Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Actually it does have relevance but we will pass on that one. But you are correct Linus! I was being an Agent Provocateur!

Winding people up has no place in this forum.

10 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Good to know. How about constantly criticising someones choice of car ? Is that not a wind up .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Good to know. How about constantly criticising someones choice of car ? Is that not a wind up .

Site Management

The club moderation team may at its absolute discretion, remove or edit any post, signature or profile with or without notice or explanation, this will be after consideration of the rules regarding, unauthorised advertising or soliciting, abusive or antisocial behaviour or any other action which violates the club Terms and Conditions. If you are unsure about whether your post will be allowed under these rules, please seek guidance from a moderator before you post. Moderators within the club are appointed by the management to volunteer and moderate topics and posts within the club and have the right to remove, edit or alter any post they see fit that bides with these terms and conditions on this website. Any members opposing a moderator’s decision should do so with the moderator directly by using PM or email in a professional manner. Any member purposely creating posts or threads opposing a moderators’ decision will result in the member’s forum account being closed permanently. Members should also be reminded that we do not tolerate ANY rudeness to staff members whatsoever whether it is done through the website, PM system or email. ANY form of hostility or abuse to a member of the moderation team, as a result of their enforcing any of the club’s rules, will result in the permanent banning of the offending member from the club, without notice.

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I have not forgotten to include the electric motor and as well you can't simply just add figures together and claim total number. The number (181hp) quoted are peak power and electric motor does not actually add anything to peak power, where it add something is low down torque. Most importantly it does not matter what electric motor adds, because the actual performance is what is lacking. In short what matters is how car performs, not what figures are on the paper and IS300h is slow regardless of which figure of engine power you will claim. 

All the specs I have read, I have just checked, state 219 bhp

1 hour ago, Derant said:

All the specs I have read, I have just checked, state 219 bhp

That's because that is what it has 😉

Some people post misinformation either through ignorance, making things up to suit their own narrative or to wind people up however the facts are for a Toyota hybrid vehicle, engine power and electric power are combined but with the total system power being less than simply adding the two power sources together at their peak power because they don't produce peak power at the same time and the hybrid transmission and control system limits total power.

Numbers slightly vary year to year as tweaks are made for emissions etc. but for a UK supplied IS300h in 2018:

max engine power output: 178 bhp

max motor power output: 141 bhp

max system power output: 220 bhp

• Like 1

Ok, yes... I was wrong about total peak power. I just remember it was not engine power + electric motor power combined. Yet I still think it is not relevant. I said IS300h is slow car, whenever it has 178bhp or 181hp or whatever other number of power - it does not make car faster.

As for those offended that I am "hating" IS300h, I am not hating it. It is great car for what it is - reliable, economical, well build etc. but it isn't fast. I can't argue if it is fast enough, because it is subjective, from my experience and my needs it isn't either.

Whenever it is fast "enough" for other people  - they will need to try it for themselves and that is what I said in my first reply. It surely will not be as fast as IS200t, nor comparable cars from competition, but neither that makes it overall worse car. Both cars are compromise - IS200t is unnecessary compromise of fuel consumption, by which I mean that car uses far more fuel than it's performance would justify and IS300h is compromise on performance, because it is far slower than the badge and other stats on paper would indicate.

If people can't live with the truth about their cars, that is not my problem - I am here not to blindly flatter every owner and every car just to be nice... truth is not always nice.

10 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I accept your admonishment Mike. I will also consider the ignore facility. 

The post above says it all to me.

8 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Any members opposing a moderator’s decision should do so with the moderator directly by using PM or email in a professional manner. Any member purposely creating posts or threads opposing a moderators’ decision will result in the member’s forum account being closed permanently. 

Well said Mike. I agree 100% and find it incredible that you should be warned when the troublemaker is still free to cause such disruption. If you are banned I’m leaving too, for good. 

34 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Ok, yes... I was wrong about total peak power. I just remember it was not engine power + electric motor power combined. Yet I still think it is not relevant. I said IS300h is slow car, whenever it has 178bhp or 181hp or whatever other number of power - it does not make car faster.

As for those offended that I am "hating" IS300h, I am not hating it. It is great car for what it is - reliable, economical, well build etc. but it isn't fast. I can't argue if it is fast enough, because it is subjective, from my experience and my needs it isn't either.

