Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic converter

9 hours ago, Grant chappell said:

So tonight had my catalytic converter cut from under my 16 plate nx300h in a hospital car park anyone suggest the best way of sorting this out and what sort of costing this will be 

Check all of the signage in the car park and ask to see any video footage and if you were charged to park, then consider talking to the Hospital about recompense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Grant. This happened to me the day before! 11pm my car alarm went off and within 90 seconds the b******* were driving off with my cat converter.  My bumper was also damaged as they wedged a dustbin behind it (stop it rolling back). No quick way to get through this. Thought I’d just pay out of my own money for speed and less stress but was told it would cost around £900 then I would need a hire car around £250 and I wanted a Lexus car lock £250!! too much money, so had to spend hours on phone with insurance company. Hire company towing company and approved garage. So sorry. I feel your frustration!! 😤🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

🤠

thanks for the reply’s yeah pay to park so that’s the next port of call reported to police who basically have no interest I have another car so one plus if any I’ve had it looked at today they have took the cat and the lamba sensor is it 🤷🏼‍♂️So yeah gonna have to source parts through Lexus an have my mechanic fit from what I’m hearing if it’s £900 I’ll b happy I’ve been on to Lexus about a catlock frustratingly they don’t do one for the nx so head office is a future step because this can’t happen again 

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Check all of the signage in the car park and ask to see any video footage and if you were charged to park, then consider talking to the Hospital about recompense.

It's always worth the talk but one would have to prove the car park operator (might not be the hospital) was negligent, which will be difficult unless the operator advertises the car park as 'secure'....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

It's always worth the talk but one would have to prove the car park operator (might not be the hospital) was negligent, which will be difficult unless the operator advertises the car park as 'secure'....

Like I said, check the signage.

• Thanks 1

Yeah gonna look at the signs and check the cameras was told it’s the 4 theft on that car park of a cat in July so clearly needs raising and looking into it’s happened to me can’t change that going forward be nice to make it not happen again ie catlock or some of protection and offer anything possible to stop it happening to anyone else rest assured Lexus nx can definitely have the cat’s easily removed 

Just managing expectations. A look around the interweb will show it's exceptionally difficult to get compensation from operators unless the loss is clearly through negligence. Theft by a 3rd party is not the operator's fault (unless we are talking about a secure parking facility, gated, patrolled and enclosed) so possibly the best one can hope for is cooperation by supplying any video footage. Even this is thin help as the Police are not likely to act unless the images clearly identify the miscreants.

Case in point, we just two days ago had a CAT theft (the second in as many months) from our car park at work (B&Q) the van was caught on CCTV but the reg plate was too dirty to read, Police just noted the case and supplied a reference number for the insurers.

Apart from wiring the car to the mains supply I'm not sure one can stop these scum 😟 

Yeah thanks all I will keep posted more important keep vigilant and hopefully stop this happening it’s now been confirmed it’s been cut just before the engine compartment and further back up the exhaust so took the cat converter  aswell as mid exhaust box and lambda sensor but fortunately no other damage 

• Like 1

Nemesis uk quite the exact info I’ve had so far with no clear footage the police just offer a crime reference number the insurance are not interested as it’s just a car part the car is still in same origin so im dealing with it myself through either Lexus or my mechanic 

5 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Just managing expectations. A look around the interweb will show it's exceptionally difficult to get compensation from operators unless the loss is clearly through negligence. Theft by a 3rd party is not the operator's fault (unless we are talking about a secure parking facility, gated, patrolled and enclosed) so possibly the best one can hope for is cooperation by supplying any video footage. Even this is thin help as the Police are not likely to act unless the images clearly identify the miscreants.

Case in point, we just two days ago had a CAT theft (the second in as many months) from our car park at work (B&Q) the van was caught on CCTV but the reg plate was too dirty to read, Police just noted the case and supplied a reference number for the insurers.

Apart from wiring the car to the mains supply I'm not sure one can stop these scum 😟 

I agree with all you say,but have stopped managing expectations since NASA ignored Morton Thiokol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grant chappell said:

Nemesis uk quite the exact info I’ve had so far with no clear footage the police just offer a crime reference number the insurance are not interested as it’s just a car part the car is still in same origin so im dealing with it myself through either Lexus or my mechanic 

That doesn't make sense, surely your insurance covers you for theft from the car as well as theft of the car? Doesn't matter if it's a personal item or a part of the car. It might not be worth going through the insurance because of your excess and increased premiums, but I can't see how they can say you're not covered for it.

• Like 1

Well I’ve asked the question they say it’s not covered as the car is still in situe covers theft of the car not parts of it crazy I know didnt divulge too much emotions as already high as you can imagine and realistically no intention of going through insurance just want it fixing and hopefully raise awareness for anyone else with an nx I’ve left the mechanic investigating today whether it’s possible to do away with this secondary cat an replace with pipe and re map the car cats are also as I’m finding out not so simple to acquire so no quick fix also 😖

This is seriously bad luck, Grant. Yours is the first NX I've heard of having the cat stolen as they're difficult (we thought) to get to. Sounds like your thieves went to a lot of trouble. Hopefully doesn't start a spate!

• Like 2

This is unwelcome news I must say. Hope the OP gets this sorted ok. Can’t see why it can’t be an insurance claim though. Was the car insured on a third party, fire and theft basis or was it fully comprehensive?

3 minutes ago, Grant chappell said:

Well stay vigilant as I’ve been under the car and they used a Jack to bump the car up an used a chain cutter an cut in two places looks very simple and very quick to me straight forward access too 

Interesting... see attached, can you indicate where the cuts were made?Screenshot_20191025-224005_Chrome.thumb.jpg.494ef81a7880610b5a5d1448b78eb804.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grant chappell said:

Is that the diagram for my vehicle I’m not sure if it’s a model with or without a gpf

I'm honestly not sure. The model with the GPF would be very difficult to steal the cat from, I'd say!! No one has yet confirmed whether any UK NXs have a GPF or not...