Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MRI

PCM

On 8/3/2021 at 12:29 PM, Barry14UK said:

Well you insure your car and most probably your house, so how much more important paying for the NHS. You never know when you might need very expensive treatment.  If you could opt out of using the NHS and have your portion of tax for this refunded, would you not cover this risk by taking out private insurance so you would pay either way?  Actually, private insurance would cost you more, I know I have had both.  Furthermore, there are procedures that private hospitals in the UK can't provide so they have to refer patients for these to the wider embracing NHS hospitals.  Certainly, the underfunded and understaffed NHS do well with their resources Much equipment is also dated, particularly in many hospitals outside London and major towns.  So people should be paying more Tax for a service that is so much in need that it has to employ trained medical staff from other countries  to just about cope.  

You raise some interesting points Barry, in respect of car and house they are my choice, it's not mandatory, money is not taken from me before I see it! And when say an insurance company compensate for a catastrophic event I don't recall ever anyone calling for them to be lauded? As to insurance costing more am I correct in thing the French system has better outcomes and costs less than UK NI, which everyone knows is not a hypothecated tax but another layer of general taxation? As to the NHS being underfunded well this has been the cry every single year I, or anyone else can recall, but with hundreds and hundreds of employees now getting more than the Prime Minister it's hardly surprising. Finally you are an advocate of paying more tax, let me leave you with two thoughts, current levels of taxation are now at the highest level since Harold Wilson about 62%, in the next 5 years current changes alone, already on the books will mean CGT and IHT receipts will rise by 41%. So any grand thoughts about leaving your family in a comfortable place just may have to be tempered somewhat. Unless of course you take the appropriate steps to shield yourself from the worst in which case you will labelled as a vile person😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

You raise some interesting points Barry, in respect of car and house they are my choice, it's not mandatory, money is not taken from me before I see it! And when say an insurance company compensate for a catastrophic event I don't recall ever anyone calling for them to be lauded? As to insurance costing more am I correct in thing the French system has better outcomes and costs less than UK NI, which everyone knows is not a hypothecated tax but another layer of general taxation? As to the NHS being underfunded well this has been the cry every single year I, or anyone else can recall, but with hundreds and hundreds of employees now getting more than the Prime Minister it's hardly surprising. Finally you are an advocate of paying more tax, let me leave you with two thoughts, current levels of taxation are now at the highest level since Harold Wilson about 62%, in the next 5 years current changes alone, already on the books will mean CGT and IHT receipts will rise by 41%. So any grand thoughts about leaving your family in a comfortable place just may have to be tempered somewhat. Unless of course you take the appropriate steps to shield yourself from the worst in which case you will labelled as a vile person😊

It's true that tax is taken from you for health without choice and indeed you could be extremely lucky and never need to see a Doctor, need medical attention of one sort or another or even need any medication but I think this would be very rare even discounting COVID 19 vaxinations but including those that are generally administered in childhood on the NHS.  So even if health contributions were left to choice, how many people would not risk being covered.  So look at your tax contributions as relatively cheap insurance.  A quick search showed that in 2017 the cost of health care per individual in the UK pa was £2913 compared with £3737 in France and £4432 in Germany although both the latter provide quicker and arguably better treatment albeit using different ways to pay for the cost.  If you just don't like having to pay tax consider some people don't want to have children so resent paying so much for education and it's true that those with children benefit most.  However, even though you might not have children yourself, you benefit from them tending your needs in old age and contributing to the economy so you can enjoy the things to which you have come accustomed.  Of course taxation is a controversial subject and I don't believe any of us would wish to pay so much tax that we could not afford to run our Lexus cars, as would be the case for some of us in certain countries!  But don't complain how long it takes to get an appointment with long waiting lists and tardy results, plus being  treated on old equipment (subject to postcode), if you don't want to pay more for the NHS or private Insurance cover.  In fact you are going to have to pay more to cover the cost of increased care for an ageing population anyway.

The fact of the matter is that we as a country and as individuals are living beyond our means,  which is also true of a number of western countries where manufactured goods that at one time contributed to our balance of trade has largely gone to China and Eastern countries plus we are having to pay more for raw materials and foodstuff, yet are living longer. 

Anyway that's far removed from MRI and glad that Piers thought it not so bad as he envisaged.  What is really important is what the MRI reveals and I hope that is not something serious.  However, should this be the case, I can recommend joining a heath forum that covers the particular problem. 

10 hours ago, PCM said:

Well... I have had my MRI scan.

Feeling very spaced out still from the meds ( 4mg Lorezapam ).

