Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I always thought engine in the 450 was 2GRFSE but looking in my manual its 2 GRFXE mine is 2018 mk4 Premier

I am hoping that Colin will pop up he usually knows these things  or does anyone know

there must be a difference

TAI

Robert

The series III GS450h uses the 2GR-FSE engine, which runs the conventional Otto cycle.

The series IV GS450h (2012 onwards) uses the 2GR-FXE engine, which runs the Atkinson cycle with a higher compression ratio. It is more energy efficient and where it lacks power the electric motors compensate so is ideally suited for Hybrid vehicles.

All the 2GR engines are very similar.

• Like 3

thank you so much for that Colin that does clear it up

But i did think obviously wrong that the Mk 3 was also Atkinson cycle but i did notice that my 2010 450 accelerated a lot faster than my mk4 its still extremely quick i hasten to add i did think that they may have dropped the power of engine a little but thought no more about it as it is still very quick of the mark well for me that is

Once again thanks for the info

Robert

Official power rating for the engine alone for S3 450h is 292bhp and 368 Nm torque. S4 is 288bhp and 352 Nm.

8 hours ago, KayCee said:

i did notice that my 2010 450 accelerated a lot faster than my mk4

Personally I think my Mk4 F Sport accelerates faster than my 2006 SE-L but I think it's all subjective.

Both the RX and GS hybrids at that age were Otto engines, only the Prius was Atkinson. I imagine that emissions/economy weren't the highest priority on these vehicles as they were sold on their performance more than anything else and possibly didn't warrant the extra engine R&D needed when they weren't sure on how well they would sell.

The GS450h series III vs IV - the are quite similar in power as Chris has stated, the engine is slightly down but the hybrid performance is up so the total system power is the same, as are the performance times.

On the RX side the series III 450h is slower than the series II 400h despite a larger engine, but that is a result of the series III being a larger vehicle.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for That Colin

The 2GR-FXS uses electric motors for variable valve timing whereas the FSE uses solenoids and hydraulic pressure. This allows the FXS to operate in both conventional OTTO mode as well as Atkinson mode. Atkinson mode keeps the intake valves open during part of the compression stroke to reduce friction and improve gas mileage. I believe they introduced the 2GR-FXS in 2016 for all models of the GS350.. not just the hybrid. I believe the FXS is a less mechanically complicated motor as well.

end
I gleaned this info from US site does this apply to our models

9 hours ago, KayCee said:

I gleaned this info from US site does this apply to our models

There seems to be quite a few inaccuracies in the quote you found.

Firstly I assuming they are talking about the 2GR-FKS rather than the 2GR-FXS as they refer to the GS350. This engine was introduced to the GS in the 2016 facelift. It adopts Toyota VVT-iW technology - the W standard for Wide and allows the intake timing to be further altered from standard VVT-i which does allow the engine to move into an Atkinson mode when under partial load and operates in Otto mode for the rest of the time.

This is performed by solenoid and oil pressure as normal. The engine does not use VVT-iE which uses an electric motor to control intake timing - this is used on the LS and the F engine in the GS F, RC F and LC500. This allows wide operation, as VVT-iW, but with advantage that intake timing can be changed when the engine is at idle, when oil pressure isn't strong enough to use the hydraulic method.

This engine was not adopted in the GS450h, it kept the 2GR-FXE even with the facelift.

The 2GR-FXS is the hybrid adapted version of the 2GR-FKS - it is used in the series IV RX450h, not in the GS450h.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for that info Colin

It mostly went over the top really your Knowledge astounds me, it is great to have some one on our Forum that as this level of expertise

It was only curiosity that LED me to ask the question my 450 is running like a dream all the power that i need on tap

I Did think it was not as quick as the mk3 SEL i had but that may not be the case it just felt like it,

Also now that the Goodyear Eagles are bedded in (i hav done 2K on them) the car is whisper quiet and the slight rumble frorm passenger side as completly gone.

Mind if i am on a really bad road you can hear the road but on normal well kept roads it is very quiet so all in all very pleased.

Once again Colin and Chris thank you for the info

Robert

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, ColinBarber said:

The 2GR-FXS is the hybrid adapted version of the 2GR-FKS - it is used in the series IV RX450h, not in the GS450h.

Excellent info as always Colin, thanks for posting 👍

Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but does this mean that the engine in the RX450h and the GS450h are different?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but does this mean that the engine in the RX450h and the GS450h are different?

The series III RX 450h used the same 2GE-FXE as the series IV GS 450h.

The current series IV RX 450h (2016-) uses the 2GE-FXS

• Thanks 1