Whenever it is fast "enough" for other people  - they will need to try it for themselves and that is what I said in my first reply. It surely will not be as fast as IS200t, nor comparable cars from competition, but neither that makes it overall worse car. Both cars are compromise - IS200t is unnecessary compromise of fuel consumption, by which I mean that car uses far more fuel than it's performance would justify and IS300h is compromise on performance, because it is far slower than the badge and other stats on paper would indicate.

If people can't live with the truth about their cars, that is not my problem - I am here not to blindly flatter every owner and every car just to be nice... truth is not always nice.

Linas, old pal, it would be helpful if you were to accept that just as TIME is not absolute, so Truth is not absolute either. The Gospel according to Linas does not bear examination.

You display a rare but unwelcome ability to both impress and dismay Members at the same time. Please be a little more civil and understanding of your colleagues on this Forum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Linas, old pal, it would be helpful if you were to accept that just as TIME is not absolute, so Truth is not absolute either. The Gospel according to Linas does not bear examination.

You display a rare but unwelcome ability to both impress and dismay Members at the same time. Please be a little more civil and understanding of your colleagues on this Forum.

Thanks for advice, but despite obviously not being as wise as yourself I am still experienced enough to know that one can never please everyone. As such I will leave it for the member to decide whenever they like what I am saying or not. I am not posting to get positive reactions, I am just posting to share my opinion and sometimes some facts - if somebody get's offended by that, then I am sorry... don't blame me, blame facts. As for opinions, people just have different opinions - that is normal and I never going to be offended about opinion which is other than mine. 

• Sad 1

Can I just say - as a Lexus owner - that I could not be happier with my car. It is comfortable, well built, reliable and economic. In sport mode it also has good acceleration when it is required.

• Like 2

Time for some relaxation.

I owned both an IS250 and 300H and drove well over 100k km with them so can well compare. before that several Saabs (including a tuned 2 ltr) and in between BMW320i and after Volvo's XC40 and now V60T5.

Let me start by saying that in my opinion all figures for acceleration of 0 -100km or weight are pointless just like the official fuel consumption. For me it is about how a car feels in handling, cornering, braking. For the engine its about how the power develops and is sent to the wheels, the torque at low or high revs, does the power translate in acceleration or does it get lost due to bad chassis etc. As we are talking about the 300Hybrid with CVT box i can clearly state that that combination worked well for me. It offered a sublimely comfortable ride, from standstill low end torque from the Battery and the engine taking over smoothles as well. In town the CVT is a dream, never gearhunting, never in wrong gear love it. A small blip of the throttle and its sailing to the next traffic light. Most spectacular was the fuelconsumption in town or B roads that is not much different than highway although different people will have different drivingstyles/consumption. Mine was first batch and there was an issue with drivetrain vibrations when the engine kicks in and out on the highway but this was resolved by the dealer. Other than that both Lexuses were rock solid, not even a lightbulb going wrong. I loved the styling of both, the interior, the materials and build quality and especially the feeling the cars give you by driving something special and exclusive. From all the above cars i liked the 300H the most. Was it the fastest? no that was the Saab but that car was a challenge to keep on the road so bad was the chassis. Was it the most practical? no that is the current V70 being an estate, did it on paper have the most powerful engine? no that is the current V70 although it just feels slower to drive. I would choose the IS any day of the week.

In today's traffic with congestion, speed traps and slow moving lorries all over the place i just don't see how you can use more power, the IS was adequate + for me and even if i would have a 700 horsepower Mclaren i would be in the same traffic jam. Pointless. Its a shame that new revamped IS models are not coming this side ( am told its about crash/safety standards so i expect they will be killed off in the states soon as well) as i would definitely go for one. Sum it up, for me the IS300H was a great and enjoyable car and i am sure it will be good second hand buy. However buy from a dealer with as much warranty as possible and do the hybrid check.

If its not your cup of tea, fine just buy something else, no stress.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Time for some relaxation.

I owned both an IS250 and 300H and drove well over 100k km with them so can well compare. before that several Saabs (including a tuned 2 ltr) and in between BMW320i and after Volvo's XC40 and now V60T5.