( Having to correct almost every word I type.)

Yes, it was better than I thought, but that was no doubt due to...

Really good support from here and practical advice. Thank you so much.

Doing physical exercise in the morning.

Taking sedation ,took away the anxious feeling. Left me very wobbly afterwards,

Music to (attempt) to listen to.

An eye mask - a must; eyes closed.

Excellent and caring staff all the way.

Going in feet first.

Listening to all the odd MRI sounds and 'engaging' with them.

Having a chaperone - my wife.

Having a panic button - not used.

Took 45 minutes to scan.

And yes, told noththing about results as yet...

So pleased to hear that the experience was better than you thought. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome from the scan.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PCM said:

Going in feet first.

Took 45 minutes to scan.

Congrats on getting through it, and being on the other side..

Had an operation in October and I was more terrified of the general and being intubated than the operation (it didn't go well last time) so opted to be fully conscious.

One of the maddest things I've ever done tbh and full theatre with about 7 staff, but tolerated it quite well and chatting throughout.. thanks to the wonders of benzodiazepines and self induced hypnosis.

My very best wishes to you for the results!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris111 said:

So pleased to hear that the experience was better than you thought. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome from the scan.

Well done Chris glad it all went well.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 7:21 AM, PCM said:

Going in feet first.

Took 45 minutes to scan.

I wish you all the very best with your results.

I’ve had one myself. Surprised and yet pleased to hear that this is something that many have gone through. I went in head first but guess that was because it was my head that was being scanned. They said all was ok but they never actually told me whether I had a brain or not. I really should have checked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I wish you all the very best with your results.

I’ve had one myself. Surprised and yet pleased to hear that this is something that many have gone through. I went in head first but guess that was because it was my head that was being scanned. They said all was ok but they never actually told me whether I had a brain or not. I really should have checked.

But if you haven't Paul then how will you know? 🤔🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, Phil xxkr said:

So any grand thoughts about leaving your family in a comfortable place just may have to be tempered somewhat.

come come, get real with this please :wink3:  my kids are going to be in their 80's when I finally pop my clogs ....  the grandkids will be in their 40's ...........  many families the same sort of era lives too ...  well, if they haven't made themselves a comfortable or whatever life long before they think they're relying on my mortal financial remains then their lives will be irreperably sad for a jolly long time to come

Tax 'em to the hilt I say ........  someone's going to hopefully inherit my Ls400, well at least the pile of probable rust that remains ..........  like mine :yahoo:

Oh and Piers, well done, you survived ..  see, I told you it was like a 

" walk in the park "     only in your case on diazapan or whatever it was :thumbsup:

Best wishes Piers

Malc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

" walk in the park "     only in your case on diazapan or whatever it was :thumbsup:

Best wishes Piers

Malc

Thank you.

I felt quite, 'normal' but calm.

Yet the texts I sent my family afterwards to say all finished, were just gibberish.

Amazing and a bit unsettling how (prescribed) drugs and the brain can react.

But glad I took it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc said:

come come, get real with this please :wink3:  my kids are going to be in their 80's when I finally pop my clogs ....  the grandkids will be in their 40's ...........  many families the same sort of era lives too ...  well, if they haven't made themselves a comfortable or whatever life long before they think they're relying on my mortal financial remains then their lives will be irreperably sad for a jolly long time to come

Tax 'em to the hilt I say ........  someone's going to hopefully inherit my Ls400, well at least the pile of probable rust that remains ..........  like mine :yahoo:

Best wishes Piers

Malc

But Malc, that's exactly the point 🎉 your lineage will not inherit the same label of being the "most fortunate generation" so by and large, won't have similar opportunities to hang onto their earnings. Hence the only avenue left will be to take it from you  and remember it will be their turn to be making the rules.😱. And your Ls400? Well I forsee a time when owning/driving such a thing will attract the same sort of social opprobrium as a statue of Cecil Rhodes😒. Only answer is to get Damien Hirst to deconstruct it, pickle it in formaldehyde and show it at the Tate Modern 🤗🤗🤗

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

But if you haven't Paul then how will you know? 🤔🤣🤣

I have no idea! I have shone a torch in through one ear and there is a beam of light coming out through the other ear. Is this normal I wonder?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I have no idea! I have shone a torch in through one ear and there is a beam of light coming out through the other ear. Is this normal I wonder?

