Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Last weekend bought an approved-used lexus 2014 GS 300h (41500 Miles on the clock). 

Firsy impression, while I was looking aroud the car - I have noticed, the vehicle was not buffed (while the dealer told me it will be), and when I mentioned it to him, he said, these scratches can not be buffed. 
Now I have been around vehicles enough, to know different. Anyways - I dropped the subject.

Secondly - Tyres. Almost worn to the marks....  I asked him about it - he started to give me some theories about how many mm should the tyre thread be and we should look at the milimeters, not the tyre markings. (Very strange....   I quit arguing). 

The week before I emailed him, that the vehicle had an advisory in the MOT records over the past 3 inspections, about the chip on the front windscreen. I asked them to fix it, and he said, they will replace the windscreen. So they did - the front windscreen is brand new. However, there was a heavy rain on Wednesday (only three days after I took posession of the vehicle) I have noticed, the Auto-Wipers function doesn't work. The indicator light is on, the wipers make single pass, when I turn the Auto function on, but the sensor doesn't work. 

The dealer says, the vehicle has 12 months full Lexus Warranty. Now they want me to take the vehicle back, leave it at the dealer I took it from (around 80 miles away), until they fix the issue, and they do not offer a courtesy car for me to go about my day. This only can be done during week day. 

Is all this sounds normal to you? Does anyone have similar experience with Lexus Dealers? 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ThePraetorian said:

Last weekend bought an approved-used lexus 2014 GS 300h (41500 Miles on the clock). 

Firsy impression, while I was looking aroud the car - I have noticed, the vehicle was not buffed (while the dealer told me it will be), and when I mentioned it to him, he said, these scratches can not be buffed. 
Now I have been around vehicles enough, to know different. Anyways - I dropped the subject.

Secondly - Tyres. Almost worn to the marks....  I asked him about it - he started to give me some theories about how many mm should the tyre thread be and we should look at the milimeters, not the tyre markings. (Very strange....   I quit arguing). 

The week before I emailed him, that the vehicle had an advisory in the MOT records over the past 3 inspections, about the chip on the front windscreen. I asked them to fix it, and he said, they will replace the windscreen. So they did - the front windscreen is brand new. However, there was a heavy rain on Wednesday (only three days after I took posession of the vehicle) I have noticed, the Auto-Wipers function doesn't work. The indicator light is on, the wipers make single pass, when I turn the Auto function on, but the sensor doesn't work. 

The dealer says, the vehicle has 12 months full Lexus Warranty. Now they want me to take the vehicle back, leave it at the dealer I took it from (around 80 miles away), until they fix the issue, and they do not offer a courtesy car for me to go about my day. This only can be done during week day. 

Is all this sounds normal to you? Does anyone have similar experience with Lexus Dealers? 

Hi,

This is my first post but from my own personal experience, I refused to drive back 2 hours to and fro to the lexus dealership and they agreed to collect the car and gave me a 21 plate NX 300h courtesy car for the 2 days my car was in their workshop.

I purchased a 2015 RX 450h back in June and the air conditioning was blowing warm air.

Let the dealership collect the car when they can and request for a courtesy car. I believe you have 14 days to reject the car if you are not happy with the purchase or the whole dealer experience.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Like 3

the dealership should be providing you with a courtesy car if they have one available,

go back and ask them when they'll have a courtesy car available for you and book

your car in for the repair..

dont let the dealership walk over you and stand your ground with them

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ThePraetorian said:

When I read this, I have to say my flabber was well and truly gasted!  If this dealer is a part of a larger Group, then I would suggest a registered letter to the Group CEO detailing your complaints will concentrate minds.

The Dealer certainly has the right to have the chance to rectify faults, but you cannot be placed in a position of loss as a result of their failure to fulfil the Contract they entered in to.

My first reaction here would be to name this Dealer. If other posters have had similar experiences with them this may well resolve the question as to whether you persevere with this car or get an immediate refund - which you are entitled to have as the vehicle sold to you was not in the condition you were told it would be!

Where to start?

Well, if you're a member of the AA/RAC or similar (and if not, why not?) then I would call their Legal Department.  They've been dealing with Use Car Dealers for decades!

the vehicle was not buffed (while the dealer told me it will be), and when I mentioned it to him, he said, these scratches can not be buffed. 

Depends on whether he made the second statement before or after you'd bought it!

8 hours ago, ThePraetorian said:

Tyres. Almost worn to the marks....  I asked him about it - he started to give me some theories about how many mm should the tyre thread be and we should look at the milimeters, not the tyre markings.