Let me start by saying that in my opinion all figures for acceleration of 0 -100km or weight are pointless just like the official fuel consumption. For me it is about how a car feels in handling, cornering, braking. For the engine its about how the power develops and is sent to the wheels, the torque at low or high revs, does the power translate in acceleration or does it get lost due to bad chassis etc. As we are talking about the 300Hybrid with CVT box i can clearly state that that combination worked well for me. It offered a sublimely comfortable ride, from standstill low end torque from the battery and the engine taking over smoothles as well. In town the CVT is a dream, never gearhunting, never in wrong gear love it. A small blip of the throttle and its sailing to the next traffic light. Most spectacular was the fuelconsumption in town or B roads that is not much different than highway although different people will have different drivingstyles/consumption. Mine was first batch and there was an issue with drivetrain vibrations when the engine kicks in and out on the highway but this was resolved by the dealer. Other than that both Lexuses were rock solid, not even a lightbulb going wrong. I loved the styling of both, the interior, the materials and build quality and especially the feeling the cars give you by driving something special and exclusive. From all the above cars i liked the 300H the most. Was it the fastest? no that was the Saab but that car was a challenge to keep on the road so bad was the chassis. Was it the most practical? no that is the current V70 being an estate, did it on paper have the most powerful engine? no that is the current V70 although it just feels slower to drive. I would choose the IS any day of the week.

In today's traffic with congestion, speed traps and slow moving lorries all over the place i just don't see how you can use more power, the IS was adequate + for me and even if i would have a 700 horsepower Mclaren i would be in the same traffic jam. Pointless. Its a shame that new revamped IS models are not coming this side ( am told its about crash/safety standards so i expect they will be killed off in the states soon as well) as i would definitely go for one. Sum it up, for me the IS300H was a great and enjoyable car and i am sure it will be good second hand buy. However buy from a dealer with as much warranty as possible and do the hybrid check.

If its not your cup of tea, fine just buy something else, no stress.

You have summed up exactly my feelings. Sometimes a car is more than the sum of it's parts. I was reading some long term reviews of the IS 300h and it was interesting that after sometimes less than favourable initial impressions they found the car very much fit the world of driving most of us do on a day to day basis and it altered their perceptions accordingly. I have been delighted in my choice and after nearly 5 years and 60K+ miles in mine (it is a 2014 model and now has 104k miles on it) I still don't want to change it. Unfortunately one day I will have to - but to what I really don't know... As always YMMV.

• Like 4

It seems I have to leave you guys to flatter each other and recharge your vitally from my constant reminders about pesky reality, I understand that sometimes being in a dream is just so much more satisfying. I have obviously stated my opinion, so no point in repeating it again - if anyone wanted to hear both sides, then clearly they have enough to go with already.

I am often being accused of not hearing the other side and not appreciating other perspective, but it still surprising how many people cannot accept and are even offended by somebody who simply has different needs for performance and driving dynamics. Almost as if it would be a crime to have faster car. 

As for OP, I said it in the beginning and I will repeat the most important part - don't listen to opinion (including mine), go and test drive few cars and decide for yourself if you satisfied with performance, it is not us who will have to live with that car. 

The third lane of the motorway being for overtaking is absolutely correct, but I object to other drivers trying to push me out of it and by this I mean, my travelling at exactly 70 mph to pass a driver in the middle lane doing 60 mph, but some idiot in a German company car behind me trying to reach 100 plus. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

The third lane of the motorway being for overtaking is absolutely correct, but I object to other drivers trying to push me out of it and by this I mean, my travelling at exactly 70 mph to pass a driver in the middle lane doing 60 mph, but some idiot in a German company car behind me trying to reach 100 plus. 

Speeding is police issue to deal with, not yours. Because people feel entitled to police the roads it just causes more chaos and more delays for everyone. By the way exactly 70MPH indicated will actually be ~63-66MPH. As well this should not be an issue if you checked your mirrors before starting to overtake (as required by same highway code) i.e. if you see car coming at speed in outside lane and there is no way you can overtake car in front at leisurely speed without slowing it down, then sensible driver would wait for the "idiot" to pass at whatever speed they are doing and only then start overtaking. Perhaps you want to make a statement and remind them of the speed limits and I kind of appreciate that, but again that is police job and it just causes unnecessary conflict on the road, where is plenty conflict already.

30 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Talking about yourself now Linas? You seem to issues with anybody having a different opinion than the self proclaimed truth definitions statistics and facts from yourself. Combine that with an aggressive attitude and voila! There you have it.

