even scratched the wear indicator. Maybe should have left them a bit longer…….

guarentee when it goes in for a service - needs rear disks and pads sir…….

• Like 1

44k for a set of pads on a high performance car is very good. Obviously it varies massively based on how you drive. Personally I like to use the accelerator but rarely do heavy braking so I see little wear on the rotors or pads.

20 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

One cannot drive quickly without braking heavily, it's the law pf physics....

There's a difference in slamming on the brakes as hard as possible or coming off the throttle early and letting your speed bleed off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

There's a difference in slamming on the brakes as hard as possible or coming off the throttle early and letting your speed bleed off

Very much this. And driving with anticipation

I'm on 42,000 miles and all four corners are still healthy on the original pads and discs

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

One cannot drive quickly without braking heavily, it's the law pf physics....

Are you sure? 😁 I can think of quite a few ways to slow a car more gradually. Even if engine braking, drag and friction weren't a thing, braking lightly would still cause less wear to the pads due to lower peak brake temps.

On a semi-related note I went for a drive after washing my car last weekend and did a few heavy-braking applications along the way. When I looked at the wheels later I almost couldn't believe how caked they were in dust already. Can hardly imagine what they must look like after a track session.

Now, I don't drive like a racing driver, well not on every outing 😉 but to drive quickly i.e. to cover distance in as short a time as possible, one must maintain as high a speed as possible for as long as possible and that will mean late, hard braking. That's all I meant in my interpretation of Colin's comment ..

Seriously though I like to think I drive quickly but smoothly, carry as much speed as possible through corners etc.. I modulate accelerator control by looking as far ahead as possible and bleed off speed to try and keep momentum.

However one might describe my driving 'style' when I was covering high annual mileages I probably needed pads every 40k-50k miles in my C class and had the first front pad change at 90k miles in the Alhambra. Now, the CLS55 was slightly different with pads and discs every two sets of tyres.... :devil2: 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links