Nonsense.  The legal limit is 1.6mm but I doubt any tyre maker would recommend going below 3mm.  The Tread Wear Indicators are there for a reason.  This is a clip from the Continental Tyre website:

• Tread wear indicators are spaced evenly through the main grooves in the tyre tread. If they are flush with the level of the tread, then the tyre must be replaced.
9 hours ago, ThePraetorian said:

the Auto-Wipers function doesn't work.

You have to question the competence of a workshop that fits a new windscreen and doesn't check the Auto Wipe function.  Of course it should be working!

The dealer says, the vehicle has 12 months full Lexus Warranty.

You should have been given a copy.  Check the conditions that apply.

9 hours ago, ThePraetorian said:

Now they want me to take the vehicle back, leave it at the dealer I took it from (around 80 miles away), until they fix the issue, and they do not offer a courtesy car for me to go about my day.

The faults of which you are complaining are of their own making and a result of their failure to honour their side of the Sales Contract.  You should not be inconvenienced or caused a loss as a result.

So if you wanted to persevere with this car I would be inclined to state that they will collect it, leave you with a courtesy vehicle as you need one for work etc and return the car to you in the condition you had paid for.  Which includes new tyres and functioning Auto Wipe.

Their other option is an immediate refund.

Oh, and I'd probably be less inclined to deal with them in the future!

Remember, right now is when you are in the strongest negotiating position.

• Like 5

I thought you might find this useful.  It’s information on dealing with used car dealers.  It includes such goodies as a specimen letter of complaint, your rights under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 -  and how to get a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-a-car-dealer-atBv04B9OXas

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-bought-from-a-dealer-aeziX3M7tYNw

Should just about cover it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LenT said:

I thought you might find this useful.  It’s information on dealing with used car dealers.  It includes such goodies as a specimen letter of complaint, your rights under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 -  and how to get a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-a-car-dealer-atBv04B9OXas

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-bought-from-a-dealer-aeziX3M7tYNw

Should just about cover it!

I am well versed in such matters Len. Your presence now lightens my responsibility to inform.

As I have mentioned previously to you Len, you should have joined us a long time ago.

(I remember why you couldn`t though)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I am well versed in such matters Len. Your presence now lightens my responsibility to inform.

As I have mentioned previously to you Len, you should have joined us a long time ago.

(I remember why you couldn`t though)

Thank you John.

But it suddenly occurred to me that you might have thought my last post was directed at your good self.  I would not be so presumptuous.

It was of course additional info for the OP.

A phrase incorporating dog, old, tricks, new and teach springs to mind.  🙂

PS: Not that I’m suggesting you can’t learn new tricks!

PPS: You know how sometimes you think a post might have been better if it had ended a couple of sentences earlier….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Thank you John.

But it suddenly occurred to me that you might have thought my last post was directed at your good self.  I would not be so presumptuous.

It was of course additional info for the OP.

A phrase incorporating dog, old, tricks, new and teach springs to mind.  🙂

PS: Not that I’m suggesting you can’t learn new tricks!

PPS: You know how sometimes you think a post might have been better if it had ended a cof sentences earlier….

Len, I was delighted to see and read your comprehensive Posting... and have sent you a P.M.

• Like 1

Yep, that's basically what happened with me except it was the hybrid Battery that was faulty.

So after some "discussion" with the dealer (non-lexus) and me showing that I knew exactly what my rights were and
they were basically going to end up spending a lot of money if they didn't find an agreement, they ended up refunding
a good chunk of my purchase price and I got it fixed by Richard at hybrid Battery solutions.

So with a brand new hybrid Battery, the car cost total £2800, including what I got back from selling the old Battery cells on eBay
which isn't bad at all! 🙂

As with most dealers I've found, they also tried to blag that it wasn't their responsibility e.t.c. till I showed them I actually knew
what the law was. Unfortunately sometimes  used car dealers do live up to their reputations.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, LenT said:

Well, if you're a member of the AA/RAC or similar (and if not, why not?) then I would call their Legal Department.  They've been dealing with Use Car Dealers for decades!

I have RAC roadside assistance coverage through my insurance. Does this means I have membership at RAC? 

1 hour ago, ThePraetorian said:

He made this statemene before I buy it. 

In that case it wasn't a condition of sale.  He'd obviously just changed his mind about the amount of work he was prepared to do to clinch the sale.

You could have insisted, but by the sounds of it you would probably have got a bodged job.  It's a bit late now, but I might have used that to knock down the price.  Something to bear in mind for future dealings.

If you keep the car now, it's probably better to either do the work yourself or get a body shop or detailer to have a look at it.

Whatever it costs, it's likely to improve the potential value of the car.

I have RAC roadside assistance coverage through my insurance. Does this means I have membership at RAC? 