I read a lot of your posts and sometimes they are very informative and entertaining certainly full of knowledge. But sometimes i get the idea you are having a debating-match and winning seems to be the holy grail.

anyway, have a good weekend im signing off!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Talking about yourself now Linas? You seem to issues with anybody having a different opinion than the self proclaimed truth definitions statistics and facts from yourself. Combine that with an aggressive attitude and voila! There you have it.

I read a lot of your posts and sometimes they are very informative and entertaining certainly full of knowledge. But sometimes i get the idea you are having a debating-match and winning seems to be the holy grail.

I have no issues with different opinion, unless somebody have opinion on facts... that is simply not something one can have opinion about. If I ever wrong about facts (i.e. I have opinion which is objectively wrong) then I take it back and acknowledge what is an actual fact. Take for example where I am wrong about IS300h making 181hp, I am just wrong and Colin is right I can't really have differing opinion on it.

Same for yourself, I feel various opinions and knowledge you share adds to very informative and beneficial community. I wish you have great weekend as well!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

t seems I have to leave you guys to flatter each other and recharge your vitally from my constant reminders about pesky reality

Linas the only reason I joined this thread was because in answer to the OP question on economy you stated he would get 32-38 mpg, that’s not reality, pesky or otherwise, along with maximum power of 181bhp, again wrong and your opinion the car is slow (I accept different people have different needs) again as an actual owner I disagree.

anyway have a good weekend, there are more important things to get hot under the collar about 

edit: just decided... I probably should stop posting as it is inevitable we will go in circles discussing irrelevant and subjective experiences. 

have a good day... 😄

Edited by Linas.P

I have never driven an IS300H and probably if I tried it would be fast for me. But this is simply because I usually drive a V2 Prius. I think Linas has explained why IS300H is slow compared to other competitors but probably IS300H owners disagree because for their needs and feelings the car is fast enough. If I ever manage to buy a GS450H (I am still looking for one) I would probably be shocked by the difference in performance with my Prius. Would the GS450H be considered a fast car? Surely for my needs and experience. 

• Haha 1

My F sport averages about 43mpg, my subaru impreza WR1 averaged about 20mpg, less booting it on B rds. but it's 0-60 was 4.25s Prodrive figures. My 2.0TDi Skoda Octavia vRS DSG was similar 0-60 to Lexus but it felt as if it accelerated harder but driving the Lexus it's quieter and smoother and suddenly you're over 90mph ... and it's a great style car which is a consideration I make too. I do miss the direct connection between my right foot, the engine revs and acceleration but the car is fast although not in a blast around the B roads way as ecvt smooths it all out.

The electric motor with its instant torque added to the petrol engine provides a quick getaway from the lights compared to a DSG car whch has a split second delay when pulling away.

Like a lot of things cars are a compromise, you just have to decide which ones you can live with.

1 hour ago, serbarry said:

I have never driven an IS300H and probably if I tried it would be fast for me. But this is simply because I usually drive a V2 Prius. I think Linas has explained why IS300H is slow compared to other competitors but probably IS300H owners disagree because for their needs and feelings the car is fast enough. If I ever manage to buy a GS450H (I am still looking for one) I would probably be shocked by the difference in performance with my Prius. Would the GS450H be considered a fast car? Surely for my needs and experience. 

I can't see how else it would feel after a Prius. Sudden acceleration from stationary, strong linear pull from a naturally aspirated V6 powering the planetary gear system. Getting you in jail in no time. 90mph in 10 seconds, 150mph in 30s.

2 hours ago, mikejt said:

My F sport averages about 43mpg, my subaru impreza WR1 averaged about 20mpg, less booting it on B rds. but it's 0-60 was 4.25s Prodrive figures. My 2.0TDi Skoda Octavia vRS DSG was similar 0-60 to Lexus but it felt as if it accelerated harder but driving the Lexus it's quieter and smoother and suddenly you're over 90mph ... and it's a great style car which is a consideration I make too. I do miss the direct connection between my right foot, the engine revs and acceleration but the car is fast although not in a blast around the B roads way as ecvt smooths it all out.

The electric motor with its instant torque added to the petrol engine provides a quick getaway from the lights compared to a DSG car whch has a split second delay when pulling away.

Like a lot of things cars are a compromise, you just have to decide which ones you can live with.

Anyway, I bought the Lexus because it won't blow up and drop its crankshaft on the road when I do test the acceleration. 

• Like 3