Same here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Hmmm? I suspect it's light reflecting from the wife's make up mirror she lost ages ago 🤣

On 8/5/2021 at 6:00 PM, PJD69 said:

Had an operation in October and I was more terrified of the general

^^ I’ve had quite a few operations throughout my life due to the physical disability with which I was born. It’s thanks entirely to the NHS that I can walk and still lead a (relatively) normal life even during the second half of my life. No doubt if I’d been born fifty years earlier I would have been confined to a wheelchair of some kind.

With things like MRIs, general anaesthetic and most things ‘medical’ I’ve found that the fear of the unknown is usually worse than the reality. The stress and anxiety leading up to an appointment doesn’t exactly help matters! I now embrace such things as another life experience. You may think that’s crazy - and maybe it is - but it really helps me. And for the record, I’ve grown to really enjoy a general anaesthetic as I love the warm feeling when I go under. 

I’m reminded of a story I once heard, about an anaesthetist who had an operation in his own hospital, and who had to be anaesthetised by one of his own team. He counted from one to ten - as you do - getting to about 7 before going under. When he came round, he had the presence of mind to wake up saying “…10201, 10202, 10303…”

As you might expect, the staff were first confused, then worried…and finally impressed at the joke.

Glad it went ok @PCM. Best wishes for the results.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Hmmm? I suspect it's light reflecting from the wife's make up mirror she lost ages ago 🤣

That’s a relief to know, thanks Phil! Brain intact then 🤣

• Like 1

In relation to MRI's the whole process of eventually getting them (dependant on your issue) can be quite long and convoluted. I must admit for my third scan (and having previously been through the system and surgery)  I jumped the gun and went to this place. 

https://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/

I paid about £200 back in the day (prices start from £266 now). I was able to send this to my surgeons secretary (NHS) and went straight back on the list without having to wait months for an NHS MRI. I understand now the waiting list for scans etc is longer than ever due to Covid.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:09 AM, First_Lexus said:

^^ I’ve had quite a few operations throughout my life due to the physical disability with which I was born. It’s thanks entirely to the NHS that I can walk and still lead a (relatively) normal life even during the second half of my life. No doubt if I’d been born fifty years earlier I would have been confined to a wheelchair of some kind.

With things like MRIs, general anaesthetic and most things ‘medical’ I’ve found that the fear of the unknown is usually worse than the reality. The stress and anxiety leading up to an appointment doesn’t exactly help matters! I now embrace such things as another life experience. You may think that’s crazy - and maybe it is - but it really helps me. And for the record, I’ve grown to really enjoy a general anaesthetic as I love the warm feeling when I go under. 

I’m reminded of a story I once heard, about an anaesthetist who had an operation in his own hospital, and who had to be anaesthetised by one of his own team. He counted from one to ten - as you do - getting to about 7 before going under. When he came round, he had the presence of mind to wake up saying “…10201, 10202, 10303…”

As you might expect, the staff were first confused, then worried…and finally impressed at the joke.

Glad it went ok @PCM. Best wishes for the results.

WRT my comment you replied to re general anaesthetic, wasn't going into detail it's someone else's thread - but was terrified was because the last one was fine had lovely little sleep - until I got home and spent the night throwing up blood into a bucket. I think they struggled intubating me, a totally rare occurrence no doubt, but my cunning plan was by remaining awake during the latest operation, I shall avoid repeating that! 

Agree wrt treating these things as an experience, an "adventure" even.. and having had a few procedures done, concur the usually fear is worse than the reality. 

Have a good friend who is really grounded and very philosophical take on life, first contact I had from him after he had a cardiac NDE was (paraphrasing..) 'wow.. that was mad what an amazing experience!'   

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 8:08 PM, Herbie said:

Well done Piers, glad you're all sorted.

Fingers crossed for a good result 🤞

Well, It's a good result.

I got a clear scan and a 1 to 2, out of 5, of 'getting' cancer (again), 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest.

So, if you're interested, I'll have a another blood test in 4 months and 4 months after that.

It's a good result.

Thank you for ALL your supportive comments and practical advice.

My advice? For an MRI, a mild sedative does help, a mask does help, feet first does help, if an option.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, PCM said:

I got a clear scan and a 1 to 2, out of 5, of 'getting' cancer (again), 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest.

So, if you're interested, I'll have a another blood test in 4 months and 4 months after that.

It's a good result.

My advice? For an MRI, a mild sedative does help, a mask does help, feet first does help, if an option.

Be having you appear in Dr Kildare soon😂 great news Piers, I recall what it was like 👍🤗

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PCM said:

It's a good result.

Thanks for completing the circle Piers and welcome back to the World!😊😊😊

• Like 1