Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic converter

7 hours ago, Grant chappell said:

Well honestly looking at that diagram I’d say they have taken the gpf although the mechanic today said cat converter and lambda sensor and was aware the car had a cat in the engine bay 

They may well have taken something that is worthless to them. Was this a Lexus mechanic?

2 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

They may well have taken something that is worthless to them. Was this a Lexus mechanic?

Looks like they may have taken the GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter?).

I wonder how the GPF being stolen compares to theft of the CAT in terms of inconvenience and cost to replace. Hopefully someone on here can enlighten me.

So now we have the scrotes cutting out fairly worthless (to them) bits of metal because presumably they don’t know any better. Having inaccessible cats on an NX is now not the deterrent it appeared to be.

I’d get a Lexus dealership to look at it too. I wouldn’t rely on a mechanic who clearly doesn’t know these cars.

Well I’m kinda coming to my own conclusion that they have cut the gpf but the way it’s been cut means I need new exhaust parts aswell thinking they are on an rx getting the cat either way over the coming days I will get to the bottom of this an will share my findings an raise awareness help stop this happening to other nx owners 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Grant chappell said:

Well I’m kinda coming to my own conclusion that they have cut the gpf

The NX300h didn't get a GPF until mid 2019 (manufactured not registered). Until then the secondary cat is on the front section of the exhaust and what was stolen in this case.

I'm not 100% sure the European models after 2019 have a GPF either - in theory they don't need it for Euro-6d regulations as it is only a requirement for Direct Injection engines, which the NX300h is not - so it may only be China, and some other regions that have the GPF - but maybe they are fitted to Euro models too - some further investigate required there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to read this.I would never of thought an NX was a target until now.I thought the cats on those are hidden right up into the engine bay like the is300h?

Good luck and i hope it all gets sorted quickly.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

Sorry to read this.I would never of thought an NX was a target until now.I thought the cats on those are hidden right up into the engine bay like the is300h?

The IS300h is the same as this NX300h - primary cat is in the engine bay, secondary cat is on the exhaust underneath the vehicle.

So latest update is ive emailed Lexus who have no concerns over cat theft on this model and gave no plans to form a catlock for the nx as the demand just isn’t there also with my local dealership I’m quoted £891 for a cat £151 for a lambda sensor and £393 for the mid section of exhaust that’s also damaged along with there £144 per hour labour rate they will let me buy parts only so still up in the air I will keep posted 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

So final resolution to the matter just got the car back from the local mechanic who has had to wait for parts from Lexus it’s had a new cat converter a new lambda sensor modifications on the middle exhaust section and a new wiring loom which they kindly cut through in the process in total I’ve paid exactly £1000 I quickly learned that Lexus want nothing to do with the issues on this particular vehicle an mechanics can get the parts cheaper than we can although Lexus promise the cats are at trade price there not now I want to stop this happening again no one has any good ideas so if anyone can share any it would be greatly appreciated 

I am really sorry to hear about the theft and getting worried as I have recently placed an order for a new NX even though I wanted to go for Rx450h but apart from the difference in purchase price, I was influenced by the fact that there have been no instances of theft of Cats on Nx. 

I will raise this with the dealer in the morning (and also send an email to Lexus UK) and probably cancel my order as I wouldn't want this kind of stress and expense preventing me from enjoying my new car where I am worried about parts getting stolen from any parking lot or my drive and ending up with spending 1k to put things in order.

1 hour ago, Grant chappell said:

So final resolution to the matter just got the car back from the local mechanic who has had to wait for parts from Lexus it’s had a new cat converter a new lambda sensor modifications on the middle exhaust section and a new wiring loom which they kindly cut through in the process in total I’ve paid exactly £1000 I quickly learned that Lexus want nothing to do with the issues on this particular vehicle an mechanics can get the parts cheaper than we can although Lexus promise the cats are at trade price there not now I want to stop this happening again no one has any good ideas so if anyone can share any it would be greatly appreciated 

Hi Grant,

I have sent an email to Lexus at cr@lexus.co.uk highlighting the issues as below:

"I am really upset to learn that one member of Lexus Owners Club has reported theft of catalytic converter as I was under the impression that an NX was not a target until now since I thought the cats are hidden right up into the engine bay. 