Yes, but to a limited extent.  If you read through the documents that came with it, they'll detail what you're entitled to.  It probably won't include general Legal Aid.

I think that the Which pages I referred you to are probably enough to give any car dealer (whom I notice you've still not named) the impression that you know what you're talking about.  And they're not going to want to pick a fight if they think that.

When I bought the Lexus it came with 'free' Lexus Roadside Assistance - which turned out to be operated by the AA, of which I've been a full member since 1967.  So I was never going to actually use it.

I don't know your personal circumstances, but you could always ring the RAC and ask them.  They'll probably try to sign you up for full membership and then put you on to their Legal Department.

From then on it depends on how you feel about insurance.  When my Accord was written off on the M25, the AA dealt with everything - from collecting us and the car to final payout.  I thought the fees were money well invested.

• Like 1

I want to thank every one of you, who took time to answer to my post. You really lifted my concerns and made me realize that Lexus community is strong and it is a pleasure to be a part of it. 
I have more questions, related to the car, so I will be happy to communicate with you in the future! 

P.S.  I have an appointment to take the car back next week, so the problem with the automatic rain sensor will be resolved.

Cheers!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 3:20 PM, royoftherovers said:

Len, I was delighted to see and read your comprehensive Posting... and have sent you a P.M.

royoftherovers and LenT will shortly be announcing their engagement 😉🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to this topic the development of the story.

I contacted the Lexus of Cambridge again, and they have agreed for me to bring the vehicle in, so they can fix the rain sensor.
So I did, and they have fixed it.
Upon picking the vehicle up from them, two things made impression.

First, the vehicle was splashed with some white-ish water, so they can test the sensor, and they delivered it as it was, no washing it. Now many of you may say "Oh, what a big deal", but wen we are talking about "premium" cars and "premium" service, this is not it.
For comparing I will mention, that a Mercedes Benz dealer took my 1996 S420 for front end alignment and returned the car detailed, in and out.

Second, I have noticed the AC doesn't give equally cold blow between the driver and passenger side. I called the service manager, and showed him the difference. He acknowledged that indeed the AC was not blowing equally cold air from the right and left vents, and it was not blowing cold enough, so he advised me to keep driving it would get better. I asked him if the vehicle would be OK to take me to Croatia and back the next week, and he assured me I would have no issues.
During my 18 hour trip South I realized, the AC barely blowing cold. I was sweating and it was very exhausting driving like this.
I ended up finding local shop to refill the AC Gas for me, during which process we found out the AC unit has only 200 gram of gas in it, while it should have 600.

I was disappointed again, since I
called it while the vehicle was with the dealer, and refilling (including testing the system for leaks) only took an hour and a half. They did nothing. 

I am not sure what you guys think, but this, I can tell you, is NOT premium service. 🙂 Very mediocre performance.

Many members would prefer their cars not to be detailed by the dealership, as in some cases marring and swirls can be inflicted.

I'm not sure how low refrigerant gas could cause an imbalance in chilled air one side of the car to the other? This would surely be some air distribution problem, or setting imbalance as the air would be chilled before distribution?

36 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

This would surely be some air distribution problem, or setting imbalance as the air would be chilled before distribution?

This was a common symptom of not having enough gas in the AC unit. Once I filled it up, no issues.

37 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Many members would prefer their cars not to be detailed by the dealership, as in some cases marring and swirls can be inflicted.

I don't know what do you mean by that. If the dealer can't detail a car clean, who can?

I think there is quite a distance between a full detail ( brushing out the dust in air vents and the like) and a quick wash and leather off plus a whip round the interior with a Henry at a dealers.

• Like 2

I don't know what do you mean by that. If the dealer can't detail a car clean, who can?

It is kind of off-topic to your initial statement/query but answering this specific question a detailer can, not a car dealership 😉 Dealers don't employ paint detailing experts and will introduce swirls to the paintwork that most owners won't care about but some do (hence why they tell the dealership to not wash their vehicle).

Back to your original statement about washing - I'd normally expect a Lexus dealer to wash/clean a vehicle unless they were told not to. My local dealer does even just for an MOT.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 1:23 PM, NemesisUK said:

i took my car in for its mot a week ago , my car came back to the front of the dealership so i went out to get the keys

suddenly my car shot off to the valeting area where god knows what cheap paint stripper they started using on the paintwork

i had a few choice words to the guy who didnt care he then rinsed my car and went to dry it with a yellow cloth

that was black and full of grime, i did ask the guy if he dropped the cloth would he then carry on using it

and he said he would so this is why you find scratches on your car

when he returned my car he drove it like a t@@t

always wash your car yourself.