I have also learnt that on contacting Lexus, the customer was informed that Lexus have no concerns over cat theft on this model and there were no plans to form a catlock for the nx as the demand just isn’t there and the local dealership quoted £891 for a cat £151 for a lambda sensor and £393 for the mid section of exhaust which was also damaged along with £144 per hour labour rate which is ridiculous. 

I have recently placed an order for a New Nx which is on it's way on ship :Euphony Ace (vehicle carrier) I am inclined to cancel my order as I wouldn't want this kind of stress and expense preventing me from enjoying my new car where I am worried about parts getting stolen from any parking lot or my drive and ending up with spending 1k to put things in order.

I hope that Lexus can look into this before it snowballs and starts affecting sales of your brand as it is being discussed in the LOC forum: https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/129585-catalytic-converter/?&page=2#comments

Look forward to hearing from you as to what support would you provide to present and future Lexus Nx owners before I cancel my order and seek a refund of the deposit paid to the dealer."

Hope this is taken seriously by Lexus as I wouldn't want to go through this experience and to live in fear of this happening or stump up a fortune to put things in order if this happens.

I am really sad that I'll have to bow out of this forum as my dream of owning a Lexus has been shattered as I will be cancelling my order in the morning and will send another email confirming my cancellation to customer relations so that they take notice of genuine concerns raised by you.

• Sad 1

A cancelled order then and also a few owners thinking about selling theirs. This could easily snowball into a bigger problem for Lexus if they aren’t careful. The Police are woefully under resourced to do anything about this and they are in any case often too busy because they are performing their perceived social and community roles to prevent crime in the first place. And precious metals are in high demand. A perfect storm perhaps?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

A cancelled order then and also a few owners thinking about selling theirs. This could easily snowball into a bigger problem for Lexus if they aren’t careful. The Police are woefully under resourced to do anything about this and they are in any case often too busy because they are performing their perceived social and community roles to prevent crime in the first place. And precious metals are in high demand. A perfect storm perhaps?

Still waiting to find out if there have been any adaptations for the protection of the cats on the new 2022 NX... 🤔

• Thanks 1

Well I’m told new Lexus don’t have the precious metals in that thief’s desire not sure how much truth is in this the best offer Lexus gave me was to water ink the new part I politely declined as this won’t stop a thief or the intended scrap destination that profit from it. Thanks rajwjfwjk think the more awareness and the more gently leaning on Lexus the better I don’t want anyone going through what I have the past 3weeks and no live in fear that this can easily happen again like I assured Lexus there are two cats in the nx300h an I can assure anyone the secondary cat is very accessible and very easy to remove 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 8:37 AM, Steve Oliver said:

Still waiting to find out if there have been any adaptations for the protection of the cats on the new 2022 NX... 🤔

On 8/19/2021 at 10:22 AM, Grant chappell said:

Well I’m told new Lexus don’t have the precious metals in that thief’s desire not sure how much truth is in this the best offer Lexus gave me was to water ink the new part I politely declined as this won’t stop a thief or the intended scrap destination that profit from it. Thanks rajwjfwjk think the more awareness and the more gently leaning on Lexus the better I don’t want anyone going through what I have the past 3weeks and no live in fear that this can easily happen again like I assured Lexus there are two cats in the nx300h an I can assure anyone the secondary cat is very accessible and very easy to remove 

I have since then shot off another email to confirm placement of CATs and what steps if any have been taken in designing of new RX/NX models to prevent theft of CATs and allay the fears of customers planning to purchase a new car. 

A response is eagerly awaited and I'll update you all.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The response from Lexus is as below :

Thank you for your email query regarding the catalytic converter crime risk on the NX model.

Understandably, the matter of organised crime targeting vehicles in the automotive industry has caused many customers worry, as well as additional, unplanned expense in terms of securing their vehicles, and having to replace parts and remedy damage done to their vehicles in the attempted theft incidents. We are very sorry for the concern this crime has caused.

The theft of catalytic converters has grown hugely in recent years thanks to the significant rise in the price of some precious metals inside the devices, which the automotive industry is using to clean exhaust gases and reduce pollution. Many manufacturers are affected by what police call “a co-ordinated, organised crime linked to other serious forms of offending”.

Our latest initiative sees Toyota/Lexus working with police and Smart Water to source and fund the distribution of police-approved marking kits, which are invisible, and this in turn means a stolen catalytic converter can be traced to a specific crime, helping police in their attempts to fight the organised gangs responsible. It also raises the risk to all those handling the devices along the criminal chain, from theft to eventual disposal and recycling. In the case of Toyota/Lexus vehicles, thieves are targeting the older hybrid models because the catalyst in a hybrid has a lower workload than in a non-electrified vehicle, meaning it is in better condition. In more modern Toyota/Lexus cars the catalysts are of a different design and are not typically targets for theft as a result.

Toyota/Lexus also hopes that the marking programme will dissuade rogue scrap metal dealers who are happy to pay cash for stolen converters, now that the risk of being caught is greater than ever before. The precious metals inside catalysts are recycled and illegally sold by the end user in the crime, often abroad.

Toyota/Lexus is offering the Smar****er marking free to all Toyota and Lexus owners, who simply need to call their local Toyota or Lexus retailer to arrange a visit. Because thieves are predominantly targeting older models, this presents a challenge for Toyota/Lexus in contacting owners of cars which may no longer be regularly seen by our retail network. To help with this Toyota/Lexus has issued 20,000 Smar****er kits to police to support their local anti-catalyst theft initiatives. We are also working with the AA, Toyota and Lexus' road-side partner, so its patrols can point customers to where they can get a free kit.

In addition to the range of deterrents we have introduced, such as the tilt sensor bolt, CatLoc on higher risk models and Smar****er free of charge to all Toyota/Lexus vehicles, we have implemented an internal priority supply network designed to complement our continued focus on increasing the supply of parts to meet demand and ensure customers get back on the road as soon as possible. Our focus on parts supply is already starting to pay dividends: through our strong efforts, we are starting to see a much-improved supply of replacement parts, which has reduced the length of time our customers are "off road" with this issue.

As a symbol of our support to overcome the inconvenience and the cost to our customers who have been affected by these acts of crime, we supply the replacement parts to the Toyota/Lexus Centres at cost to ourselves. There are zero marginal gains for Toyota/Lexus on the supply of these parts.

Unfortunately, given the nature of the concern, and in the interest of security we will not be able to share the design of the new system on the Lexus NX which is available for ordering from September 2021. Our model designs are continuously upgraded; however, we cannot predict the erratic behaviour of criminal activity and focus.

In addition, catalytic converter crime has primarily been focused in the UK and London and the South East in particular.  It has reached other parts of Europe and some areas of the United States but is not considered a global matter.  We have found in our newer models, across both brands, that the location of the catalytic converter has meant that it not targeted in an organised way by criminals.

I can confirm however, that reported cases of catalytic converter thefts on the NX remains at an extremely low risk level and we can confidently say that it has not been targeted. Please note that the NX has been on sale since 2014 so we would have seen a far greater volume of catalytic converter thefts reported had this not been the case.

I do hope you are able to utilise your forum's platform to reach those Toyota/Lexus owners who have not yet contacted a Toyota/Lexus Centre for Smar****er, to action as a matter of urgency.

We will continue to lobby for changes in the law that stop this crime from being attractive to criminals and will offer our full cooperation, as we have always done to the Home Office and Police  to deter criminals. 

On a more positive note, I am very excited to learn of your interest in our new Lexus NX which will be shipped to customers from January 2022 and would like to invite you to discuss your new model in detail with the sales team at your preferred Centre. I would be happy to facilitate this contact for you if you would like to share your preference in terms of area with me?

I hope the information has been of assistance and has given you some peace of mind in terms of how serious we have been taking with the issue of catalytic converter crime.

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, RajWJFWJK said:

In addition, catalytic converter crime has primarily been focused in the UK and London and the South East in particular.  It has reached other parts of Europe and some areas of the United States but is not considered a global matter.

Which means Toyota aren't going to design their vehicles to try and stop this. If the cat is more difficult to steal on some models it is just a happy coincidence 😞 

The next gen NX will probably be like current NX with a GPF - cats only in the engine bay. Not to stop theft, but because the GPF replaces the secondary cat under the vehicle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links